The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

booboobusfz07

I keep wondering what everyone is using to take that axle nut off. Youd think an impact with the right socket would take it off no problem.

• Global Moderator

[attachment id=1808" thumbnail="1]
I changed out my turn signals to Traf-X 01's. They are very high quality with metal backs instead of plastic. I am very happy with them. 

• Like 4

• Global Moderator
I keep wondering what everyone is using to take that axle nut off. Youd think an impact with the right socket would take it off no problem.
27mm 6pt socket

I also used a c-clamp on the swingarm to hold the axle head in its place

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

thomascrown

On a fresh nut, you won't need to clamp the axle head. That was the tell tale sign that should have had my spider senses tingling. If you need to hold the axle head so that it doesn't rotate while you tighten, your nut is toast.

Just rode 530 miles today - longest day ride I have ever done! 
Up to now my biggest day ride on the FZ was 250 miles. When I was done, I did not feel the need for a windshield/screen, and I didn't get what everyone was complaining about with respect to the seat. Well.... that has all changed with over double that mileage!!!

I learned 5 things about the FZ that are going to need changed before I do anything that long again.

1. New seat
2. Windscreen
3. ECU flash
4. Crampbuster
5. Real luggage

Having said that, it was really a great ride (achy butt aside) as the weather was low 80's with total shineshine, and not too breezy. I learned a lot about the bike, with the thing that surprised me the most being how strongly 6th gear pulled over 65mph. All the misc. upgrades I have done so far worked just fine as part of the reason for this long ride was a shake-down cruise to see what worked well, and what I still need to do before I can comfortably go on a multi-day long cruise.  Also, the backroads of rural PA nicely bring out how crappy the suspension is on the FZ!

Lastly, I had just bought a FirstGear motorcycle 20L backpack for this trip. It was $100 new, and I got it on Craigslist as new for $35. I also learned that while a backpack is fine for short distances, You need either a tailbag and/or saddlebags for long distances.

PS. By a goof-up, I found out that I can get at least 24.7 miles on blinking reserve. It took me that long in rural PA to find a gas station - little bit worried on that one. Also, I had an opportuity to fill up with 91 octane gas with no ethanol added - didn't notice any difference except for how freaking expensive it was ($3.20/gallon).

From what I've read about differences in octane, higher octane only makes a difference if your engine is knocking, it may eliminate it. Higher octane doesn't make more power when combusted so no, you won't feel any difference but the lack of ethanol over the years 'may' make a difference to your bike. 

http://motorbikewriter.com/is-ethanol-suitable-for-motorcycles/

Beemer

Just rode 530 miles today - longest day ride I have ever done! 
Up to now my biggest day ride on the FZ was 250 miles. When I was done, I did not feel the need for a windshield/screen, and I didn't get what everyone was complaining about with respect to the seat. Well.... that has all changed with over double that mileage!!!

I learned 5 things about the FZ that are going to need changed before I do anything that long again.

1. New seat
2. Windscreen
3. ECU flash
4. Crampbuster
5. Real luggage

Having said that, it was really a great ride (achy butt aside) as the weather was low 80's with total shineshine, and not too breezy. I learned a lot about the bike, with the thing that surprised me the most being how strongly 6th gear pulled over 65mph. All the misc. upgrades I have done so far worked just fine as part of the reason for this long ride was a shake-down cruise to see what worked well, and what I still need to do before I can comfortably go on a multi-day long cruise.  Also, the backroads of rural PA nicely bring out how crappy the suspension is on the FZ!

Lastly, I had just bought a FirstGear motorcycle 20L backpack for this trip. It was $100 new, and I got it on Craigslist as new for $35. I also learned that while a backpack is fine for short distances, You need either a tailbag and/or saddlebags for long distances.

PS. By a goof-up, I found out that I can get at least 24.7 miles on blinking reserve. It took me that long in rural PA to find a gas station - little bit worried on that one. Also, I had an opportuity to fill up with 91 octane gas with no ethanol added - didn't notice any difference except for how freaking expensive it was ($3.20/gallon).

