The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

It's my DD. I've had good luck with Honda and Ford.
It's an 01 ex that I picked up with 72,000 miles on it, put 18,000 in about 13 months.
Had an 05 Accord EX that I sold to move back to Thailand, along with an 02 Mustang GT
Briefly owned an 87 CRX which I sold to travel rather than fix up as a DD
and a 2000 civic EX in Thailand, JDM yo, right hand drive!
This is the first to give me a headache. I will test the new barrier I made in the AM, if this doesn't work I will need to get a professional... More $$$ to add to the car, already have to replace the carpet... And carpet = saddlebags for the FZ :/

• Global Moderator

That sucks man, i kinda know the feeling... DD a 91 eclipse/talon for a year and a half. Kept putting off projects i wanted on my colt vr4 because of issues with the talon.

What would it be like to have a car that didnt need major attention every other month?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Hi everyone - here's one I wanted to do today. Looking to clean up the frame, i.e., remove the damn stickers (at least the ones on the sides). I couldn't seem to find this posted anywhere, really - even eLaws doesn't seem to make mention of it. Does anyone here know if I can take the stickers shown below off, or are they required (Ontario, Canada)

Can anyone advise? (they are French manuf. info tag (RHS), and Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (LHS)

59E7E3CC-0A07-441C-B097-96FADC4E0A87_zps0ob6t78z.jpg

D1533E57-0713-49F2-8C22-0B846734B5B3_zpsqdkc6adj.jpg

Once I get this car sorted, I will sort out the suspension on the FZ, switch the panels from grey to white and I can get a project bike to really learn how to build a bike. I wanna build a scrambler.

drpepperrider2

Hey guys , new to this forum , my bike currently has a barend mirror , new blinkers and plate holder , and the m4 slip on.

I want to order a k&n air filter , the dna airbox mod, and dynojet powercomander , is.this a good idea ? How do i set the powercomander when i recieve it so that o get rhe most power out of the bike ? If i dont have any maps for my exact aftermarket parts do i have to buy the auto tune ?

• Premium Member
Hi everyone - here's one I wanted to do today. Looking to clean up the frame, i.e., remove the damn stickers (at least the ones on the sides). I couldn't seem to find this posted anywhere, really - even eLaws doesn't seem to make mention of it. Does anyone here know if I can take the stickers shown below off, or are they required (Ontario, Canada)  
Can anyone advise? (they are French manuf. info tag (RHS), and Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (LHS)

Wow... Looks like Canada goes nuts with those stickers!  U.S. (or at least mine) only has the white one with VIN, manufacture date etc.  That sucks that they can just trash the look of your bike with stickers.   I don't know about the legal ramifications, but even if it's not "legal" to remove them, are they actually going to cite you?  If not then I'd be grabbing the Goo-Gone! 
  • Like 2

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

A while ago one of our members said that the mattress tag police are the same ones enforcing the motorcycle sticker rule - proceed with caution!

• Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I dunno, maybe I will ask if I get pulled over in the next few weeks. Planning a ride up to Waterloo Uni to see my GF. First long trip on this bike, hope my bushings don't get destroyed :/

bmwpowere36m3

I wouldn't go removing VIN stickers off a bike… it's a recipe for a problem down the road when either: you need to sell the bike, get it inspected, pulled over, etc. Definitely don't remove the white sticker on the right-hand side, which has the bike's VIN. The other black ones I can't tell and don't know what they are.

I wouldn't go removing VIN stickers off a bike… it's a recipe for a problem down the road when either: you need to sell the bike, get it inspected, pulled over, etc. Definitely don't remove the white sticker on the right-hand side, which has the bike's VIN. The other black ones I can't tell and don't know what they are.
Good points made, not the two on the "shoulders" of the frame makes sense. The other two are still questionable. 
Thx

• Like 1

Im pissed that the new year has the colored frame! Only the 09 last year had the seperate color
Do what? The blurple frame/wheels were always with the liquid graphite body color. 
Actually, all three body colors have different colored frames. Rapid red has a black frame and pearl white has a silver frame.

