The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Global Moderator
Haha... Surge almost killed me back in the day. Drank two Route 44 slushes and blacked out at a skating ring party.

Its back you know...only available on amazon and expensive as all hell

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

So far my sign language method worked in my favor :),I was riding my 150cc scooter with my little guy when this suv came out of a shopping center without even slowing down but I already spotted and give him the salute and this guy just took off  :D,I eventually caught up to him and again he took off when he realized I was behind him :).But I barely do it anymore,you never know what kind of people you come across,be safe out there.
So how exactly did the sign language help you?  After many miles/hours on the road with every kind of disrespect and danger that you could imagine (I ride a bicycle too, 8 to 10K miles a year, and as much on my motorcycle), I've found that "let it go" is the best revenge.  You just ruined someones day, and by forgetting about it, and not reacting (and not giving them the finger),  you can continue on your ride with peace of mind.  When you wrestle with pigs, you both get dirty, and the pig enjoys it!
Beleve me most of the times I just let it go,but when you notice that they act like they own the road(I am not going to go with details about what type of people I am referring to) then I just have to show my disagreement.How did I ruin his day anyhow? I didn't ask to be cutoff,maybe next time he just won't do it ?Do you let your neighbor take a dump on your lawn ?Do you?

• Global Moderator
So how exactly did the sign language help you?  After many miles/hours on the road with every kind of disrespect and danger that you could imagine (I ride a bicycle too, 8 to 10K miles a year, and as much on my motorcycle), I've found that "let it go" is the best revenge.  You just ruined someones day, and by forgetting about it, and not reacting (and not giving them the finger),  you can continue on your ride with peace of mind.  When you wrestle with pigs, you both get dirty, and the pig enjoys it!
Beleve me most of the times I just let it go,but when you notice that they act like they own the road(I am not going to go with details about what type of people I am referring to) then I just have to show my disagreement.How did I ruin his day anyhow? I didn't ask to be cutoff,maybe next time he just won't do it ?Do you let your neighbor take a dump on your lawn ?Do you?
There is an anti-shit device called a camera, and a gun. Id like to see em make it past both

There is an anti-shet device called a camera, and a gun. Id like to see em make it past both
Lol,I am all pro gun myself but wouldn't use my weapon unless my life or my family life was in emmidiate danger.I used to pack when ryding but found it bit uncomfortable unless I am open carrying.Be safe and don't shoot your neighbor lol.

• Global Moderator

There is an anti-shet device called a camera, and a gun. Id like to see em make it past both
Lol,I am all pro gun myself but wouldn't use my weapon unless my life or my family life was in emmidiate danger.I used to pack when ryding but found it bit uncomfortable unless I am open carrying.Be safe and don't shoot your neighbor lol.

Im not one of those shoot fist types by any means, but i certaibly think staring up the barrel of a barrett M107 .50 rifle makes for a good deterrant.

Gun safety is the only real concern in my world. I have a 2year old niece and a couple of safes for the family weapons. She goes shooting with us on occasion and has her own little .165 bb rifle.

i promise to at least think before i do... he's like a 2yo with a chocolate bar sometimes... thinking everyone is out to get him and steal whats his and all that.

Sorry for going off topic... back to regularly scheduled programming.

*butts diaease*

Please do, im always motivated to find new information about internal combustion
Boy, that phrase is catnip for pedantic professors :) 
Theory of the internal combustion engine (aka the Otto cycle)

In an internal combustion engine, the mixture of fuel and air is atomized ( smallest droplet possible) by the fuel injector ( or carburetors, if you ride a Harley ;) ) and sprayed in the combustion chamber. This mixture of air and fuel is then compressed by the piston ( and therefore gets very hot) and ignited by the spark plug. The ensuing explosion pushes the piston down and that, in a nutshell, gives you power.
If the compression is very high ( that is the volume of the compressed gas-air mixture is small), the temperature becomes so high that the mixtures burns ( detonates) before the spark plug fires. That is BAD. In the old days, this would damage the pistons. This is what used to be called pinging or knocking in the engine (especially when lugging it with a high gear and not enough speed). On the other hand, if the spark plug fires too late, power is lost and fuel is wasted.
That is what the timing of an engine is designed to optimize: spark at the best time.

The octane number of gasoline indicates the resistance of the fuel to detonation. Low octane number means detonation can occur sooner.
High performance engines ( high compression) require high octane fuel to prevent detonation. Old airplane engines required AVIO fuel ( high octane).

