The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

Guest 2wheeler

I installed my newest experiment today - 2" round blindspot mirrors

First off, yesterday I installed mirror extenders

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-CNC-Mirrors-Riser-Extender-Adaptor-MT-01-03-TDM-900-MT-07-MT-09-FZ-09-/280640301520

I played around with different locations for the blindspot mirrors, and settled on just inside the point on the outside of each mirror. This allowed me to see the most space behind and to the side of me.

I put about 125 miles on today of a mix of interstates and secondary roads. While the blindspot mirrors eat up some of the regular view of the Yamaha mirrors, there is still plenty area there to get a good view of what is at your side. The mirror extenders dramatically make that possible.

Regarding how well the blindspot mirrors actually work, I'm willing to say that after you get use to using them, you really don't need to turn your head everytime you are changing lanes - there are no blindspots with those mirrors and the extenders installed. Before I hear a ton of crap about that statement, let me say that I have been using blindspot mirrors on my cars and trucks for over 20 years, so I am very use to doing an instantaneous check of both mirrors before I take an action. Developing habits takes 100s if not 1000s of repetitions, so be very careful for a while if you decide to install them. Having said that, I already feel way safer with them than not, especially with the extenders installed.

Sadly, the two things that Yamaha dropped the ball on are both related to safety

1. Crap mirrors
2. Horn button location

Lastly, if you decide to try the blindspot mirrors, do not let the edges of the blindspot mirror touch the edges of the Yamaha mirror as it creates any unbelievably annoying buzz. Yeah, I found out the hard way, and am going to need to replace both of them. It didn't prevent me from testing them though. Plus they cost $2.59 at Advantage Auto so NBD.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rear-Passenger-Seat-Grab-Bar-Hand-Rail-For-Yamaha-MT-07-MT07-2013-2015-/391408257433?var=&hash=item5b21c00999:m:mYH9X3BKlC3K_NIJs_YyrXw&vxp=mtr 
Took about a 10 days to get here - usually don't like to buy china based products, but its really well made. Took my daughter for a ride this am and she really happy with how it felt. Also gives me a nice place to bungee my gym bag to.
Any chance you could post a pick of how they're mounted under the pillion? Thanks
That would be cool to see pictures of the set up. 

btimothy4

Any chance you could post a pic of how they're mounted under the pillion? Thanks
There is a small threaded "pad" that it bolts and to the rear 
IMG_1371_zpsmw6ofqku.jpg

IMG_1372_zpsisvuaowd.jpg

• Like 2

Guest ChicagoAJ
The the noise level difference is not your imagination. I totally had the same experience, it definitely sounds quieter at the same RPMs that it sounded much louder at before. I find myself thinking I'm going 50 or 60 based on the engine sound and gear, but I looked down and I'm doing 70 or 80.
I've got to assume that is because of the increase in power, we are now able to reach higher speeds at the same RPM (and subsequently lower RPMs at the same speed as before)
That's literally impossible. The speed per RPMs is based on the gear ratio. The flash doesn't change that.  

The only way that would change is if the flash changed the redline/rev limiter. Even then, cruising at 45mph in 4th/5th/6th would remain the same RPM with a flash or without. 

• Premium Member
Any chance you could post a pic of how they're mounted under the pillion? Thanks
There is a small threaded "pad" that it bolts and to the rear 

Thanks! Much appreciated.  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I finally picked mine up this weekend and rode 85 miles today!

2016 Raven w/ White plastics... and a bunch of mods already, absolutely loving the Akra Carbon!

IMG_20160508_164503936_HDR_zpszusdo9cf.jpg

IMG_20160508_164614234_zpshwfruq55.jpg

• Like 6

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

Went to holy jim trail at orange county ca. For some dirt trail, trying out the tkc80 tires.
47a46b970f258f6af35a68bc8a6108d3.jpg
7cd382201d59996479215a1023e3e20e.jpg
e0e7fd7e8bc263473e7b02d4268a310c.jpg

• Like 4

ilie1977

Guest 2wheeler
Went to holy jim trail at orange county ca. For some dirt trail, trying out the tkc80 tires. 47a46b970f258f6af35a68bc8a6108d3.jpg
Just curious, were you on gravel/dirt roads only?

As a dirt bike guy, I know all too well how easy it is to get into a situation where a rock will try to take out your oil pan - hence the concept of a skid plate.

Having said that, how did your tires do? More importantly, what sizes did you use, and how easily did they mount?

Thanks

• Like 3

Went to holy jim trail at orange county ca. For some dirt trail, trying out the tkc80 tires. 47a46b970f258f6af35a68bc8a6108d3.jpg
As a dirt bike guy, I know all too well how easy it is to get into a situation where a rock will try to take out your oil pan - hence the concept of a skid plate.

Having said that, how did your tires do? More importantly, what sizes did you use, and how easily did they mount?

