The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Premium Member

Removed my Yoshi exhaust and dropped it off to Yoshi to get repacked. Will be bikeless for a while.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Removed my Yoshi exhaust and dropped it off to Yoshi to get repacked. Will be bikeless for a while.  

I saw their video on how to do it, didn't seem that complicated. I'll probably try to do it myself when it's time.
  • Like 1

bmwpowere36m3

Up in Maine, Bar Harbor, for vacation… rode with my dad today up Cadillac Mtn. An awesome twisty/switchback climb, which would only be better with less traffic.

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

• Like 7

truthiness
Up in Maine, Bar Harbor, for vacation… rode with my dad today up Cadillac Mtn. An awesome twisty/switchback climb, which would only be better with less traffic. 
IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg
Nice view!

Beautiful pic with your dad and the scenery is breathtaking :) How is your bike looking soooo clean!?!

So excited man...the bike will be finished off this weekend. I got my Pazzo Shorty Levers and my Givi Windscreen coming...mods complete...man I love this little bike, it is a blast

• Premium Member
So I installed the GENSSI Super White, much brighter than the stock bulbs but I'm not 100% satisfied with them. I'm going to try out some LED Bulbs and see how they look, looking for a bulb that would give me a cool white light similar to the light that is coming out of the scoops in my picture below.
Here are some pictures of the GENSSI Bulbs:

That looks very white and bright in the pictures!
I had to take the bulb out it was running very HOT and not normal, went back to normal for now. 

bmwpowere36m3

Nice view!

Beautiful pic with your dad and the scenery is breathtaking :) How is your bike looking soooo clean!?!

Thanks guys!

Bike only has 600 miles and hasn't been washed. It hasn't seen rain either. Trust me, it's lightly covered with dust/road grime/dead bugs/brake dust/etc... In my experience cars/bikes usually look better in pics then in person or least when you look at them a foot or two away.

Well it happend 2 days ago....but saved it from going over a guardrail with my foot

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

truthiness

Let's see...today I installed the Ohlins shock on it, then promptly put it on the ground...tiny gravel on the asphalt where I was turning.

truthiness
Sucks you dropped you bike. What's the part number for the ohlins and how do you like it?
YA 419 is the part number.  I'll let you know how I like it once I get the bike looked at.  It's vibrating really bad and emitting white smoke on load.  Hopefully only the head gasket is bad...

suspiciouspackage

Filled up and still being impressed by the mpg. 63? Like damn, handlebars do make a big difference.

truthiness

@bruce - First impressions of the Ohlins shock are consistent with what others here have reported. Comfort while riding over rough areas is greatly increased, as is the stability while cornering over said rough areas. Confidence is greatly increased, which to me is the most important thing. However, the downside is that it has further exposed the inadequacy of the stock front setup.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I just got done giving him his very first bath. He was so brave! Didn't squirm or fuss or nothin'.

• Like 5

@bruce - First impressions of the Ohlins shock are consistent with what others here have reported. Comfort while riding over rough areas is greatly increased, as is the stability while cornering over said rough areas. Confidence is greatly increased, which to me is the most important thing. However, the downside is that it has further exposed the inadequacy of the stock front setup.

Thanks for the review. I'll be looking into this as the handling on rough pavement leaves a lot to be desired as of now.

bmwpowere36m3

Hit ~700 miles and did my third oil change… in a trailer no less (on vacation at the moment). Rode Cadillac Mtn some more ;)

I took a 100 mile ride today. Kept finding dirt roads-I didn't want to. I noticed too late a series of CRATERS across the road! They were hard to see because of all the sun and tree shadows. I hit them faster than I would have liked but the FZ just sailed right over them. THANK YOU BIKE!

• Like 1

fooschnickens

Finally got the confounded baffles out of the exhaust. Had to bodge together our own puller setup using a sturdy wire coat hanger, a tie strap and a loaner BMW 320i at my friend's house. Hooked the hanger through the vent holes on the inside of the baffle, tied the strap around the spokes of the wheel of the BMW, hooked the other end around the hanger and then played tug of war. Each one popped out with two SOLID tugs. I doubt they'll ever go back in, not that it really matters.

howlinhoss
Filled up and still being impressed by the mpg. 63? Like damn, handlebars do make a big difference.
Damn I have been averaging between 35-40mpg with a full exhaust/EJK. 

suspiciouspackage
Damn I have been averaging between 35-40mpg with a full exhaust/EJK. 
If I ever do an exhaust (which I should considering they're relatively cheap compared to car exhausts), I'm curious to see how my economy would go. Most likely down but I wonder if I'd fall out of the 60s.

• Premium Member

Today I dropped the Fizzle on a steep driveway. I was about to head out and the transition between the steep of the driveway and the steep of the road made kind of a long reach. Longer than I expected apparently when I put my foot down at a very low speed (I was stopping and slightly turning after coasting down the steep driveway, to check for traffic).

