The MT-07 Forum

2018 shock IS an upgrade for 2015-2017 bikes

Bigturbomax

What makes the 17 and older ones so bad? I mainly ride back roads and in town.  I have an 18 and weight around 150# ready to ride. I have had 300# Me and passenger with out changing the settings.  Both ways the suspension seem to work well for me with the exception of rough roads. I wouldn't know a bad shock if I rode one. LOL. We have some roads around here that are very rough. They looks fairly smooth however that are not at all. Even in the Camry, they are noticeable. My bike does ride rough on these roads to the point I avoid them.  My glasses are bouncing around in my helmet. Makes it a bit blurry.

3 hours ago, Grant31781 said:

What makes the 17 and older ones so bad? I mainly ride back roads and in town.  I have an 18 and weight around 150# ready to ride. I have had 300# Me and passenger with out changing the settings.  Both ways the suspension seem to work well for me with the exception of rough roads. I wouldn't know a bad shock if I rode one. LOL. We have some roads around here that are very rough. They looks fairly smooth however that are not at all. Even in the Camry, they are noticeable. My bike does ride rough on these roads to the point I avoid them.  My glasses are bouncing around in my helmet. Makes it a bit blurry.

For me it is too soft and bouncy. With passenger, feels dangerous to ride hard.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 12:49 PM, jeffster said:

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make my meaning clear enough in my post.  I meant I would like to use the 2018 Yamaha shock in my 2017 FZ 07, but a Yamaha corporate tech told me they weren't interchangeable.  So my question to bigturbomax is obviously it worked, but did it require modification or did it bolt right up?   And what part # did you use when purchasing it?   My 2nd choice would have been the Hagon shock, because it appears to be the least expensive aftermarket shock.  But I feel that for my fairly casual riding,, the 2018 shock will be enough improvement to satisfy me.  If you look at eBay, it is full of 2015-2017 Yamaha OEM shocks, but very few 2018-2019 shocks, meaning that the improvement must be substantial enough that most riders of 2018-2019 bikes are not considering upgrading them.

I used stock shock from 2018 mt07 and installed on my 2017 fz07. 100% bolt up. Used the same harware and everthing fit exactly the same. 

On 9/23/2019 at 9:59 PM, jeffster said:

thanks for that helpful  info, bigturbomax

No problem! This forum has helped me a ton in the past. I try to pay it forward when i can

You have encouraged me and so I just bought a used 2018 shock, looks like brand new: 55€ with shipping. I will swap it on one of the coming rainy weekends. 

6 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

You have encouraged me and so I just bought a used 2018 shock, looks like brand new: 55€ with shipping. I will swap it on one of the coming rainy weekends. 

Was it hard to find? I'm looking for one as well.

I've checked Ebay nearly every day since late july. You find a lot of 2015-17 and have to look carefully at the pictures to see if it is really the new model of the shock. The different notches for the adjustment c-spanner are a good hint. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 2019 shock on my 2017 MT but I thought the spring was too hard and put the 2017 spring on, a straight swap.  

Edited by Martin UK

Just switched to a Wilbers Adjustline 640 (legality reasons here and they gave discount), now I can play swordfight with shocks  :D
Maybe search for the shock in general without a limitation of the year and then look at pictures?  Left side the newer one.

471355060_shocksnewold.thumb.jpg.11257e8a15bb3217690ef8c1ce53303e.jpg

For those still looking for a 2018+ shock, I will be swapping out the stock shock with the Ohlins STX46 shock by the end of next month. After that, the stock shock is up for grabs for a reasonable price and I'm willing to ship internationaly (am based in Europe). It will probably have less than 7.000 kilometers or 4.500 miles on it.

Edited by DeLyon

1 hour ago, DeLyon said:

For those still looking for a 2018+ shock, I will be swapping out the stock shock with the Ohlins STX46 shock by the end of next month.

Good move, big improvement!

9 minutes ago, stickshift said:

Good move, big improvement!

Thanks! Really looking forward to it. I will also be simultaneously changing the front forks with the Ohlins FS 108 kit, replacing the spacers and springs altogether. I'm around 95kg/210lbs with gear and the stock (2020) suspension is way too jumpy for me.

Hi all

I've a 2017 model and replaced the fork springs and rear shock with new 2018 model bits,price was way below the big name manufacturers.Bike is transformed.

• 4 months later...

Hi, i have found 2018 shock for my 2015 bike, but the question is will it fit or? It looks like it will but wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks

On 6/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, Major_Tom said:

Oh I thought the XSR also got the upgraded shock, didn't realize the new mt's got a rebound adjuster. Ah well, offer stands

It was an improvement according to reviews, but the MT has adjustable rebound damping, which the XSR does not.     So it might be an improvement over an FZ, but not as good as the MT shock

For all who ask about fit, consider looking at an aftermarket shock listing to see what that shock fits, if it lists for all the bikes then the OEM shocks have same mounting.