The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Global Moderator

I am almost at 4,000 miles and am trying to decide if I want to go to the trouble of checking my plugs. It seems like a lot of work and 4,000 miles is not very far.

crescentwrench

Finally striped it up today!!!

I realized that if I didn't do solid stripes, I'd have leftover tape, so I got creative with my wheels.
Sorry the pic quality is so crummy - I'm no photographer. It took forever to figure out how to make the reflecty-ness show up on camera!

IMG_1114_zpsz7z4cfmw.jpg

IMG_1113_zpsp5gbmzd8.jpg

And then I went ahead and used the extra for a side lightning bolt style stripe, and the mirrors, and the stock bar ends.
IMG_1115_zpscowizuiy.jpg

• Global Moderator
Finally striped it up today!!! 
I realized that if I didn't do solid stripes, I'd have leftover tape, so I got creative with my wheels.
Sorry the pic quality is so crummy - I'm no photographer. It took forever to figure out how to make the reflecty-ness show up on camera!

IMG_1114_zpsz7z4cfmw.jpg

IMG_1113_zpsp5gbmzd8.jpg

And then I went ahead and used the extra for a side lightning bolt style stripe, and the mirrors, and the stock bar ends.
IMG_1115_zpscowizuiy.jpg

Looks pretty nice for a blurple :P
wonder if a red version would work well with the new '16 raven coloring
im planning on ordering them sept 1st as a bday present for myself... its also when theyre supposed to release the 16 models

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

just rode 400 miles on Saturday to prep my butt / body for my road trip to San Francisco. Since I'm not packing much / taking much, it makes curvy roads much more enjoyable. The only thing I'm taking is a tail bag *nelson rigg sport*, a tiny 1 man tent to camp in, and a sleeping bag. I ride with 100% gear on, so as I need to, I'll just buy socks, shirts, underwear, ect. on the road and trash gross ones. It's cheaper to do that then pack stuff.

• Premium Member

Got my new m4 exhaust on as well as wrapped the pipes in some titanium exhaust wrap. Im extremely happy with how it looks, and the sound, oh boy the sound haha. Never imagined a parallel twin sounding as good as it does. I also finally got around to putting the front turn signals on today too, so now it matches the rear and got rid of those ugly big yellow ones. My next project is to get some blue led strips to put in the air intakes and wire them to the running lights so the vents will glow at night.  

unnamed%201_zpsfuz7duqs.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

So I got home from work today, and found a "picture" on the ground in front of my bike cave that my grandson had colored at school today.  Well, he and grandma were at the store, so I turned the FZ into the BunnyCycle to surprise him when he got home.
I think he liked it!

[attachment id=816" thumbnail="1]

• Like 7

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
Got a new set of Dunlop Q3's installed :) 
- Paulie
Make sure and let us know how you like them.   The PR makes them sound great! 
  • Like 2

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
Got a new set of Dunlop Q3's installed :) 
- Paulie
Make sure and let us know how you like them.   The PR makes them sound great!
I love them!  It's actually my second set :) 
Virtually no warm up time needed, and they stick like glue!

When I get a second set of wheels, I may get a dedicated track day slick...but for the street AND track, you just can't beat the Q3's.  I don't think there is anything quite this good at this price point (the Q3's are very inexpensive)

:)

- Paulie

crescentwrench
So I got home from work today, and found a "picture" on the ground in front of my bike cave that my grandson had colored at school today.  Well, he and grandma were at the store, so I turned the FZ into the BunnyCycle to surprise him when he got home. I think he liked it!

Haha! That's adorable and awesome!

• Premium Member

Ok, so I did my 3K oil change today, the first time was done by the dealer at the 600 mile break-in which as those of you that read my other posts, they pretty much screwed up badly.

Well, the oil change they did was no exception. As I mentioned before they overfilled the resevoir ( I expect better for $180 and a "professional" mechanic).

At any rate, I had bought the oil a few weeks ago on Amazon but I forgot the filter and it came in yesterday, so I figured I had enough time to do a 20 minute (cough) oil change before it got dark.

My adventure started when I couldn't break the drain plug bolt. I had to Stand on the wrench and do a bunny hop. Ok, so I guess the dealer thought this was a head bolt off of a Mac Truck.

But the real adventure was the oil filter. I figured I could unscrew it by hand. I personally almost never need a wrench on car oil filters that I put in, and I figured a small bike one would be a piece of cake.

I couldn't break it by hand and the oil filter wrenches I had were all too big so I went and got a strap wrench from Autozone. It couldn't do it either. It was so damn tight that it was bending the plastic handle of the strap wrench. I finally managed to MANGLE it off with a pipe wrench and some vice grips.

Dammit that pissed me off. between running to the store and digging thru tools and beating up my brand new bike this 20 minute job took several hours.

I never complained to that service manager at the dealership, because I was giving them a bit of the benefit of the doubt, but DAMMIT, torquing a drain bolt to 100 ft lbs? making it impossible to remove an oil filter with an admittedly cheap strap wrench (I didn't want to spend much because NEXT time I will be able to use my two hands, because I know how tight a filter needs to be, and I know to put a bead of oil on the gasket before installing it).

Grr. venting here.

Anyhow, it will be a breeze next time, and now at least I can see the level in the window.