I basically put my foot down and nothing was there and I wasn't prepared for that.

The good news is I went down really slow, fighting it all the way, and my right leg and foot acted as frame sliders. The hardest part was getting my leg out from under the bike since I didn't have a heck of a lot of leverage to lift the bike off me.

Nevertheless I did it fairly quickly (look around, no, nobody saw me doing my falling act) and then immediately lifted the bike which had autostopped.

Damage? Very light.

Scratched outer bar end (looks like it might be an easily replaceable part?). I put some black sharpie on it and you can't see the scratch unless you are studiously looking for it.

Then my outer ball on the brake lever had a scraped edge, but I've already bought new aftermarket levers, just waiting for the brake to arrive, clutch already here.

Then I think one of my weebles wobble but they don't fall down lights had a very very light scratch which seemed to disappear when I rubbed it.

The engine cover was protected by my crushed leg :)

The muffler is the only thing that I really can't think of how to restore, it has some relatively light but noticable scratching at the rear, wider end. I can't paint it, and the end cap looks riveted so I doubt I can just replace that part. I can't polish it out because the anodizing would still contrast.. And I had no intention of going aftermarket in deference to my early morning commuting and my neighbors, not to mention I just have to be different and NOT be a fan of loud bikes, at least for me.

Can anybody think of a solution to cosmetically cover or repair that? I suppose I could buy another muffler from somebody that upgraded and has the stock laying around, but it isn't THAT big of a scratch that I am willing to pay for yet, besides, I might drop it again, I am learning what NOT to do the hard way.

I was paying more attention to other things than I was to going down that driveway. It never occurred to me I was at the slightest risk. I've been taking great pride on the fact that I haven't dropped it, although everybody has said I will eventually lol.

Guess I got cocky, and fate offered me a quick fix for my arrogance.

Now it's broken in tho, it's mine :)

I celebrated by adjusting the free play on my rear brake which was really low for me and kinda squishy, and also made my clutch a bit closer to the grip even though I'm gonna replace it in the next few days with another lever. I like the way it rides now.

I might repost this in general as well as a thread, hope that doesn't break site rules.

But this IS what I did to my FZ-07 today. I blooded the bitch. Now she's mine!

Databyter

• Like 1

Databyter

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Well, my most anticipated mods are finally on. They're not great pictures but you'll get the idea: Driven rearsets & Woodcraft clip-ons (1.5 inch adapters, installed "down")

20150705_153928.jpg
20150705_140602.jpg
20150705_153938.jpg

This is my first bike so I had no clue how install was going to go, just started taking things apart. As expected nothing out of the ordinary but I did manage to make some rookie mistakes. On the clipons:
1. Didn't realize there were 3 anti-rotation nubs, only drilled 2 discovered the third (throttle cable casing) after everything was re-installed on.
2. Drilled the 3rd hole in the wrong location, I had put everything back together and in testing the throttle realized it wouldn't return to position after twist. My lack of knowledge made this troubleshooting last a lot longer than needed. But it wasn't clear to me why this was occurring, I was under the initial impression that I had botched the reassembly and there's probably some truth to that though I come to find out it was the angle at which the drilled hole was forcing the throttle cable to not provide the proper slack/tension to create the "close" movement. So I positioned the cable casing naturally, and re-drilled another hole. BAM. Problem gone. 

Rearsets:
Nothing really to say here, it's a very simple process. Rear brake side had more components because of the master cylinder and with the Driven rearsets, I had to remove the rear brake light switch. Shifter side was easier, it only took a moment of adjustment to fine tune the shifting travel, fiddling with the angle of the top connector. For the record, I'm around 5' 8.5" and I have the pegs set furthest up and back. There's a chance that I may adjust the shifter/rear brake peg back one slot, I have smaller feet and on a couple occasions have missed the shifter/rear brake. I'll give it a few more rides to see if it's just a matter of adjusting to the new position. 

Post install:
I've ridden it twice (once to test-ride second being my commute) and holy cow, what a difference. It's everything I expected and yeah, it feels great despite being more back intensive. I'm heading up to Orange County (a little over an hour ride) this coming weekend so it'll be interesting to see how I feel and how many breaks I'll need through the journey. Haven't had the opportunity to take it through many curves but the few that I ran, it's hard to put into words how it felt besides you feel more confident and more engaged. 

• Like 2

Very nice! The clip-ons don't look as low as I was expecting. Any chance you could get a squared-up shot of the side profile of the bike? Quality is unimportant, I would just like to get a better feel of the grip position.

Also... In regards to the throttle "sticking" it's not uncommon to have that happen when you put new bars/clip-ons on. You can often fix it by re-adjusting the throttle cable tension at the motor (macro adjustment) then fine tune via the in-line adjuster near the grip. Seems like you got it all sorted out though. Again, looks nice!

Life is good on 2 wheels!