The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I passed my dmv motorcycle skills test finally. Apparently a fz07 is a lot easier to ride thru it than a ducati 749 haha.

• Like 4

Haha, nor surprised there. I love how easy this bike is to ride compared to my ZX6r. The only thing I like it better for is triple digits.

Today I gave the 7 its first oil change. The easiest job of it I have done on any bike yet (first naked bike) apart from setup. I don't have my swing arm lifts for my t Rex rear stand yet, so I put the bike up on the trailer and strapped it in to stand it upright.

Also, my factory oil filter didn't want to come off even with my three pronged ratchet driven oil filter grabber, so I took the C clamp I use for brake jobs and cranked it down on there until the stock filter deformed a bit and I twisted. Loosened right up.

• Premium Member
I just installed my fronts yesterday. Used adapter plates, looks classy as hell and the LEDs actually do a pretty good job being visible during the day. Couple quick notes for you: 
I didn't use the resistors they came with and the blink rate is faster, not hyper-blink but noticeably faster. I'm ok with it, as to me its more annoying having a faster blink rate and annoying=visible/noticeable. Though I might put them on the rear because I'm thinking if both sets are running without the resistors it would be a hyper blink with the lower resistance across the whole circuit... Thoughts?

2nd. The BLUE wire is the constant on for the daytime running lights (not used for the LED's) and the BLACK is the ground. Whatever other color, I think its a green of some sort, is what you connect the red wire from the blinker to as its switched.

3rd. When installing make sure you have everything strung on the wires as needed to bolt them on BEFORE soldering the connector as the connector will not fit through the nut. You'll see if to you do a mock up what I'm talking about. I'd recommend (if your half confident in your soldering abilities) taking off the entire headlight assembly and get the indicators all screwed on tight on a work bench, then do the solder and wire work. There's plenty of space to put extra wiring in the nooks and crannys so you can leave some extra slack to work with.

Hope that helps!

PS: using these blinkers - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-eyeshot-led-turn-signal-indicators-columbia

Yessssss #3 Is very important. I was so pissed when i had to cut my soldered wires because i couldn't run them thru the back hole with the adapters attached. 
Maybe im missing something here but, when I did mine the connector  fit through the nut.  I used the existing connector.  

• Global Moderator

@nohater, you must have bought a larger diameter turn signal than me. Mine definitely did not fit. I had to cut the wire to get the nut on then resolder it. On the bright side I got lots of practice soldering.

Huliogan, Can you tell us novices a little more about your DRLs?

modmaster

• Global Moderator
...But on the bright side, my sister gave birth this morning. That alone makes my day!
Congratulations uncle @papal !!  8-)  Boy or girl?

splytsecond

8eb9c15061d2260005091a3d84dd7acd.jpg

Installed the akrapovic exhaust last night and got the baffle out this morning. Sooo excited.
  • Like 2

Ordered the Cortech Super 2.0 saddlebags
 cortech_super20_saddlebags_black_detail.jpg
I also ordered a rain suit and a new visor for an old helmet so my GF can ride. We are thinking a ride from Toronto to Quebec.

• Like 1

Picked her up from the first and only service she will get from the dealer. Not because they are bad (actually very good) but because I am too cheap to pay from something I can do myself.

I have a flinch when trying to get her down to the left. Turning right I can scrape the pegs off of her, but turning left I still have a 1/4" chicken strip.

...But on the bright side, my sister gave birth this morning. That alone makes my day!
Congratulations uncle @papal !!  8-)  Boy or girl?

Thanks! Healthy baby boy. I now have....10 nieces and nephews plus my son. Nothing better than spoiling your siblings kids and walking away hahaha

This might seem like a silly question but I can never fill the tank all the way up. I always end up with a thin sliver before the F. When I fill up I let the gas get to the bottom of the bowl before stopping. Do you guys add more past that?

This might seem like a silly question but I can never fill the tank all the way up. I always end up with a thin sliver before the F. When I fill up I let the gas get to the bottom of the bowl before stopping. Do you guys add more past that?

I fill my tank right up to the filler hole. You have to hold the pumps rubber gasket up with your hand and fill it slowly.