85a796ae70f63504ad1acb2847c0666e.jpg

Maybe look into getting a fuel bottle. Seems like it would fit your riding lifestyle perfectly!
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Installed Tail Tidy this weekend. Didn't dislike the previous one, it's just more to clean at the end of the day. Got a sweet deal for about 50 bucks on Amazon that includes 4 led blinkers. Not the best looking, not the worst. Had to get a relay for them though. I'll probably get better looking led's that are as visible as I can get.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8NSKb-z1hNkOHNWSjVQUHotcGs

• Like 2

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

azfz07 
Why heat wrapped? 
1st reason is I like the look it gives, and I believe it goes with the "feel/spirit" of this bike. 2nd it cuts down on some of the heat by the legs. And the less heat the better when you ride during the summer in AZ.

Installed and heat wrapped my new exhaust. (M4, dB killer installed) 
3e4474b44c6db628c6282365744249be.jpg

https://vimeo.com/171347132

https://vimeo.com/171347159
Which spools do you have and where did you get them? I need some! 
Btw I also live in AZ (tempe), it's been so hot those past few days it literally burns when riding on the freeway lol
I have the OES frame sliders kit, and the rear axle sliders have spools integrated in them. The only down side is you can't use them if you have to tighten/loosen your chain or take the wheel off.

http://www.oesaccessories.com/2015-2016FZ-07.html

azfz07 
Why heat wrapped? 
1st reason is I like the look it gives, and I believe it goes with the "feel/spirit" of this bike. 2nd it cuts down on some of the heat by the legs. And the less heat the better when you ride during the summer in AZ.
Florida guy here, understood and it will definitely attract looks.

Beemer

Put my Viper stands from Amazon together. The rear swing-arm rests fit perfectly at the maximum width (so probably maximum strength) setting. See no reason to buy something more expensive. Sooo easy to lift a light bike.

• Like 2

No video, no pictures as they are unnecessary, but I got a love tap on the front tire and left some rubber on a Mazda 3 today. I am not hurt at all, the bike is perfectly fine. Just a slight tap.

I was waiting at the green to turn left. The light turned yellow and I was already half out into the intersection. I started to turn left when the Mazda gunned it to run the yellow. I managed to hammer on the brakes and stop in time, but her fender and door got a little rubber to metal contact from my front tire.

I do know better, and usually wait behind the line. Just one of those days, and I am happy I had the reaction time to save myself a trip to the ER.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
No video, no pictures as they are unnecessary, but I got a love tap on the front tire and left some rubber on a Mazda 3 today. I am not hurt at all, the bike is perfectly fine. Just a slight tap. 
I was waiting at the green to turn left. The light turned yellow and I was already half out into the intersection. I started to turn left when the Mazda gunned it to run the yellow. I managed to hammer on the brakes and stop in time, but her fender and door got a little rubber to metal contact from my front tire.

I do know better, and usually wait behind the line. Just one of those days, and I am happy I had the reaction time to save myself a trip to the ER.
That's a good reminder that is a heck of a lot better than the other possible consequences.  Glad no harm was done.  I've been an idiot too many times to count, and I try to remember them all and not do it again, but I'm also forgetful, so.... :( 

Why can't left turners see us?

Guest ChicagoAJ

Got my $20 sprocket cover from China. Actually very impressed with the quality. Sadly, I won't have a chance to put it on until friday. Hard to tell from the picture but it's a very glossy black and well made/put together. I'll report back friday with how it fits. 

23rkf8m.jpg

255mc8i.jpg

• Like 1

Got my $20 sprocket cover from China. Actually very impressed with the quality. Sadly, I won't have a chance to put it on until friday. Hard to tell from the picture but it's a very glossy black and well made/put together. I'll report back friday with how it fits.  
23rkf8m.jpg

255mc8i.jpg

I got mine but red gonna install it later too

I got

• Premium Member
Put my Viper stands from Amazon together. The rear swing-arm rests fit perfectly at the maximum width (so probably maximum strength) setting. See no reason to buy something more expensive. Sooo easy to lift a light bike.
You should get the dolly for the back, makes it even easier to move around in the garage.

I may be moving to NZ around the turn of the year. Do you have some tips on laws and regulations and what to look for and be aware of as I ship my FZ-07 from the States? Thanks! - Scott

• Premium Member
23rkf8m.jpg

255mc8i.jpg
I got mine but red gonna install it later too 
I got
So it is gloss black paint or anodized?  Post pics installed too. ;) 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator
43fed572e13c4cfee744dd83651bcbab.jpg

89495e08ab65a29f3b0932d76e580a44.jpg

Gilles rearsets, risres and handlebars
from @bellissimoto

Thnx again paul
  • Like 2

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.