The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

Crashed it.  Any San Diego peeps have a spare footpeg I can borrow??
Damn dude, what happened?  (I can see you posted a pic, but I can't see the pic at work).   
I'd have sent out my stock pegs, but I guess you already have some on order and i'm not local, so it probably wouldn't help.  
On the freeway, a big black SUV just stood on his brakes.  My fault, as I was at a distance completely unprepared to stop before him.  I managed to dodge, but my bar end caught the tip of his back end, and sent me flying at maybe 15 mph.  Damage is mostly superficial, aside from the footpeg tearing clean off.  Frame sliders mitigated damage.  Have woodcrafts on the way, and a new carbon endcap.  

In the meantime...sprocket.jpg
520 conversion, stock gearing.  Two piece aluminum/steel hybrid sprocket, lighter small sprocket, titanium sprocket nuts, RK GXW chain.

11889603_810437992407939_4407340268578976363_n.jpg?oh=01cbcca7c3295ce970376846ff2ea887&oe=5676E0A7

• Like 1

• Premium Member

@thomascrown Nice man cave! Looks like a great place to work on your bike! What are the advantages o the 520 conversion?

• Like 1

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator
Is that a wheel balancer on the left? (iPhone won't zoom in this webpage)
That is what it looks like to me.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I installed my Cyclopes LED headlight last night. Half way through it started to down pour so I didn't get a chance to test it out yet.

@thomascrown Nice man cave! Looks like a great place to work on your bike! What are the advantages o the 520 conversion?
Haha, that's not my man cave.  That's the shop I go to for stuff that I don't want to tackle myself.  :P

520 is cheaper, more plentiful(easier to find spares), lighter reciprocating parts = better performance.  

• Premium Member

About two years ago my ride was a Burgman 650 (thought I'd like it, but was sorely mistaken).
It sounded like the Jetson's flying car and had the usual OEM meep-meep sound of all bikes these days. Just to be noticed I bought a BadBoy Wolo air horn, but realized that installation would have been a nightmare (it meant basically removing half of the plastic bodywork...), so it languished in my garage for over two years.

This morning I finally installed it on my red beauty (2015 Rapid Red :) ).
Went in pretty easily, but it was so much bigger that the original horn that I had to be creative a bit in its positioning. I turned the air horn 90 degree and have the air intake and output facing backwards. It is not as suggested (must be kept vertical! :o ) but I am willing to risk it, as debris cannot enter it. We'll see if it last.
Now I can be heard! Cagers, stop texting and drive!

In order to be seen too, I am waiting for a Cyclops LED bulb (the no name LED bulb I purchased on e-bay really did not cut it, light-wise) and with that I will be completely done with mods.

For sure.

No more.

Absolutely done.

Has anyone the Yamaha Comfort seat? Worth the money?
:)
Marco

Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Like 1

Fork job. I didn't want to spend the money on a proper front suspension job, so I compromised with new Traxxion forks springs (.825) & spacers and making the modifications to the damper rod found in a front suspension thread.

p8133729.jpg?w=367&h=550
p8123728.jpg?w=367&h=550
Traxxion on the left, OEM on the right

p8133730.jpg
Drilled top two compression orifices to 3/8

p8143732.jpg?w=367&h=550
Welded the rebound orifice and re-drilled to 1/16 (the smallest drill bit I had, 1mm was recommended)

p8153733.jpg?w=367&h=550

Filled the forks to 120mm with Belray 7w. Hopefully this makes a difference  :)

• Like 3
2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

• Premium Member

See if this helps. I took it with my ipad.
This is the left side of the bike, where the horn is located. The air horn is 90 deg from vertical, with the air intake and output to the right.
Marco

• Like 1

See if this helps. I took it with my ipad. This is the left side of the bike, where the horn is located. The air horn is 90 deg from vertical, with the air intake and output to the right.
Marco

I would reroute the wiring from what I can see they are to close to the throttle cable.I went with a cheap Harbor Freight car horn myself but rarely use,I just use sign language most of the times people cut me off.

