The MT-07 Forum

Accent Lighting Installed

No Hater

• Premium Member

Well, after cruising around at night I realized the blurple/grey bike might look nice with some blue lighting from under the bike.  I had not seen anybody else do it on the Z so the parts and pieces to do it sat around for a while in the garage until I could mentally come to a conclusion as to how I would rig it all up.  

I decided to go with all weather blue LED light strips, a resistor so they don't get too hot  along with a toggle switch and then fuze just to be safe. This way I can turn it on or off while parked or when I see cops. I put the toggle on the airbox cover. 

0802151515.jpg

0802151516b.jpg

0802151517.jpg

0802151517a.jpg

Looks nice! I thought of doing something like this but knowing my luck, I'd get pulled over even if I wasn't driving with them on. :P

• Premium Member

That's awesome, it looks like your power source is other worldly. The first cold fusion powered blurple? Well done.

And I bet it gets some looks and comments at a traffic light.

Databyter

Nice man! If you ordered the parts online, can you link them? Wonder how my white bike would look with white or maybe blue lights...

• Premium Member
Nice man! If you ordered the parts online, can you link them? Wonder how my white bike would look with white or maybe blue lights...
LEDs  ....ebay or wish.com,  ~$5 4Pcs 30cm 3528 SMD 15 LED Car Trucks Motor Grill Flexible Waterproof Light Strips BW2C

Toggle switch  95 Cents
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/switches-for-tractors/mini-onoff-toggle-switch-wired/1356/3109/   

Load resistor....~$5  (pack of 4)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-load-resistor-fix-led-bulb-fast-flash-turn-signal-blink-blinker-25w-8ohm-/181321906407?hash=item2a37a0b8e7&vxp=mtr

Inline fuse.....~$5  (Pack of 4 or 5)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-In-Line-Standard-Blade-Fuse-Holder-Splash-Proof-for-12V-30A-Fuses-Car-Bike-/381312650692?hash=item58c8014dc4

Then heat shrink wire sleeves, wires and solder from your local walmart or auto part store. 

All in it should be under under $30 although thats with more supplies left over. A roll of wire is $6. 

• Premium Member
I like it. I'm not brave enough to do it myself though.
Its not too difficult man. I had never done it before either. Here are a couple different way to wire it up.  
I wired all the lights to one lead, then the resister to the positive battery terminal and the positive lead for the lights. Then the negative from the lights to the toggle and the toggle to the fuse, then the fuse to the negative terminal on the battery.  Similar to the first picture below except I put a resistor in line figuring coming from the battery would be too much power for the wimpy LEDs. If you do it, you should make sure the resistor is mounted to something metal so it can dissipate the heat (heat exchanger). I mounted to the bracket going over the battery.

It was honestly more difficult figuring out how to secure the lights in a good spot than anything else.

• Global Moderator

Never been a big fan of led backlighting/underglow effects on autos/bikes

But ill make the exception here, it looks damn good on your blurple

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Never been a big fan of led backlighting/underglow effects on autos/bikes 
But ill make the exception here, it looks damn good on your blurple
I have always felt the same way. That being said, I tried to keep the lights pointed down within the mold lines of the bike and tried not to mount them so that you could actually see the LEDs. 
I really don't like seeing bike with lights glowing all around the bike. That reminds me of a Christmas tree.

Looks nice. I saw some purple LED's and thought they would look cool with blurple/grey. Hey, maybe now cager's will pay attention to you ... at night anyway.

Beemer

So @nohater, did you just put 2 LED strips under the gas tank or did you put more in other places?

• Premium Member
So @nohater, did you just put 2 LED strips under the gas tank or did you put more in other places?
I put two under the tank (really under the frame) going left to right (forward and aft) and then I put two under the air box front to back (one left one right)....so 4 all together. Any more than that it may be overkill. You cannot see any of the actual LEDs except maybe one of them in the back. I think that is the key to avoid the Christmas tree look.  

I put two under the tank (really under the frame) going left to right (forward and aft) and then I put two under the air box front to back (one left one right)....so 4 all together. Any more than that it may be overkill. You cannot see any of the actual LEDs except maybe one of them in the back. I think that is the key to avoid the Christmas tree look.
Cool. Thanks for the help.

Archived