Nowadays with electronics, the spark timing is automatically adjusted, so if a high compression engine is fed low octane fuel, the spark timing is automatically retarded preventing detonation, at the expense of performance.

If an engine is designed to function properly with regular gasoline ( low octane), adding High Test (as it used to be called), will lighten your wallet more readily with not much to gain. In an 50 year old engine with carbon deposit and no electronics ( say a semi recent Harley . Just kidding...) pinging could be reduced by going to a higher octane number, but on a 2015 fuel injected state-of-the-art engine?Nope.
All the necessary parameters are continually monitored by the ECU and spark timing is adjusted on the fly for environmental and load conditions.
Bottom line, don't buy high octane fuel if it is not expressly required by the manufacturer.
My two cents, worth every penny.

Marco

Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)
Spot on, prof!  Spot on! Casual enough too that I didn't feel like I was back in ME 520 class ha...  
As a structural guy, I hated two types of classes... Ones where things moved a lot (i.e. dynamics) and anything having to do with fluids or gases.  However, as a civil, we had to take a little bit of everything before we got into the meat of our core classes and though I hated much of the thermo and fluid/gas dynamics classes, it's proven useful with this hobby of ours.  

• Like 1

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
So far, none of my neighbors have tried that.  You must live in a rough neighborhood.  I hope you gave them the finger. :P 

• Like 1

Why can't left turners see us?

Im not one of those shoot fist types by any means, but i certaibly think staring up the barrel of a barrett M107 .50 rifle makes for a good deterrant. 

So you ride around with a $12k, 30 lb, 5' long rifle?  Mmmmmmmk...
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

I wish, but no.
picked it up for 7500, military surplus and sits in my closet waiting for ammo... just over 3 bucks a round is retarded.
My carry is a G27

I wish, but no. picked it up for 7500, military surplus and sits in my closet waiting for ammo... just over 3 bucks a round is retarded.
My carry is a G27
Nice, that's a decent deal for sure.  I was just being a little facetious ha... My next question was going to be how did you mount it?  :P 
Yeah I have a buddy that has one, but I've never had any interest mostly due to the ammo cost.  

• Global Moderator

Wheres the photoshop masters at?
We need 2-m107s strapped to a red fz STAT. the world revolves around cannons...

Anyway back on topic.

ordered a bunch of bike parts....
520 conversion(renthall ultralight front 16t sprocket, vortex 45t rear, did erv3 xring chain, oem front sprocket nut)
renthall street fighter handlebars, driven d3 grips(red/black), yamaha r6 throttle tube, scorpion LiFePo4 battery,
and now im just waiting on @wickedtwister's rearset plates and cluster bracket... so i can order those too

Just back from a 70 mile ride. My son and I; he with his 2011 R6 and me on the FZ. It's already 90 F so we made it a point to get out early. Did some of the suprisingly nice shaded twisties in Northern Jersey (Skyline Drive) .. into west milford, back down Rt23. Awesome ride. Only eventful thing was me .. I knocked over a CONE (LMAO). Firemen had an intersection "coned" and they were taking collections. I saw the cones, just sideswiped it with the left foot. Felt like a dork .. lol. Son saw it in his mirror too, so I can't deny it. He shot video, hope to get a copy later today. We stopped at a great diner on the way back. NJ diner food can be really good. This was my first leisure ride this summer. Hope to get a lot more in before late fall. I did rip open the throttle at one light; hopefully he caught that footage. He did it another time and my FZ easily kept pace.. We both back off before insane illegal speeds ;) He says that's the fastest he's gone from a standing start. I'm glad he respects the bike power and speed. That R6 is a beast.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
Wheres the photoshop masters at? We need 2-m107s strapped to a red fz STAT. the world revolves around cannons...

Anyway back on topic.

ordered a bunch of bike parts....
520 conversion(renthall ultralight front 16t sprocket, vortex 45t rear, did erv3 xring chain, oem front sprocket nut)
renthall street fighter handlebars, driven d3 grips(red/black), yamaha r6 throttle tube, scorpion LiFePo4 battery,
and now im just waiting on @wickedtwister's rearset plates and cluster bracket... so i can order those too
You will like that street fighter bar I have one on my bike. Trying to get into the shop to get those plates made up but have soo much stuff to do around the house from being gone since January.

Paid the 07 back for much of the love she gives me on the daily...

Changed her over to Motul 300V Factory 10w40 w/ new Yamaha filter. This will be her blood for the rest of her foreseeable future.

Thoroughly cleaned the chain, washed the entire bike and re-lubed the chain. Checked chain slack while I was at it.