• Premium Member

Hello Stefano225:
thanks for pointing that out.
Indeed the wiring is close to the throttle cable, but there are two wire-zip ties keeping everything away from it. But I will probably reroute anyway, as I had not realized how exposed everything was (I was looking at it from above, the photo instead is from garage floor level).

I too rarely use the horn (never? I'd rather anticipate than react), but if I need to, at least I know now I'll be heard.
And "sign language" is more conducive to cagers seeking "revenge" (strange but true).
I think they consider it an affront to their manhood (and womanhood. I had one chase down my truck because I had the audacity of replying in tone to one perfectly manicured single finger salute. But that's another story...).

Marco

Hello Stefano225: thanks for pointing that out.
Indeed the wiring is close to the throttle cable, but there are two wire-zip ties keeping everything away from it. But I will probably reroute anyway, as I had not realized how exposed everything was (I was looking at it from above, the photo instead is from garage floor level).

I too rarely use the horn (never? I'd rather anticipate than react), but if I need to, at least I know now I'll be heard.
And "sign language" is more conducive to cagers seeking "revenge" (strange but true).
I think they consider it an affront to their manhood (and womanhood. I had one chase down my truck because I had the audacity of replying in tone to one perfectly manicured single finger salute. But that's another story...).

Marco

So far my sign language method worked in my favor :),I was riding my 150cc scooter with my little guy when this suv came out of a shopping center without even slowing down but I already spotted and give him the salute and this guy just took off  :D,I eventually caught up to him and again he took off when he realized I was behind him :).But I barely do it anymore,you never know what kind of people you come across,be safe out there.

• Premium Member

Replaced my tank side panels from white to red, and added a yamaha black decal!  ordered red vinyl to craft some designs for the front fender white plastics to pop out.

IH0VTAV.jpgCjKlv7Z.jpgNLJJvdQ.jpg

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Looks good, @noltz, and I bet it's faster now too. Did you change the side-stand? It looks different.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
Looks good, @noltz, and I bet it's faster now too. Did you change the side-stand? It looks different.
Thanks, im loving it, over 20 mods on it hahaha, still not done, kick stand is the same, just added the R&G expansion since i like a solid and safe rest for the bike, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-kickstand-foot-yamaha-fz-07-2015

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Was tempted to fill the tank with this:

I wonder what would happen?

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

You may foul out the plugs since the compression isn't high enough. Could possibly flood the motor because of unburnt fuel. Higher octane is just an additive to prevent pre combustion before the spark plug ignites it. This is otherwise know as engine or spark knock.

• Premium Member

I could go on my professorial box and launch a lengthy lecture about detonation and compression ratio, but suffice to say that it would mostly relieve you of extra $ :)

Marco

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

You may foul out the plugs since the compression isn't high enough. Could possibly flood the motor because of unburnt fuel. Higher octane is just an additive to prevent pre combustion before the spark plug ignites it. This is otherwise know as engine or spark knock.

Not necessarily an additive, could also be better refined, depends how high the ethanol and other additive ratios are

I could go on my professorial box and launch a lengthy lecture about detonation and compression ratio, but suffice to say that it would mostly relieve you of extra $ :) 
Marco

Please do, im always motivated to find new information about internal combustion

• Premium Member
Hello Stefano225: thanks for pointing that out.

Marco

So far my sign language method worked in my favor :),I was riding my 150cc scooter with my little guy when this suv came out of a shopping center without even slowing down but I already spotted and give him the salute and this guy just took off  :D,I eventually caught up to him and again he took off when he realized I was behind him :).But I barely do it anymore,you never know what kind of people you come across,be safe out there.
So how exactly did the sign language help you?  After many miles/hours on the road with every kind of disrespect and danger that you could imagine (I ride a bicycle too, 8 to 10K miles a year, and as much on my motorcycle), I've found that "let it go" is the best revenge.  You just ruined someones day, and by forgetting about it, and not reacting (and not giving them the finger),  you can continue on your ride with peace of mind.  When you wrestle with pigs, you both get dirty, and the pig enjoys it!  
  • Like 1

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
Please do, im always motivated to find new information about internal combustion
Boy, that phrase is catnip for pedantic professors :)

Theory of the internal combustion engine (aka the Otto cycle)