Those asshats lied to me then, said only the 09 had a colored frame everything else was silver

• Premium Member

I had to put a chunk of carbon fiber like vinyl to cover up the dealer logo on the frame cuz the dealer logo pulled the paint...the vinyl will come off when I want it too and still keep the stock vin sticker and dealer logo when it time to resell

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
Hey guys , new to this forum , my bike currently has a barend mirror , new blinkers and plate holder , and the m4 slip on. 
I want to order a k&n air filter , the dna airbox mod, and dynojet powercomander , is.this a good idea ? How do i set the powercomander when i recieve it so that o get rhe most power out of the bike ? If i dont have any maps for my exact aftermarket parts do i have to buy the auto tune ?
Hey and welcome the for forum.  I tried the Power commander route and while i had great results with it.  Other members have had PCV unit failures.  This prompted me to remove my power commander and autotune and go for the 2WheelDynoWorks flash ($319).  I am just as happy with the 2WDW flash as i was my power commander tune.  Now a word of caution the PCV isn't really for beginners.  They do have base tunes online these are simplified versions of tunes they competed for customers.  If you do not have any tuning experience i would recommend not using PCV.  Or at least take it to a certified PCV tuner and paying for a tune.  which will cost you almost double what 2WDW will charge you for the flash.   

drpepperrider2
Hey and welcome the for forum.  I tried the Power commander route and while i had great results with it.  Other members have had PCV unit failures.  This prompted me to remove my power commander and autotune and go for the 2WheelDynoWorks flash ($319).  I am just as happy with the 2WDW flash as i was my power commander tune.  Now a word of caution the PCV isn't really for beginners.  They do have base tunes online these are simplified versions of tunes they competed for customers.  If you do not have any tuning experience i would recommend not using PCV.  Or at least take it to a certified PCV tuner and paying for a tune.  which will cost you almost double what 2WDW will charge you for the flash. 
Ok yeah , I had a look on their wedsite , this seems pretty cool. Dyou think it would advantage me to get an air filter and a airbox mod aswell ? Or just the ECU reflash ?

largegiant04

Last week installed the Yoshimura fender eliminator and last night installed the Yoshimura exhaust!

What a difference!

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Ok yeah , I had a look on their wedsite , this seems pretty cool. Dyou think it would advantage me to get an air filter and a airbox mod aswell ? Or just the ECU reflash ?
I'd shoot Nels at 2wheels an email and/or a message on this board @ 2wheeldynoworks

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
I removed the snorkel and left the stock air filter. You can ask nels what is best with an aftermarket filter.

Well, since my ECU was off getting "re-flashed" I had a chance to install/do a few things............

Black adjustable clutch/brake levers.
Mirror extenders.
Oury grips.
Givi A2118 shield.
Preload adjustable fork caps.
Pulled the springs and cut 5 coils off to stiffen them up.
Rolled the bars forward a little bit for comfort.
Painted the exhaust "bladder" black.
Removed snorkel.
Put Fastpack tailbag on pass seat.
Re-located rear brake reservoir.
Removed pass pegs/brackets.
Shorten the plate hanger.

I'm sure I missed something.............

Removing 5 coils from the fork springs will not make them stiffer. All you've done is shortened them and lost that much travel before reaching coil bind.

Removing 5 coils from the fork springs will not make them stiffer. All you've done is shortened them and lost that much travel before reaching coil bind.
It sure will.............done it many times on 1st Gen FZ1's. Coil bind is less likely on a stiffer spring. They are indeed stiffer. 

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/ravenriderssuspensionupgrade.shtml

Let's consider the science behind this. There are two main types of springs - progressive or linear. Linear springs are insensitive to length and will provide the same resistance no matter what. Progressive springs with their softer tightly wound end obviously get stiffer as the spring becomes further compressed. I think we're agreed up to this point.

When you cut the progressive spring on the soft end, it does NOT make either the soft end or the stiff and any stiffer or softer. All you're doing is altering the point at which the spring rate transitions from the soft to stiff setting - it will transition sooner in the fork's stroke. You absolutely will bottom out sooner, in an amount equal to the length of spring you removed. Assuming you've remade a new spacer that is equal in added length over stock, to the reduction in height of the newly cut spring, your sag should be pretty much the same. You installed adjustable preload caps which, when tightening, uses up more of the softer portion of the spring - again, causing the bike to use the stiffer end sooner.

Point is, the spring didn't become stiffer, just shorter and quicker to transition.