The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

They are! @bellissimoto , is a supporting vendor here and sells them!
how do those mount?  i'm looking at getting a pair myself

Real easy. Take a pic of where the marks are to begin with. Loosen axle bolt taking the tension off the inner axle blocks. Remove the old counter nuts and covers. Place the new chain adjusters after greasing the axle blocks threads. Tighten the upper two clamping elements. Adjust the chain to your old marks. Tighten the axle bolt. If everything lines up on both sides, tighten the counter nuts. That's it! Comes with good directions too.

I turned the claws around on my stand so it won't hit the axle block. Picture of that coming up next.
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
how do those mount?  i'm looking at getting a pair myself
Real easy. Take a pic of where the marks are to begin with. Loosen axle bolt taking the tension off the inner axle blocks. Remove the old counter nuts and covers. Place the new chain adjusters after greasing the axle blocks threads. Tighten the upper two clamping elements. Adjust the chain to your old marks. Tighten the axle bolt. If everything lines up on both sides, tighten the counter nuts. That's it! Comes with good directions too. 
I turned the claws around on my stand so it won't hit the axle block. Picture of that coming up next.
I took an even easier route, and didn't bother loosening the axle bolt.  Just remove old, put new one on and snug up the tension nuts. Your good to go. 
  • Like 1

Why can't left turners see us?

I took an even easier route, and didn't bother loosening the axle bolt.  Just remove old, put new one on and snug up the tension nuts. Your good to go.

Might be okay that route too. But I think relaxing the inner axle blocks helps the new chain adjuster seat properly.

• Premium Member
Might be okay that route too. But I think relaxing the inner axle blocks helps the new chain adjuster seat properly.
Umm, OK.   With the axle bolts torqued, I think you can crank the new adjusters to make sure they are seated properly, then just back them off and resnug.  In fact, how can you get them seated if there is no tension? :| 

Umm, OK.   With the axle bolts torqued, I think you can crank the new adjusters to make sure they are seated properly, then just back them off and resnug.  In fact, how can you get them seated if there is no tension? :| 

Seat them with the two bolts up on top. Per directions, screw the adjuster nuts until the chain adjusters touches the swingarms, then crank the top two top bolts to 4 nm and that wedges them up to the swingarms.
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

I installed Traf-X X-Light 01 turn signals on the front. It got too late to do the back tonight and too dark to take any photos. I will finish up tomorrow, unless it is nice weather, in which case I will probably go for a long ride instead.

• Like 1

2f09df1d0105a774d12e08eace96cae3.jpg9223dec7a0a0ce1ecca0ed7b96e68dc9.jpg
love those adjusters! 
But I think you have the hooks to your stand the wrong way round. The long arm is usually forward making it easier to catch the spools. 

• Global Moderator
Broke stuff. 16f5af1640ca655782d42d130150adae.jpg
Again?
  • Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

2f09df1d0105a774d12e08eace96cae3.jpg9223dec7a0a0ce1ecca0ed7b96e68dc9.jpg
love those adjusters! 
But I think you have the hooks to your stand the wrong way round. The long arm is usually forward making it easier to catch the spools. 

I turned them around intentionally because they will hit the axle blocks.

thomascrown
Broke stuff. 16f5af1640ca655782d42d130150adae.jpg
Again?
I think this will be a recurring issue for a lot of people. The nut should be replaced every once in a while, otherwise it will seize/strip and take the axle and axle holder thingy with it.
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator
Again?
I think this will be a recurring issue for a lot of people. The nut should be replaced every once in a while, otherwise it will seize/strip and take the axle and axle holder thingy with it.
Yeah... i can certainly see that
had that issue when removing both sprockets... front didnt want to come off, rear stripped all the nuts coming off the carrier
bought 4 of em with my repair order... same with sprocket nut swingarm nut and front axle nut
  • Like 1

love those adjusters! 
I turned them around intentionally because they will hit the axle blocks.
Doh, i see that now. It's always somethin, lol 
From the number of axles getting wrecked just unscrewing those goofy lock nuts, looks like there'll be a demand for an updated set-up for those axle things as well. . 

• Premium Member

Anyone know of an alternative replacement nut that would not have that problem?

Changed my oil ... Castrol synthetic 10w40T. Also swapped out the drain plug with one of those magnetic ones. Used K&N oil filter. Rhetorical question: Why must the oil drain plug drop in the hot oil?

Then for Fathers day ... made wood fire grilled pizzas! Weber performa grill with Kettle Pizza grill attachment.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
Changed my oil ... Castrol synthetic 10w40T. Also swapped out the drain plug with one of those magnetic ones. Used K&N oil filter. Rhetorical question: Why must the oil drain plug drop in the hot oil? 
Then for Fathers day ... made wood fire grilled pizzas! Weber performa grill with Kettle Pizza grill attachment.
"Why must the oil drain plug drop in the hot oil?" .....Perhaps as a reminder of the good ol' days of changing diapers?  

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Just measure - shouldn't be too hard to find std. nut to replace that self-locking OE nut. Then just use blue Loctite for a bit of security.  
Maybe, next time you have the nut off, grind/file down that last "thread" that's digging in and causing so much trouble. 

Ya know, even just axle protectors might be enough security for the nut.

• Global Moderator
Just measure - shouldn't be too hard to find std. nut to replace that self-locking OE nut. Then just use blue Loctite for a bit of security.  
Maybe, next time you have the nut off, grind/file down that last "thread" that's digging in and causing so much trouble. 

Ya know, even just axle protectors might be enough security for the nut.

Its a circlip that 'digs in' to prevent backing off
its on all the nuts on the bike

thomascrown

Pro bolt makes a replacement nut. I don't want to dremel through grade 5 titanium if the same thing happens to that nut.

Guest 2wheeler

Just rode 530 miles today - longest day ride I have ever done!

Up to now my biggest day ride on the FZ was 250 miles. When I was done, I did not feel the need for a windshield/screen, and I didn't get what everyone was complaining about with respect to the seat. Well.... that has all changed with over double that mileage!!!

I learned 5 things about the FZ that are going to need changed before I do anything that long again.

1. New seat
2. Windscreen
3. ECU flash
4. Crampbuster
5. Real luggage

Having said that, it was really a great ride (achy butt aside) as the weather was low 80's with total shineshine, and not too breezy. I learned a lot about the bike, with the thing that surprised me the most being how strongly 6th gear pulled over 65mph. All the misc. upgrades I have done so far worked just fine as part of the reason for this long ride was a shake-down cruise to see what worked well, and what I still need to do before I can comfortably go on a multi-day long cruise.  Also, the backroads of rural PA nicely bring out how crappy the suspension is on the FZ!

Lastly, I had just bought a FirstGear motorcycle 20L backpack for this trip. It was $100 new, and I got it on Craigslist as new for $35. I also learned that while a backpack is fine for short distances, You need either a tailbag and/or saddlebags for long distances.

PS. By a goof-up, I found out that I can get at least 24.7 miles on blinking reserve. It took me that long in rural PA to find a gas station - little bit worried on that one. Also, I had an opportuity to fill up with 91 octane gas with no ethanol added - didn't notice any difference except for how freaking expensive it was ($3.20/gallon).

• Like 4