The MT-07 Forum

Project FZ-0MBIE Apocalype photo log!

zombiphone

Alrighty! So I bought this bike maybe..... 4 weeks ago, now, and I did so with the intent of turning it into a sport tourer/mild scrambler for some moto camping and long distance trips. Because I'm also an effing nerd, though, every time I looked at it, I wanted to make it more and more post apocalyptic machine-esque (not that it doesn't fit the part perfectly right out of the box). Not sure if anyone is interested in stuff like this, and there's not a whole lot done yet, but I just thought it might be fun to log my progress on here in case anyone is curious.

To start, my bike came basically bone stock, save an akrapovic exhaust and some tank grips. This was it the day I brought it home: 
11796433_10206030971071437_2651182712912333979_n.jpg?oh=a2c2f8582eb9dc7636b664765c013103&oe=5713D68E

After the first ride going over 65mph, I knew I needed a windscreen, and because I planned to take it all kinds of places, and I'm... more than a little clumsy, I wanted some kind of crash protection. I was initially going to go with simple frame sliders, but I determined I might want something more if I ever dropped this thing alone in the backroads of BFE. After much research and deciding it wasn't worth the high cost of importing parts from Europe's motocage, I ordered a Puig touring windscreen, and the Hepco & Becker engine guards.

The windscreen was obviously an easy install, as should have been the guards, BUT, I discovered shortly after trying to test fit them that I was being cock blocked by california emissions equipment (Yay california!):

pSk1qZ.jpg

Since the environment should never get in the way of pimping out a motorcycle, I ripped that shet clean out:

12003981_10206262381416551_2583734040822162987_n.jpg?oh=57da3c4ba4f85e7899165e9c408b3032&oe=56DB059C
This bitch right here. 

The crash bars were an easy install. Just needed a 6mm allen key socket and a 17mm socket on a breaker bar to break free the Engine mount bolts. Wasn't sure what I thought about them at first, but now that I see them mounted, I'm pretty obsessed! And the wind screen was night and day on the freeway! My gas mileage improved and at 5'6", the protection is about as good as it was on my old SV650S model with a double bubble. Here's what it looks like now:

11999056_10206262381776560_6027069666208373207_n.jpg?oh=f12d74c61e7ff377d9e232732108082b&oe=56AA7397
11990546_10206262382176570_3634697170627619706_n.jpg?oh=d796dc875a1228afc480012dd48eec77&oe=56D5B4E7

Still much more to come! Next, I'm looking to add some form of lever guards/bark busters, some hard case panniers, and possibly a skid plate as money permits. If the need arises, I might end up swapping out my suspension too, but for now I'm content with the performance. Lots of things are available for these already on the other side of the pond, so it should be interesting to see what all I can do before any kind of ghetto rigging and fabrication is needed. 

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like those engine bars. They look better protecting than just sliders, and aren't an obtrusive as some of the crash cages I've seen.

• Premium Member

I plan to take mine on some dirt roads out in Anza Borego where I like to go shooting. Ideally it can get me in as far or potentially farther than my Subaru. I was thinking along the same lines and have some uninstalled Puig Frame sliders, and Yamaha Engine guards, and some Yamaha Saddlebags (unfortunately the dealer ordered the wrong ones and I couldn't change it because it was in my finance deal, but I still haven't installed them, or even opened the parts box for the install kit), I also want some bar end protectors and I suppose some axle sliders. I have installed a Vstream windscreen and I like it.

I have really put off the sliders, guards, protectors, and bags, because I like how my bike looks and behaves as is. But I know eventually I am gonna want to go exploring, or camping with it, and I want to see if it can get into some of those canyons and if it can be handled safely on dirt and light sand. And I know at some point that means I might drop it, probably at a lower speed, so all the above should help. On the other hand, I am thinking about just getting another bike for that purpose and leaving this one alone hehe.

Anyway, enjoy the journey man. I'll be interested to see what a post apocalyptic Zombie hunting bike looks like. What do you think about dual sport tires?