Huliogan, Can you tell us novices a little more about your DRLs? 
modmaster

[span]    What would you like to know? I'll tell you what I did. But @Goose1072 is the one who gave me all the info I needed to get it done. He did it differently I believe but I basically Ordered the strip and wired that into the Front Headlight cables, the same place that I cut the OEM signals to install the Aftermarket ones. I just added the DRL cables to that splice and that's all I had to do to install them. Actually fitting them into the scoops was a little challenging because you don't have much room inside the scoops. But I completely took off the fairings and got into the scoop by removing the 3 allen bolts on the inside of the tank fairing. then I used some 3M double sided tape to help secure about 2/3 of the strip so it would stay in place. put everything back on and that's all. I tried to describe as much as I could. If you got any questions let me know! 

[/span] -Julio
  • Like 2

drpepperrider2

I have a few questions for you fz-07 owners ;)

First , how mamy kilometers can you do on a tank ? Ive done a little expirement trying to stay in eco mode as much as possible.and im at 245km and still one dot left. (Not blinking yet)

Also , anyone with a windscreen here ? The short ones ? Do they actually help with the winds on the highway ?

drpepperrider2

Oh and another one..

My friend has an m4 just like me , he removed the baffle an claims it gave him more power. Which doesnt make any sens to me...

Right ?

• Premium Member

Went on my first group ride. Ridingwithtom is in the states so there was a meetup with Jake TheGardenSnake here in DFW, Motonosity and Fry Riding came up from Austin. Good turn out. Got to chat with Ridingwithtom for a bit before he had to head out. Met another guy with a Graphite 07, forgot to get his info.

Oh and another one..  
My friend has an m4 just like me , he removed the baffle an claims it gave him more power. Which doesnt make any sens to me...

Right ?
If it gave him one more h.p. on the top end I doubt he could tell the difference and I doubt it gave him that much, if any.

Beemer

I forgot to mention, the other day I installed my MotorMachines windscreen and I like the satin blue color, it's different. First I've seen on a bike. It can be seen in the thread, "Riding Space".

Beemer

• Premium Member

I was trying out a new mic for my GoPro, and I got a reminder of why I wear a full face helmet.
This creature hit me hard enough that I felt the impact, and my GoPro lens was blurry for the rest of the ride.
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzxOXc_M3o]

• Like 3

Why can't left turners see us?

I have a few questions for you fz-07 owners ;) 
First , how mamy kilometers can you do on a tank ? Ive done a little expirement trying to stay in eco mode as much as possible.and im at 245km and still one dot left. (Not blinking yet)

Also , anyone with a windscreen here ? The short ones ? Do they actually help with the winds on the highway ?

I have a GIVI A2118 (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-a2118-windscreen-yamaha-fz-07-2014-2015) windscreen and it makes a difference in wind noise and a HUGE difference on how much wind hits your chest. Above 80mph the benefits aren't as noticeable unless you're in a tuck behind it, but below 65mph I noticed a big difference. Definitely a worthwhile investment. Makes riding the bike less of a battle and more enjoyable. Install is literally 20 minutes tops.  
Added bonus: it makes the front end look super slick. The windscreen is pretty minimalist so it doesn't give a sore thumb look, instead it just covers up the gauge cluster and really cleans up the lines.

Highly recommend it!

• Premium Member

Went on a nice 4 hour ride past Lake Las Vegas to Overton. Made it home just in time before severe weather hit!

Went over 4,000 miles too, so after 2 track days and 2 decent road trips that brought me over 4k, I'll be changing my oil and filter before its next outing...

:)

- Paulie

• Like 1

Oh and another one..  

Right ?
If it gave him one more h.p. on the top end I doubt he could tell the difference and I doubt it gave him that much, if any.
Removing the baffle allows more air flow.  More air out = more air in.  More air in + more fuel to keep the AFR ideal = more power.  Why do you think most race systems are straight through?   
So yes, in a nutshell removing the baffle will add power - but only if you adjust the fuel to keep the right mixture (or you were already running too rich).  Like Beemer said though, it's probably not much from just removing the baffle.  

These bikes are not about top end power, they are more about low end torque.  Odds are that by removing the baffle the torque was also lowered a little.  I have the M4 and my butt dyno can confirm that.  I run with no baffle though because I like the sound better, which is why I got the M4 to begin with.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!