The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha FZ-07 based retro bike, XSR700

mines13

Yamaha reveal retro-inspired XSR700
1YamahaXSR700.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

2YamahaXSR700.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

3YamahaXSR700.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down
Yamaha’s Sport Heritage family has spawned another member in the shape of this retrosexual new street roadster. Visually, the new XSR700 – the name pays homage to the XS650 – delivers a rather pleasing blend of modern and retro, while being underpinned by the engine from the wildly popular MT-07 – MCN's Bike of the Year 2014.

A two-texture leather seat unit sits atop an easily customizable bolt-on rear sub-frame. The old-school style headlight replaces the angular MT units, and the aluminium tank unit is a real highlight of authenticity. Yamaha called this new style philosophy ‘Faster Sons’, and this year’s Wheels & Waves event saw them unveil a special build under that name, conceived and created by Los Angeles based Japanese bike builder Shinya Kimura (see both bikes in action).

XSR700 Highlights

Two-texture leather seat
Aluminium retro fuel tank
Aluminium fender
Aluminium headlight bracket
Wide tapered back handlebars
Mesh side panels
Stubby rear muffler
Embroidered seat logo
Wide range of customization accessories
A period style speedometer – which closely mirrors the one used on the firm's XV950, along with the lights – sits between the wide tapered back handlebars. A short stubby rear muffler provides the right soundtrack and Pirelli Phantom tyres front and rear not only look the part with their authentic pattern, but also do the job to keep the rider connected to the road.

At its heart is the 700cc parallel-twin from the MT-07, delivering perky performance, and plenty of character from its 270-degree crank. The wheels are lightweight 10-spoke aluminium items, with stopping power courtesy of 282mm wavy discs and 4-pot calipers at the front and ABS as standard.

There’ll be a wide range of accessories for riders to use a customization pool, and there will also be a complete range of rider apparel, too.

The XSR700 will be available from November 2015, with prices set to be announced at this year’s Motorcycle Live in November 28 –December 6.

Chassis highlights

Compact, lightweight chassis
Short 530mm swing-arm
Easily customizable, bolt-on rear sub-frame
Rear Monocross horizontal shock system
Standard with ABS
Engine highlights

700cc inline 2-cylinder engine
Crossplane engine design philosophy
Deep linear torque
270-degree crank for strong acceleration and traction
Smooth, exciting power delivery to high rpm
Colours

Forest Green
Garage Metal

• Like 7

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

What do y'all think? I kinda like it, but the scrambler type bikes are always appealing to me. A second bike is probably on the horizon but this doesn't seem like a viable option due to redundancy in platform. I look forward to see some modded ones around the web. 

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/yamaha-xsr700-revealed/27967.html

79813.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I think that would look sick with clip-ons, but otherwise, I find it kind of ugly.

• Premium Member

BRAVO! Well done on their part. That is about as modern you can go while still maintaining a retro feel.

I prefer the Ducati Scrambler to this but i think im heavily biased in that ive owned an FZ and i would see ZERO point in going down that road again simply for some different ergo's and looks.

EDIT:

Y'know, after taking a second look at the gallery pictures, its growing on me.  I think this could be an awesome bike as it takes away some of the things that i DIDNT like about my FZ. The other added benefit is that some of those factory black parts will bolt right onto an FZ and replace the annoying blingy silver bits.

Any way you slice the pie, this is a good addition the family and i hope Yamaha sells a billion of them.

Lastly, that dash is AWESOME.  If i still had my FZ id find a way to glue that darned thing onto it!

Ah, one question.  Why does all of the writing describe the engine as 700 cc's?  I was under the impression the motor was 689?

I totally dig it.  I was actually cross shopping the Ducati Scrambler against our bike, but it just didn't feel like it was better to ride in any way.  I just picked mine up last Saturday and love it, but if I knew about the XSR I probably would have waited even if it is a grand more.  All that said I am perfectly happy with what I have. :D 

Its basically a super naked fz07. I like it by thinking of the customization possibilities. Change the seat to a cafe racer seat. Get a sleeker aluminum gas tank. Clip ons. Mag wheels. And a different headlight. Obviously a new exhaust... Cafe racer build that performs like a FZ07?? **** YA!