Databyter

• Premium Member
I like those engine bars. They look better protecting than just sliders, and aren't an obtrusive as some of the crash cages I've seen.
Yup, and high enough not to get in the way in a lean unlike some overthought cages.

Databyter

That's what I was thinking. I figured the full cages would add a lot of weight, and I've heard crashes usually end really poorly when crashed above the <5mph they're intended for (And I have less than zero interest in stunting),

But, some of the BMW ADV guys I know swear by hepco & becker, and I like that these stick out enough to save the tank. If I ever have the misfortune to review how they perform, I'll be sure to update, But for now I just like that they look cool :D

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

I plan to take mine on some dirt roads out in Anza Borego where I like to go shooting. Ideally it can get me in as far or potentially farther than my Subaru. I was thinking along the same lines and have some uninstalled Puig Frame sliders, and Yamaha Engine guards, and some Yamaha Saddlebags (unfortunately the dealer ordered the wrong ones and I couldn't change it because it was in my finance deal, but I still haven't installed them, or even opened the parts box for the install kit), I also want some bar end protectors and I suppose some axle sliders. I have installed a Vstream windscreen and I like it. 
I have really put off the sliders, guards, protectors, and bags, because I like how my bike looks and behaves as is. But I know eventually I am gonna want to go exploring, or camping with it, and I want to see if it can get into some of those canyons and if it can be handled safely on dirt and light sand. And I know at some point that means I might drop it, probably at a lower speed, so all the above should help. On the other hand, I am thinking about just getting another bike for that purpose and leaving this one alone hehe.

Anyway, enjoy the journey man. I'll be interested to see what a post apocalyptic Zombie hunting bike looks like. What do you think about dual sport tires?
Anza Borrego? Are you in Socal? That's on my list of places to check out in the near future :D  
I love the look and handling as is too, but I also know how good I'm not at dirt biking, haha. I figured I'll wish I had these if I ever take it down a fire road and it doesn't go as smooth as it should, which is probably inevitable for camping. A bike intended for it would definitely be better, but I'm not tall enough for a real adv bike, and I don't want a 250 single for long distances so I'm gonna take the inappropriate equipment in out of the way places approach :P

Awesome though! If you end up going a similar route, I'd love to see pictures. I totally forgot axle sliders were a thing, but I'm putting that on the short list, too

• Premium Member

That's pretty rad, I dig the concept. I would one day like to build a mad max esque b.o.b. (bug out bike)

Got any bikes you're pulling inspiration from? The Icon Dromedari comes to my mind.

Good luck, keep us inforned.

Everything went braap.

Nope, no specific inspiration other than a lifelong obsession with sci-fi fantasy dystopia stories, haha. I've dreamt of one day going on a cross country type adventure since I got my first bike some 6 1/2 years ago, and the when I first saw the FZ, it just hit every note right, aesthetically, so now i just want to make it my dream vehicle. Admittedly, I'd be on a KTM ADV bike if I wasn't a small woman who would never be able to pick up 600 pounds of a 7 foot tall bike if it ever fell over, but I think I'll be able to do a lot with this platform in the long run without having to have a bike I can't comfortably manage.

It also didn't help that I became friends with these two psychos a couple years ago over 250 racing, and videos like this only put more ideas in my head :P

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/scramblers-rockies-ducati-vs-triumph-adventure-rally-adv-bikes-two-wheels?src=SOC&dom=fb
[video src=http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=FhNnBydjrKih7BHO-PY6qbs48qPoB5Eu&pbid=4d6d92c8b601442887877f6d674aa38c]

I have done a fair amount of fire roading on my bike. The tires would be the first thing I'd change if I was serious about the dirt.
How does the ground clearance work out on fire roads? Once my stock tires wear out, I'll probably pick up something slightly more dual sport leaning if I can find some that fit, but I only really need it to handle navigating campgrounds and the occasional dirt road. Fortunately, I also enjoy hiking so I'll handle the slightly more legit dirt stuff on foot, haha

Ground clearance hasn't been an issue. All the fire roads I have ridden have been tame. Most could be negotiated in a standard auto with care. But the FZ can handle or be negotiated through ruts and obstacles that would stop a low slung car.