But I gotta wonder, since they messed up every other aspect of my maintenance. What the hell did they do to my throttle body (need to check it and see how far outta whack it is). I can usually only start my bike in neutral, it won't start in first with the clutch most days. When it was new, and breaking in, it would start in any position reliably. I regret forcing them to do it. (they didn't want to but it was supposed to be included in the price, and was in the manual, so I insisted).

Hopefully asshat for brains knew that you're only supposed to adjust one side etc.., because he clearly had no mechanical aptitude in other areas.

But what REALLY scares me is that he almost assuredly over-torqued the back axle bolts, and I have heard horror stories about the results of that mistake. SO when I go to adjust my chain and fix the alignment that is definitely off, I would be well advised to have some extra bolts lying around, and hopefully my axle threads aren't all galled up.

The service manager is going to hear from me, because, I mean how many people are getting their bikes messed up from whatever mechanic worked on mine, or maybe the janitor was helping that day?

/vent off.

Actually I had a pretty good day. It just really pisses me off that the professionals I depended on showed so little care and knowledge when they rushed thru my break-in maintenance.

I hate it when an EASY job takes forever because the last guy who worked on it was a dumbass. And that dumbass should NEVER be taking money for working on other peoples stuff.

P.S. I know I am long-winded. Sorry :/

Databyter

Been there, done that!  Used a strap wrench, then one of those that fits the bottom of a filter, added a layer of tape to make that tighter.  Then used one of those that clamps over the the bottom of the filter and squeezes tighter as you turn it.  When I managed to get it off, the filter was pretty mangled.  The oil filter bolt was too tight as well, but I used my 1/2 inch wrench and a 6 point socket.  The 12 points are worthless trying to remove bolts tightened by clueless gorillas.

I couldn't break it by hand and the oil filter wrenches I had were all too big so I went and got a strap wrench from Autozone. It couldn't do it either. It was so damn tight that it was bending the plastic handle of the strap wrench. I finally managed to MANGLE it off with a pipe wrench and some vice grips.

I use big plumbing pliers that open up wide enough to grab the filter, just clamp down hard enough until the filter starts to cave in and that always works for me. If not, last resort is a long screw driver through the filter.

• Like 1

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

Next time get the k&n filters. They have a nut welded on the front to make it easy to remove. If it's not installed too tightly in the first place it may not be needed but it's there just in case anyway.http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/oil_filter/yamaha_fz-07.aspx

• Premium Member

Spent the last couple days painting part of the tank, front fender and ermax radiator scoops. Tonight I think I'm gonna just take off the tail and get that done also. Possibly paint the gen-x sport screen also and stencil 07 onto it.

• Premium Member
Next time get the k&n filters. They have a nut welded on the front to make it easy to remove. If it's not installed too tightly in the first place it may not be needed but it's there just in case anyway.http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/oil_filter/yamaha_fz-07.aspx
yea, that's the one I bought. I was gonna buy several but this one is on evaluation. Seems to be high quality. They even sealed it with a plastic membrane, and there is a hole in the nut if you want to wire it.

Databyter

• Premium Member

installed a usb charger in the aux port on the bike. Easy install except the heat here in Texas is just brutal. :-/

I also had a hole in my oil filter. Since I converted my bike to a Motocage, the one thing that should be noted is that you MUST use a smaller filter like the KN204. The Fram that I had on there, is longer, and rubbed up against one of the screws of the belly pan and made a hole in it. I saw about 4 or 5 drops of oil on the floor of the garage this morning and thought "oh no". Luckly, I still had plenty of oil in the bike itself, but just something to note for all those converting to a Motocage.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I milled me a set of rearset relocating brackets today. I really like how they turned out. Details on purchasing them coming soon via my supporting vendor page.

[video src=https://youtu.be/EiCfTiT8k10]

20150822_185833_zpsc9wigohu.jpg

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I probably would have been at my 600 mile point by now, but it has literally rained every day since Monday here, I have only gotten one ride in to the store and back and that was a tease at best. The weather is supposed to get better starting tomorrow, so I look forward to actually riding it for once......on the plus side I ordered some bar end mirrors and im currently deciding on my best option for rear stand spools. 

Friday night, I was all set to go for a ride when I noticed how poorly the motorcycle moved in the driveway. Looked down to see my rear tire completely flat. After looking for about twenty minutes, I finally found the hole. Plugged it today and filled it back up. I don't trust plugs for long. Especially not on a motorcycle, so I plan to get a new tire this week. So sad to have to replace a tire with only 3k miles on it. Now the question, do I get the exact same one, or try something new?

• Premium Member
Just ordered the Evotech radiator guard and the OES sliders!!!!! 
Now to watch the mail each day!
Dont get me started...I have over a dozen goodies on the way from exhaust to lights....."a no mail day" is a sad day. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Replaced mine at 750!  The michelin pilots are really excellent tires.  You can find threads since this has been discussed before.  The Pilot 4 has been out for about a year now.

Friday night, I was all set to go for a ride when I noticed how poorly the motorcycle moved in the driveway. Looked down to see my rear tire completely flat. After looking for about twenty minutes, I finally found the hole. Plugged it today and filled it back up. I don't trust plugs for long. Especially not on a motorcycle, so I plan to get a new tire this week. So sad to have to replace a tire with only 3k miles on it. Now the question, do I get the exact same one, or try something new?