I was thinking about getting a second bike to build it into a cafe racer... but this. I can fuse the two together!

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

The benefit of Yamaha making all these variants of the FZ is that parts are going to come down in price. This may take a few years but, it will drive up competitors and down the prices.

• Premium Member

I really dig it! -- and I'm digging that factory flat black parts that fit our bikes will soon be on the market. :)

• Like 1

Well shet, I'm like almost done building the new FJ-07 forum. And then Yamaha drops this. Wow. A lil voice in my head said that Yamaha might do a custom version, I should have listened to it.

Time to roll up my sleeves, change the new forum and get ready for the XSR-700. Looking at it, if the price is right, this bike will be popular.

But, is it coming to the USA?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I like it a lot, especially the jazzy stripe on the tank! @rotaryryan24's radiator guard would match too.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I love it! Will be looking for a headlight swap once parts become available!

• Like 1

FZ07 Mods: Akrapovic Ti - Shorai Lithium Battery - Pazzo Levers - OEM Flyscreen

Well shet, I'm like almost done building the new FJ-07 forum. And then Yamaha drops this. Wow. A lil voice in my head said that Yamaha might do a custom version, I should have listened to it.  
Time to roll up my sleeves, change the new forum and get ready for the XSR-700. Looking at it, if the price is right, this bike will be popular.

But, is it coming to the USA?
Not confirmed, but with the Ducati Scrambler being sold here I would bet on it, it's simply low hanging fruit too good pass up.
  • Like 1

The issue I see is that Yamaha is really slow on keeping up with availible parts. Guys on the FJ-09 board are going crazy waiting on parts that they ordered 6 months ago. People will buy this wanting custom parts.

Guys who can build parts for this in their shop, they have an opportunity to make a ton of money as supporting vendors., if they are Johnny on the spot. @wickedtwister @pattonme @rotaryryan24

The customization of this bike will be thru the freakin roof. Look at the money spent on the stupid little Grom custom parts. This thing is gonna be made into 1000 different versions by it's owners and the new XSR-700 Forum will be a fun place.

I have major love for the FZ-07, but this bike is gonna freakin rock.

Will there be a combined forum for all the 07s? XSR, FZ and FJ? Seems to make sense since they're all basically the same bike.

No word on the FJ-07 being released yet. Im pretty sure it is still coming, Yamaha might drop it as a surprise in November, or wait a while. I dunno?

This forum can serve as base info for all 07 bikes, but the XSR-700 deserves it's own forum because of all of the customization possibilities. It will be a very unique bike.

I have already created a section here for the XSR-700, and moved this thread into it. But I am building a separate forum as well because if I don't someone else will. My supporting vendors will want to be a part of both.

alright, guess I will finally get around to making rearsets for the FZ07 family. The current ~$400 isn't too bad but the $800+ being demanded strikes me as a tad outrageous.
You can't have a retro/scrambler without rearsets. ;-)

I wish they had put the 80's classic UJM headlight on it. Oh well.

• Like 2
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I would like to steel the speedo off of this bike and throw it on my FZ07 I like how it's just a circle. Mind you it may very well look out of place. This is a nice looking bike though. I hope we will see some cafe racer versions when people start customising this sucker it's basically meant for that.

mrlameslacks

I think it looks pretty good. We already know its fun to ride right? haha
Maybe they do something about the suspension, sure would be nice.

Friend will be buying a FZ07 soon and prefers the look of this headlight compared to factory. Would be easy to convert once this bike is released.

Over the last half hour, my take on this bike went from: Holy crap that's sweet! -> meh, kinda cool -> really, I just want to steal some small pieces for Fizzy.

• Like 2

I'm a fan of the overall design. One thing that I don't like is that it's going to be noticeably heavier then the FZ at 410 lbs DRY. A metal tank and heavier seat will do that I guess.

With all the mods I did to my FZ, it's weighing in at less then 390 lbs WET these days (had it weighed). Can't give that up just for retro love.

• Premium Member

I like the seat, tank and headlight enough to throw those parts on my bike.

In fact, I'd probably go for this if it was available at the time of purchase and didn't cost >$1k in extras. I expect it to fall just under the price point of Ducati's scrambler, maybe a tad lower.

Everything went braap.