But going downhill on gravelly hardpack, even on a mild grade, on street tires is a slippery affair.

That's pretty rad, I dig the concept. I would one day like to build a mad max esque b.o.b. (bug out bike)

I really like that concept, but I have to laugh when I see people put knobbies on a cafe racer and call it that.

I think a supermoto, dual sport, or adv would be a much better place to start...though there are worse bikes to use than our FZs.

I really like that concept, but I have to laugh when I see people put knobbies on a cafe racer and call it that.

I think a supermoto, dual sport, or adv would be a much better place to start...though there are worse bikes to use than our FZs.
This bike's life will realistically probably be 5% dirt and 95% asphalt. Not worth it to get a bike I don't like as much, because it's technically more practical. I wanted an ADV bike, but they're just physically too large for me to work with, especially as a solo rider 99% of the time. You gotta go with what moves you. 
But this comes from someone who has modded nearly everything about her ninja 250 to turn it into a race bike instead of just buying a supersport bike that's made to be raced.

Making something out of nothing is all part of the fun :)

Definitely, I hope it didn't come across as being critical of you.

It was more of a smack against the hipster crowd who overdid the cafe racer thing and now has moved on to the scrambler as the next cool thing, only they don't want a bike with any useable amount of suspension travel.

Awesome!

I will watch this thread with much interest. I did this very thing to a Ninja 650R that I had. Basically took off the lower cowl, threw on some dirt bike handlebars and some Shinko 705's and went and rode all the dirt roads I could find. Lots of fun but too heavy (460lbs) and not enough torque (harder to wheelie).

So.. I am buying an FZ07 to do the project again. 

There is something perversely enjoyable about taking a bike somewhere it is not meant to go.. ie., a street bike on single track. The ninja got many a stare from Mtn Bikers. "WTF is a crotch rocket doing up here in the trees?!?"  :D

The key is to find the smooth stuff. The problem comes when there are big rocks trying to take off your oil filter and puncture holes in the bottom, but the trails with big rocks aren't fun to me anyway, so when it gets too hairy i just turn around. On the smooth single track and graded gravel the ground clearance was no issue, and it is much more fun getting there and back on the paved sections then on my WR.

I am going to pick up a lightly used FZ this weekend, and put on some 705's again. The only issue is 705 only comes in a 170/60r17 instead of the stock 180/55/17 for the rear. Its close enough, so I think I am going to try it anyway.

Awesome. I hope this gets to the point where I barely recognize it as an FZ07 anymore. If you take the side covers off and ground down the mounting tabs behind them, it adds aa little more nakedness to it. It's more skeletal when you see more of the frame and internals.

Definitely, I hope it didn't come across as being critical of you.  
It was more of a smack against the hipster crowd who overdid the cafe racer thing and now has moved on to the scrambler as the next cool thing, only they don't want a bike with any useable amount of suspension travel.
Oh no- not at all! I just know this project is also not particularly logical in nature, haha.  

But unlike the hipster crowd, everything I do, I do for love! ... Misguided and eccentric love, but love none the less. Probably.

Awesome! 
I will watch this thread with much interest. I did this very thing to a Ninja 650R that I had. Basically took off the lower cowl, threw on some dirt bike handlebars and some Shinko 705's and went and rode all the dirt roads I could find. Lots of fun but too heavy (460lbs) and not enough torque (harder to wheelie).

There is something perversely enjoyable about taking a bike somewhere it is not meant to go.. ie., a street bike on single track. The ninja got many a stare from Mtn Bikers. "WTF is a crotch rocket doing up here in the trees?!?"  :D

The key is to find the smooth stuff. The problem comes when there are big rocks trying to take off your oil filter and puncture holes in the bottom, but the trails with big rocks aren't fun to me anyway, so when it gets too hairy i just turn around. On the smooth single track and graded gravel the ground clearance was no issue, and it is much more fun getting there and back on the paved sections then on my WR.

