The MT-07 Forum

Has anyone gotten the dreaded "death wobble" at higher speeds?

Vex

The Pioneer
26 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Is it a left-right shake or more of an up-down shake? You shouldn't be getting a "wobble" at any speed.

It's a left-right shake. I posted a small clip of it, but forgot to quote you. Gregjet made a good comment about causes and he mentioned one being rear shock preload is too high. I believe this is the case for me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Pioneer said:

This is the bump wobble I was previously talking about.

ezgif.com-optimize (1).gif

You went over a pretty rough patch of road with one hand on the bars. Not that you need both hands on the bars to keep the bike from wobbling. Your upper body most likely bucked forward from the bump/jolt and you accidentally put pressure on the bars with your hand. Now your hand jumps forward (countersteer input to turn right) and the bike dips that way. I'm not sure anything is wrong with your bike, mechanically. It's like just one of those "whoops, better hold on the bike a little better when I see spots up ahead like that..." type of moments. 

Does the bike ever wobble under any other conditions? What tire do you have on the front?

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shinyribs said:

You went over a pretty rough patch of road with one hand on the bars. Not that you need both hands on the bars to keep the bike from wobbling. Your upper body most likely bucked forward from the bump/jolt and you accidentally put pressure on the bars with your hand. Not your hand jumps forward (countersteer input to turn right) and the bike dis that way. I'mnot sure anything is wrong with your bike, mechanically. It's like just one of those "whoops, better hold on the bike a little better when I see spots up ahead like that..." type of moments. 

Does the bike ever wobble under any other conditions? What tire do you have on the front?

I agree - one hand over bumps, torso moves, arm moves, hand exacerbates bar movement. There’s only one outcome (wobble).

I do like that you never backed off the throttle though.

• Like 1

The Pioneer
19 hours ago, shinyribs said:

You went over a pretty rough patch of road with one hand on the bars. Not that you need both hands on the bars to keep the bike from wobbling. Your upper body most likely bucked forward from the bump/jolt and you accidentally put pressure on the bars with your hand. Now your hand jumps forward (countersteer input to turn right) and the bike dips that way. I'm not sure anything is wrong with your bike, mechanically. It's like just one of those "whoops, better hold on the bike a little better when I see spots up ahead like that..." type of moments. 

I think I have stock tires on for 2017 fz07.  I definitely make sure both hands are on prior to hitting bumps now which mostly eliminates the issue.  I used to think a contributing factor was the loose handlebars from the flexible mounts, but recently I think it's cause I have my rear preload way to high from the previous owner.

• Premium Member

You can gain more stability in general if you somewhat point your toes inward a tad to lock your knees into the gas tank... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW