The MT-07 Forum

Seriously considering buying an fz07 but....

Giovanni

I love the FZ/MT-07 I bought my first one in 2014 and put about 10,600 miles on it from the summer (I think June) 2014 until I had to sell it after I moved to Delaware in September 2015. Got into a bad motorcycle wreck on 19 March 2016, when a texting driver rear ended me at ~50 mph while I was either slowing down or stopped for a red light on a Honda Grom I picked up 9 days prior. After recovering from that (6+ months later) I continued living down there but then decided to move back home to New Jersey. On 2 November 2017 I went into the same dealer I got my 2015 FZ-07 from in 2014 and bought my current 2017 FZ-07. I've only been able to ride it for 8 months due to a stupid mistake I made and will be able to ride it again in about two weeks. I've currently got about 10,550 miles on my current FZ-07 and plan to put 22,000 miles on it by 31 December. This bike gives me no issues daily riding to work or on nice country roads, the highway/interstate, or even on the track (did a track day at NJMP on my 2015 FZ-07 in 2015). I get good life out of the tires, even though I don't like the Bridgestone tires and will be putting Michelin Road 5 tires on when these are done in about 5,000 miles. The added bonus is the mileage I get from the bike. Here's my report on the max I've gotten from the bike back in July 2018 with my current overall average being about 57 MPG. The only thing I changed on the bike was buying and installing the Yamaha comfort seat about a year ago. It was the same as the stock seat just a little thicker until it got broken in and now its a bit more comfortable. I plan on later in this year doing a 1 day trip down to Florida and one day back which will be about 1,400 miles in about 18-19 hours. I did a similar trip in 2012 on my Buell 1125CR and want to do it again. Overall in my opinion the FZ/MT-07 is the best bike for me and I have no plans on getting rid of it.

On 7/7/2018 at 8:13 AM, njdevils1990 said:

Well two interesting events happened yesterday. 1st was I decided to experiment and find out a) how far I can go on a tank that I "hypermiled" b) how far I can go on trip F c) how big the fuel tank actually is and d) try to get my best mpg

I got answers to all and achieved my best mpg average between this FZ and my previous best set on my '15 FZ-07 of around 70-71 mpg. Also planned it out pretty well as I ran out of fuel only 6/10 mile from the fuel station. +1 for 5 minutes of exercise!

A) How far can I go on a hypermiled fuel tank (averaged 40 mph ranging from 0-55 mph through moderately hilly terrain) 252.6 miles once the motor completely gave up due to lack of fuel, began stuttering at around 248 tank miles.

20180706_192808_zpsk1j4cwrz.jpg

B) Once trip F came on I continued to ride but kept it close to three fuel stations so my push wouldn't be horrible. Made it 51.2 miles on trip F.

20180706_192819_zpshd5nsoxk.jpg

C) A completely dry (usable fuel) tank took 3.490 gallons to fill up.

D) I got my best fuel efficiency average between this and my previous '15 FZ-07. The bike indicated 66.9 mpg average but the actual average was 72.5 mpg. I always liked how this bike always under estimates your actual mpg average.

20180706_192853_zpshm4h2m6n.jpg

702149.png

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

Thanks everyone for the input. Truth is I didn't think this thread posted. I couldn't find it for two weeks and then all of a sudden I have 30 answers lol. So I'll try and answer everyone. The kind of riding I do is very safe, slow riding. I'm relatively new to the road but I've ridden off road for all my life. I have a drz 400s for that. And I never pop wheelies. I just don't see the fun in it. I will be splitting lanes because we all know what LA is like. I'm 5'5 165 pounds. The wind never bothered me and I have a pretty aerodynamic helmet. Shoei rf Sr. the bike I'm buying is coming with a windsheild. Just need to install it. I don't mind filling up every trip. A full tank in Cali is what? 12-15 dollars. Way better than my Toyota corolla any day. And corollas are Hella economical on gas mileage. So that's not a problem. I guess my question was answered. I don't weigh (that much) compared to what most of you are saying. I'm riding light with a 5-12 pound camera bag on my back. And some clothes tied to the back seat in another bag. The bike I'm buying is 2016. full exhaust mod. Tuned for it as well (Thank god the dude selling it to me isn't dumb haha) gas mileage should be good and I think I'll be able to make the one way with fuel to spare. Again I ride like a wuss. Slow accel and always on 2 wheels. So who knows. Maybe I can go to LA and back on one tank haha. Thanks everyone again for the input. It means alot. And I might go up one tooth in the front if need be. But let's get the bike first and work from there no? 

P.s. If anyone wants to ride together in socal hit me up. 

Here's a pic of the one I'm getting. Feast your eyes on mediocrity hahahaha

Screenshot_20190124-092527_OfferUp.jpg

Archived