The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

Almost dumped the bike today...

Man you almost done messed up @scordiaboy 's legacy. Nice recovery. That target fixation is real, don't let it bite you again!
  • Like 2

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Almost dumped the bike today... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bribZmq9Wqo

Wow man, glad that ended well. That is a pants changing experience right there. It looks like the tar patch/pot hole unsettled the front suspension, otherwise you may have held that line just fine. 
Xeon
  • Like 1

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

dentalprodigy

Wow man, glad that ended well. That is a pants changing experience right there. It looks like the tar patch/pot hole unsettled the front suspension, otherwise you may have held that line just fine. 
Xeon

Yes, I almost destroyed Scordiaboy515's legacy.  Glad she's ok.  

I know I definitely learned some valuable lessons today.  Eyes on the road ALL THE TIME.  Had I not "given up" after realizing I was running wide & corrected by adding more lean + throttle I could have easily saved it.  Goofed up big time.  Not again.  

• Like 1

Guest 2wheeler

Hey DentalProdigy, just curious, do you have some dirt bike riding experience? That was a nice save, and having done a lot of dirt riding myself, I know that a lot of the dirt riding skills translates to the street especially when you get into a situation like yours.

Guest 2wheeler

So I finally got around to installing frame sliders. After looking at too many versions, I ended up with Shogun sliders. I like them mostly do to them not having any indicia such as OES, Evotech, etc. They look good, seem well made, and were $56 delivered. Now the trick is to never need them. Oh yeah, they are made in the USA.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@dentalprodigy whoa!!! I'm glad you're okay bud. Man, had me in shock for a sec.

• Like 1

SigSide.jpg

dentalprodigy
Hey DentalProdigy, just curious, do you have some dirt bike riding experience? That was a nice save, and having done a lot of dirt riding myself, I know that a lot of the dirt riding skills translates to the street especially when you get into a situation like yours.
No, I don't have any dirtbiking experience.  It's on my wish list though.  Next bike is definitely gonna be a dualsport or dedicated dirtbike.  Only experience riding in dirt is from an ATV which I rode once and interestingly also crashed.  I was 12 years old, and was stupider.  I had no concept of physics.  Made an emergency u-turn by turning handlebars and braking at the same time.  Got immediately thrown off the thing and it flipped over like 2-3 times.   
Interesting you say that about riding in dirt & the associated skills translating to the street.  Had a patient tell me the same thing, this past friday.  He said it helps you handle situations ie losing control on a gravel patch mid turn, getting comfortable with the rear wheel's limit of traction, standing up on pegs.    Just remembered... I mentioned how I'm not comfortable with putting my feet down and remarked at how I see dirt bikers doing that all the time.  He actually emphasized to never do that (put leg down mid turn) instead to stand up on the pegs instead if things get hairy.  

When I can afford another bike, I'm definitely considering a dirt bike.  That's for sure.  

• Premium Member

The Dirt bike skills i have learned made me a far better rider then I was not having any motorcycle experience prior to owning my first road bike just outta high school...if I could I would love to learn to " flat track'. Just to add more well rounded riding experience...

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I've almost been in this situation a few times. When I find myself going too wide, I'll dip the shyt out of the bike and cut the turn hard and low. I've been lucky to avoid this. I'm very glad nothing happened to you or the bike! Great save!
  • Like 3

Received this from @shifther on Friday. Fits my climbing gear (if I stuff it in).

Looks good man! Hope you get some good use out of it! 
I... dropped my bike. :( Guess I get added to the club of of shame. It was so stupid. I had got off the bike to look at something, got back on, put up kickstand to take off, then decided I needed to fix my sock, so I got back off the bike, then as the bike's falling on top of me I realize I didn't put the kickstand down. x_x  Ugh. Such an idiot. Thankfully, I was in a cemetery, so the only other people who saw it were all dead.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Received this from @shifther on Friday. Fits my climbing gear (if I stuff it in). 

Looks good man! Hope you get some good use out of it! 
I... dropped my bike. :( Guess I get added to the club of of shame. It was so stupid. I had got off the bike to look at something, got back on, put up kickstand to take off, then decided I needed to fix my sock, so I got back off the bike, then as the bike's falling on top of me I realize I didn't put the kickstand down. x_x  Ugh. Such an idiot. Thankfully, I was in a cemetery, so the only other people who saw it were all dead.
Gave the ghosts something to talk about ;) 
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
Left Cali to Atlanta, missing my baby Scully. I'll see her Wednesday!
My thoughts exactly when I moved to Georgia but.. Scully = San Diego :) 

Guest ChicagoAJ

Any aftermarket engine components that will either reduce or maximize airflow both into and out of the engine should be tuned for. Otherwise the ECU will be running the parameters for the stock set up. This could cause you to run lean or rich depending on the mod(s).

The ECU can only fine tune and learn/adjust for so much. Usually only one mod. I would suggest if you're doing an air filter and exhaust to get some kind of fuel management.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

@Goob, no, that would require me to spend money. :) I might get a tailpack instead though.

• Like 2

- Andy

• Premium Member
I hear ya, that Yamaha seat cowl is like $250. Uggggh
Ermax makes once that's about half that. Still, $100 for a piece of plastic is excessive, IMO. So is $40 for a bracket, that's why I made my own. It might not be as pretty, but function over form I guess. 

No, just put replacement bolts in to fill the holes.
  • Like 3

- Andy

Guest ChicagoAJ
Any aftermarket engine components that will either reduce or maximize airflow both into and out of the engine should be tuned for. Otherwise the ECU will be running the parameters for the stock set up. This could cause you to run lean or rich depending on the mod(s).  
The ECU can only fine tune and learn/adjust for so much. Usually only one mod. I would suggest if you're doing an air filter and exhaust to get some kind of fuel management.
Gotcha, thanks. So, a new air filter won't do any good until I get some kind of fuel controller, right?
Correct, no mods are really being used to their potential until you tune the engine for them. You may get 1-2hp on the top end due to more flow, but you'll more than likely lose bottom end power.  
Always tune for your mods (that's always been my motto), otherwise you spent all that money just to say you have them. 
  • Like 1

Whew ... definite good save .. you didn't panic, over react or put a death grip on the handlebars and rode it out.  A lot of things could have gone wrong fast.   That's a rough looking road with a horrible shoulder.
:o

Almost dumped the bike today... 

• Like 1