Thanks

Both gravel and dirt my top speed was uphill 10 to 15mph scary felt like I was going to fall off and my hands was numb from the jolts. Downhill was a little different 25mph and I knew the road from going uphill. My oil pan is ok I did not try to ride it like a idiot. The size of the tires are the same as stock tubeless and I want to do it again this time with a gopro.
  • Like 1

ilie1977

You could. Mine looked essentially clean after a year of the stock one in. Unless they changed it in one of the tune ups... Anyway, it was super clean. Taking that snorkel off, the power commander, and the exhaust for sure made a difference in the bike. Not sure what one did the most.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I crashed last Friday with a few of my buds. I slowed my friend down to warn him of a tight corner and as I went around looked back and noticed he was in the other lane almost off the road ( he didn't) I panicked and the bike went into a ditch and I rolled several times down the road. I'm guessing I was going 30 to 40 mph at the time. I was a little banged up a little road rash on my elbow ( the jacket slid up my arm)
total loss
Fly Jacket 100
Shoei helmet 450
left rear side cover 50
handle bars 70 but upgrading now to wood craft
several scratches over different areas but not not too bad over all I'm alive with minimal damage.
I ended up riding the bike back home and grabbed the Buell to finish out the ride lol.
right side controls 70

• Like 2

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Guest ChicagoAJ
You could. Mine looked essentially clean after a year of the stock one in. Unless they changed it in one of the tune ups... Anyway, it was super clean. Taking that snorkel off, the power commander, and the exhaust for sure made a difference in the bike. Not sure what one did the most.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "snorkel?"
8w8Z4bE.jpg 
The big rubber tube that is right under the rider seat. Can be pulled out without any tools. It leads to the airbox/air filter. 
  • Like 1

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "snorkel?"
It sits on top of your air filter and restricts the amount of air going into the engine.  Its a restriction thing.  I bought a plate that removes the snorkel and essentially just makes it a giant hole the size of the filter.  Way more air flow. 
EmIeoJm.jpg

I crashed last Friday with a few of my buds. I slowed my friend down to warn him of a tight corner and as I went around looked back and noticed he was in the other lane almost off the road ( he didn't) I panicked and the bike went into a ditch and I rolled several times down the road. I'm guessing I was going 30 to 40 mph at the time. I was a little banged up a little road rash on my elbow ( the jacket slid up my arm) total loss
Fly Jacket 100
Shoei helmet 450
left rear side cover 50
several scratches over different areas but not not too bad over all I'm alive with minimal damage.
I ended up riding the bike back home and grabbed the Buell to finish out the ride lol.
right side controls 70

Glad to hear it was just some of the bike, jacket and helmet that took the blow and not you. That's why we wear gears, well done. 
  • Like 1

Thanks

Both gravel and dirt my top speed was uphill 10 to 15mph scary felt like I was going to fall off and my hands was numb from the jolts. Downhill was a little different 25mph and I knew the road from going uphill. My oil pan is ok I did not try to ride it like a idiot. The size of the tires are the same as stock tubeless and I want to do it again this time with a gopro.
Have your friend wear the Gopro, this way we can see the FZ in action P-)  
  • Like 1

Guest ChicagoAJ
I crashed last Friday with a few of my buds. I slowed my friend down to warn him of a tight corner and as I went around looked back and noticed he was in the other lane almost off the road ( he didn't) I panicked and the bike went into a ditch and I rolled several times down the road. I'm guessing I was going 30 to 40 mph at the time. I was a little banged up a little road rash on my elbow ( the jacket slid up my arm) total loss
Fly Jacket 100
Shoei helmet 450
left rear side cover 50
right side controls 70

Sounds like it wasn't too bad. Glad you're alright. 
  • Like 1

Guest ChicagoAJ

Just remove the snorkel. I'm going to do this the next time I get a chance to ride (stupid rain). Looks like nearly everyone takes it out and I haven't seen anything bad about doing so yet. 

High flow filters are a waste of money (in my opinion), nothing will filter better than OEM. I think our OEM filters are good for 24,000 miles too. Wouldn't hurt to check it every 8,000 miles or so though. 

If you did get a new filter, you wouldn't need to get a tune. Just don't over oil the filter and you won't have any issues.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

For some strange reason I decided to make a list of all the upgrades I have done so far, and total them up. Oof! I think I'm in for around $11K total all told (bike included). Word to the wise: just don't keep track of what you've spent. :)

(also: it's good to be single and make good money)

• Like 7

For some strange reason I decided to make a list of all the upgrades I have done so far, and total them up. Oof! I think I'm in for around $11K total all told (bike included). Word to the wise: just don't keep track of what you've spent. :)  
(also: it's good to be single and make good money)
Words to live by...
  • Like 2

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

There's a prayer in the racing community: "Lord, when I die, please don't let my wife sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it."

• Like 8

• Premium Member
Fly Jacket 100
Shoei helmet 450
left rear side cover 50
right side controls 70

Damn Jake.... Good to hear you were up and about right away; the Gods were with you there my man!  Consider that Helite airvest? I love the safety/confidence mine instills while I'm out there.

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
There's a prayer in the racing community: "Lord, when I die, please don't let my wife sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it."
HAHA .... my wife already knows. :D She's one of the good ones. 
  • Like 1