I am going to pick up a lightly used FZ this weekend, and put on some 705's again. The only issue is 705 only comes in a 170/60r17 instead of the stock 180/55/17 for the rear. Its close enough, so I think I am going to try it anyway.
Oh man, I can't even imagine offroading a ninja 6fiddy. Do you have any pics of that bike? That sounds hilarious! 
If you end up doing the same, I'd love to see how you go about yours too! I would think there wouldn't be much trouble mounting 170s on a rim that is meant for 180s, since I've mounted 95front/110rear slicks on my ninja 250 that is intended to take 110/130 with no issues. I haven't looked into tires too much yet, but I was afraid there might be an issue with the rear tire size. Let me know how it goes

It also didn't help that I became friends with these two psychos a couple years ago over 250 racing, and videos like this only put more ideas in my head :P

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/scramblers-rockies-ducati-vs-triumph-adventure-rally-adv-bikes-two-wheels?src=SOC&dom=fb
[video src=http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=FhNnBydjrKih7BHO-PY6qbs48qPoB5Eu&pbid=4d6d92c8b601442887877f6d674aa38c]

Where do i sign up!!! that looks like something right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!!

Hahahaha, right?! I envy their job every time I sit down at a desk and realize I'm not doing that.

.... Road trip to colorado anyone?

I watched that entire video ... give them an "A" for effort.  Those are not lightweight bikes to be riding through the muddy woods.

Very cool. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2016 BMW R1200RS
2014 Honda CTX700
2014 Honda Grom Black
2014 Honda Grom Red
2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
2011 Husaberg FE390

• Premium Member

It was entertaining, and a tad inspirational.

My only qualm is nobody with sense would do that not from a capability standpoint, but because those
~$10k bikes were taking a thrashing, even before the trail got hairy. I would still feel an irrational impulse to do the same if I had a scrambler though.

I watched that entire video ... give them an "A" for effort.  Those are not lightweight bikes to be riding through the muddy woods.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Anza Borrego? Are you in Socal? That's on my list of places to check out in the near future :D  
I love the look and handling as is too, but I also know how good I'm not at dirt biking, haha. I figured I'll wish I had these if I ever take it down a fire road and it doesn't go as smooth as it should, which is probably inevitable for camping. A bike intended for it would definitely be better, but I'm not tall enough for a real adv bike, and I don't want a 250 single for long distances so I'm gonna take the inappropriate equipment in out of the way places approach :P

Awesome though! If you end up going a similar route, I'd love to see pictures. I totally forgot axle sliders were a thing, but I'm putting that on the short list, too

Yea, I'm in San Diego. A thought about the cages, one thing I like about yours is that it is high up and still offers a really good solution, you mentioned some skid plates and lower stuff, just keep in mind that stuff can CAUSE an accident if it is too low and you are leaning over too far and start scraping and loose traction, or even bottom out against a cage in a pot hole. 
Think less is more, and make sure that clearance and lean angle aren't affected too much. Looks like you're on the right track, and I am a novice, just thinking out loud here.

p.s. I watched that vid with the scramblers just now. I like how their skid plates were up outta the way, and they had no big tubed cages to hang up on stuff down low.

Cheers.

Databyter

Awesome! 

Oh man, I can't even imagine offroading a ninja 6fiddy. Do you have any pics of that bike? That sounds hilarious! 
If you end up doing the same, I'd love to see how you go about yours too! I would think there wouldn't be much trouble mounting 170s on a rim that is meant for 180s, since I've mounted 95front/110rear slicks on my ninja 250 that is intended to take 110/130 with no issues. I haven't looked into tires too much yet, but I was afraid there might be an issue with the rear tire size. Let me know how it goes
Here is a link to some pics on Advrider of my Ninja with 705's. Can't wait to do this with the lighter and more powerful FZ07. The sale fell through unfortunately. It turns out that the kid I was buying it from owed more than the asking price and couldn't come up with the difference. So its back to shopping. 
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/your-best-used-beast-purchase-bang-for-the-buck.1015671/

Archived