In an internal combustion engine, the mixture of fuel and air is atomized ( smallest droplet possible) by the fuel injector ( or carburetors, if you ride a Harley ;) ) and sprayed in the combustion chamber. This mixture of air and fuel is then compressed by the piston ( and therefore gets very hot) and ignited by the spark plug. The ensuing explosion pushes the piston down and that, in a nutshell, gives you power.
If the compression is very high ( that is the volume of the compressed gas-air mixture is small), the temperature becomes so high that the mixtures burns ( detonates) before the spark plug fires. That is BAD. In the old days, this would damage the pistons. This is what used to be called pinging or knocking in the engine (especially when lugging it with a high gear and not enough speed). On the other hand, if the spark plug fires too late, power is lost and fuel is wasted.
That is what the timing of an engine is designed to optimize: spark at the best time.

The octane number of gasoline indicates the resistance of the fuel to detonation. Low octane number means detonation can occur sooner.
High performance engines ( high compression) require high octane fuel to prevent detonation. Old airplane engines required AVIO fuel ( high octane).

Nowadays with electronics, the spark timing is automatically adjusted, so if a high compression engine is fed low octane fuel, the spark timing is automatically retarded preventing detonation, at the expense of performance.

If an engine is designed to function properly with regular gasoline ( low octane), adding High Test (as it used to be called), will lighten your wallet more readily with not much to gain. In an 50 year old engine with carbon deposit and no electronics ( say a semi recent Harley . Just kidding...) pinging could be reduced by going to a higher octane number, but on a 2015 fuel injected state-of-the-art engine?Nope.
All the necessary parameters are continually monitored by the ECU and spark timing is adjusted on the fly for environmental and load conditions.
Bottom line, don't buy high octane fuel if it is not expressly required by the manufacturer.
My two cents, worth every penny.

Marco

• Global Moderator
Boy, that phrase is catnip for pedantic professors :) 
Theory of the internal combustion engine (aka the Otto cycle)

In an internal combustion engine, the mixture of fuel and air is atomized ( smallest droplet possible) by the fuel injector ( or carburetors, if you ride a Harley ;) ) and sprayed in the combustion chamber. This mixture of air and fuel is then compressed by the piston ( and therefore gets very hot) and ignited by the spark plug. The ensuing explosion pushes the piston down and that, in a nutshell, gives you power.
If the compression is very high ( that is the volume of the compressed gas-air mixture is small), the temperature becomes so high that the mixtures burns ( detonates) before the spark plug fires. That is BAD. In the old days, this would damage the pistons. This is what used to be called pinging or knocking in the engine (especially when lugging it with a high gear and not enough speed). On the other hand, if the spark plug fires too late, power is lost and fuel is wasted.
That is what the timing of an engine is designed to optimize: spark at the best time.

The octane number of gasoline indicates the resistance of the fuel to detonation. Low octane number means detonation can occur sooner.
High performance engines ( high compression) require high octane fuel to prevent detonation. Old airplane engines required AVIO fuel ( high octane).

Nowadays with electronics, the spark timing is automatically adjusted, so if a high compression engine is fed low octane fuel, the spark timing is automatically retarded preventing detonation, at the expense of performance.

If an engine is designed to function properly with regular gasoline ( low octane), adding High Test (as it used to be called), will lighten your wallet more readily with not much to gain. In an 50 year old engine with carbon deposit and no electronics ( say a semi recent Harley . Just kidding...) pinging could be reduced by going to a higher octane number, but on a 2015 fuel injected state-of-the-art engine?Nope.
All the necessary parameters are continually monitored by the ECU and spark timing is adjusted on the fly for environmental and load conditions.
Bottom line, don't buy high octane fuel if it is not expressly required by the manufacturer.
My two cents, worth every penny.

Marco

Damnit phyciocc
Now im back in freshman year of college
wheres my surge and gummies

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Got ermax radiator scoops today. All white, put them on and went for a ride. Gonna paint a few parts later this week them try and find a good spot in Deep Ellum for some pictures.

• Premium Member

Haha... Surge almost killed me back in the day. Drank two Route 44 slushes and blacked out at a skating ring party.