Hoping to go for a ride later, but it's been a busy weekend.

• Like 1

Today I cleaned some gnats off the bike, took a ride and saw three squids and four other douche-bag Harley riders, none of which waved back. I'll recover.

• Like 1

Beemer

Gun safety is the only real concern in my world. I have a 2year old niece and a couple of safes for the family weapons. She goes shooting with us on occasion and has her own little .165 bb rifle.

i promise to at least think before i do... he's like a 2yo with a chocolate bar sometimes... thinking everyone is out to get him and steal whats his and all that.

Sorry for going off topic... back to regularly scheduled programming.

*butts diaease*
For minute there, I thought I was @ you tube.  :-S

Beemer

Hey everybody, just wanted to make a post now that I finally have some free time when I'm not wrenching or riding. 

So, I've done a few things to my fz07. I hope you guys enjoy.

Say hello to Arcee!! She started out as a red 2015 fz07. I picked her up from freedom powersports in mcdonough ga, Previously loved with 481 miles. Since then I have Removed the red tank panels, plasti-dipped them white for about $20 in plastidip and wired up an LED Decepticon logo on either side of the tank where the yamaha logo was. After a little while of saving up, I purchased the factory white panels from Freedom powersports in canton, swapped over the hardware for the panels and put eveything back together. I just love the Pearl white that the factory white is. Since I'm going to be riding at night I decided that I wanted to stand out a little more so I found some reflective rim strips on amazon and took my time to install them. 

So far, I'm in love with this bike and how she performs. but, I am no where near done with what I want to do to it. 
I'll be doing LED turn signals, bar end mirrors, frame sliders, fender eliminator kit, ermax radiator scoops. 11539601_10153364519174017_8538255849568420637_n.jpg?oh=efd8eac761b792d79468e49e522c1121&oe=568044DE
10407307_10153362469494017_4483894783035257555_n.jpg?oh=46f5889dcaf4785bf63bb72f53d95d2b&oe=5648DB17
11695983_10153401831274017_6367460936210074551_n.jpg?oh=3a9b8b2d249cbd2dbbea68091d2a1fc9&oe=56793C54
11219609_10153401832784017_5150867736758921792_n.jpg?oh=0473516dc89b14ba06091b6d6a69d167&oe=567B8612

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Hey everybody, just wanted to make a post now that I finally have some free time when I'm not wrenching or riding.  
So, I've done a few things to my fz07. I hope you guys enjoy.

Say hello to Arcee!! She started out as a red 2015 fz07. I picked her up from freedom powersports in mcdonough ga, Previously loved with 481 miles. Since then I have Removed the red tank panels, plasti-dipped them white for about $20 in plastidip and wired up an LED Decepticon logo on either side of the tank where the yamaha logo was. After a little while of saving up, I purchased the factory white panels from Freedom powersports in canton, swapped over the hardware for the panels and put eveything back together. I just love the Pearl white that the factory white is. Since I'm going to be riding at night I decided that I wanted to stand out a little more so I found some reflective rim strips on amazon and took my time to install them. 

So far, I'm in love with this bike and how she performs. but, I am no where near done with what I want to do to it. 
I'll be doing LED turn signals, bar end mirrors, frame sliders, fender eliminator kit, ermax radiator scoops. 11539601_10153364519174017_8538255849568420637_n.jpg?oh=efd8eac761b792d79468e49e522c1121&oe=568044DE
10407307_10153362469494017_4483894783035257555_n.jpg?oh=46f5889dcaf4785bf63bb72f53d95d2b&oe=5648DB17
11695983_10153401831274017_6367460936210074551_n.jpg?oh=3a9b8b2d249cbd2dbbea68091d2a1fc9&oe=56793C54
11219609_10153401832784017_5150867736758921792_n.jpg?oh=0473516dc89b14ba06091b6d6a69d167&oe=567B8612

Looks good. How did you get that Decepticon logo put together?
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Turned over 8K on the odometer. Do I really have to replace the spark plugs now?  >:(

• Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
Turned over 8K on the odometer. Do I really have to replace the spark plugs now?  >:(
I was looking at that the other day, it looks like kind of a PITA! I'm only 3K, so post up how that goes. :)

• Like 1

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator
Tune ups are always a good thing....  And try gapping the plugs a thou or two bigger if you do it yourself.
I would say index them, but i havent seen the internals of this engine in action yet... 
I dont know the swirl patterns or how the flamefront behaves. If anyone out there has info, id like to hear it.