The MT-07 Forum

Releasing Cam chain tensioner

The good show

7 minutes ago, cptsolo said:

Hi Roscoe, 

I followed the steps in the service manual before removing the tensioner.  From memory it went something like:

1) Remove spark plugs

2) Turn the crank to the top dead centre position marker.  This will ensure the chain will not jump a position once the tensioner is out.

3) Remove the tensioner and check that it is serviceable by following the process in the manual.  Tensioner was good, so I reinstalled it after resetting the tension.  Problem solved.

Be aware of the clear advice above that the tensioner should be replaced.  Looking back I probably should have done this also, but nearly 20,000km since I did this, it is still going fine (touch wood).  I should do this now though, since you have reminded me.

Good luck and it's not a major job.  The biggest hassle is getting everything off to get to the plugs of course.

Cheers

Cheers for your response

Please excuse my ignorance but I was just wondering why removing the spark plugs was necessary?

21 minutes ago, RoscoeF said:

Cheers for your response

Please excuse my ignorance but I was just wondering why removing the spark plugs was necessary?

This allows you to turn the crank over easily and align it to top dead centre (TDC).  With the plugs in the compression stops the crank from spinning freely to find the TDC marker.

9 minutes ago, cptsolo said:

This allows you to turn the crank over easily and align it to top dead centre (TDC).  With the plugs in the compression stops the crank from spinning freely to find the TDC marker.

Cheers mate!

Appreciate you helping me out 

Kind regards, 

Roscoe

ElGonzales

Are failing CCTs still an actual thing to worry about at the CP2?  I know  people with 40k or even 80k and more kilometres, but never (?) heard of somebody who replaced the CCT precautionary or had a problem with it. 
Of course thats only my subjective impression, I am always open for opinions of people who get in touch with more bikes than me.

55 minutes ago, ElGonzales said:

Are failing CCTs still an actual thing to worry about at the CP2? 

No.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

From this site, how to make the tool Here

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

I had to reset the timing on my cams as a so called mechanic did a valve adjustment on my bike and messed it up. After getting everything lined up I cannot get the CCT to retract. It seems to be fully extended and the motor wont turn with it in. Bollox.

Anyone got any ideas?

M. Hausknecht

I used an allen wrench, a 3mm I believe. Stuck it in the hole and turned it counterclockwise to retract. I then removed the tensioner from the engine and left the wrench in, so the tensioner wouldn't extend while sitting on my work bench. On install, bolted the tensioner back on and then screwed the allen wrench clockwise until it contacted the timing chain guide and then in a bit more. Then removed the allen wrench.

By the way, seems odd to me that the motor won't turn over because of the cam chain tensioner having too much tension. Makes we wonder if there is another problem?

Edited by M. Hausknecht

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I used an allen wrench, a 3mm I believe. Stuck it in the hole and turned it counterclockwise to retract. I then removed the tensioner from the engine and left the wrench in, so the tensioner wouldn't extend while sitting on my work bench. On install, bolted the tensioner back on and then screwed the allen wrench clockwise until it contacted the timing chain guide and then in a bit more. Then removed the allen wrench.

By the way, seems odd to me that the motor won't turn over because of the cam chain tensioner having too much tension. Makes we wonder if there is another problem?

Something happened the last time the guy was in there, it started up fine then when I cracked the throttle a few times it would bog, like it was flooded. He was gone at this point. I had it retracting, put it down and it popped, so now it seems to be locked in the fully extended position. I cannot pick up the retractor piece with the 3mm hex no matter how much pressure I put on it. My only thought now is to bolt it back on and try to use the force against it to pick up the retraction thread. Or buy a new one 44K miles.