The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

booboobusfz07
Today i painted my footrest assembly, footrests and brake pedal. Shift pedal, heel guards and side covers are next on the list, but not today...!

kgu2rCC.jpg

8F9OVxv.jpg

What kind of paint did you use? Digging it
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
Finally got around to putting the motocage on the left side of my ride. That damn woodcraft puck was the hardest thing to wrench off. >:D:-X  Thankfully my local shop guys had the skills to remove it without stripping any bolts! I also added Driven Racing TT rearsets (set in the highest rear position setting). New set of Woodcraft Clip-Ons 1.5" (set in the down position) to accomodate the new foot ergos. A pair of Woodcraft Engine Crash Cover & Water Pump Crash Cover to keep her as pretty as possible should a lowside occur. Lastly, changed up the rim stripe graphic to stickman vinyls reflective rapid mod design. Overall, I'm super happy with how the FZ has turned out. I've def frankenstein'd her in the 4 short months I've owned it brand new lol. It doesn't even resemble a normal FZ anymore! I'd guess I could say I'm done with mods for now...until I can afford to do a full aftermarket suspension hehe. But thats pricey and will take some time to install. I can look forward to that a few months down the road perhaps.  (rofl)
So far riding with the new hand and foot controls has been an experience. The bike no longer feels like the original version. I find myself leaned way over the front more, which has been a bit more receptive with steering control. But it also makes you feel the road way more, you really gotta watch your body position if you don't want to get the tingly hands feeling from too much vibration. You feel more in a laid forward sportbike position, and I'm still getting used to the change. I have yet to hit the canyons to find out if it really does make the difference in ease of turning through chicanes and fast tight turns. The rearsets have been way comfier with fitting my Sidi race boots. The ergos are really customizable so I have them set perfectly for how I want. I haven't mis-shifted once so far, and the ball bearings are really smooth and a defineable click when you shift. The brakes feel more responsive and effective when depressing the pedal. I don't get much of the mushy stock feeling before it actually engages hard. I'll have to report back when I've taken the FZ out for a hard ride. Let you guys know how effective the new upgrades have actually been. Pics or it didnt happen below! hehe

+1 for the driven tt's, love mine[span]![/span] I havent tried the woodcraft clip ons. With my old man bunged 5th lumbar, I went with a drag bar as I was worried about a more aggressive posture. Woodcraft's seem to be the common go-to's. Might give them a shot down the road.  Whats your opinion of the level of added protection with that style cage? Worth the $$ for you? Im undecided on that one.
The bike is looking overall sharp. 8-) Stay safe out there.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

berettatrio

Went to the store to get a cover and to test out the Puig Windscreen. It did a great job moving the wind from my head to around my shoulders. I didnt feel like i was a kite about to take off. I also put on some ProGrips too.

bZgn66A.jpg

• Like 1

Updates on my lady FZ

-Painted Radiator Black - I discovered it is bent and most likely due to previous owner's drop.
-Removed Radiator Guards
-Removed Front Wheel Reflectors
-Removed Side Fender Panels
-Reorganized/rewired brake-side and PCV cabling to behind frame
-Removed Cable Organizer bracket from right side
-Installed T-Rex Case Savers 

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/5677/robs-fz-blurples-gold-lining#ixzz4CvO71r2N

FZ-1Left_zpszojno2kt.jpg

FZ-2Right_zpsqchicg3a.jpg

FZ-5Radiator1_zps3wah6oxk.jpg

• Like 3

Guest ChicagoAJ
@vroomvroom it's the genuine yamaha motocage that comes on the MT-07 Motocage model overseas. I just ordered the cage alone to add to my US FZ07.
Got a part number for blue, perhaps?

+1 for the driven tt's, love mine! I havent tried the woodcraft clip ons. With my old man bunged 5th lumbar, I went with a drag bar as I was worried about a more aggressive posture. Woodcraft's seem to be the common go-to's. Might give them a shot down the road. Whats your opinion of the level of added protection with that style cage? Worth the $$ for you? Im undecided on that one. The bike is looking overall sharp. 8-) Stay safe out there. 
The Driven TT's are awesome! Plus their headquarters is a 15min drive north of me locally. If anything should happen and I need replacement parts I can get them within the business day. I am still getting used to the woodcraft clip-ons so I can't say yet whether I really like them as an upgrade. I do feel way cooler being in a forward tuck position now, and its def way easier to go WOT without the front end picking up as much with each gear change. Now about the motocage...I'm not too sure how effective they will be in a crash. By the looks of it installed I know my bars will still touch the ground so theres going to be hand control replacements for sure. I think it'll help to displace the energy of the crash throughout the whole frame of the bike instead of just taking it on one frame slider engine mount bolt. Perhaps less overall damage to the bike rather than breaking or bending that engine mount bolt. Having added the woodcraft crash covers, it does extend the reach of protection if the bike is laid down. I'm hoping it'll keep it upright enough to slide on those rather than my handlebar ends. Also the front and rear axle sliders will hopefully prevent too much from sliding across the ground thats not protected by a slider or puck. I spent the money more for the added style of tying up the mid section area of our bike. Plus nobody i know will have an FZ with a euro motocage on it, so I'll def have a ride that stands out amongst the other FZs in SoCal. 8-)  I'm hoping the money will also be worthwhile if I do go down on the bike and the cage really works lol. I can also spend the extra money (about $125) for frame sliders that attach to the motocage ends. That would effectively add more protection distance and prob clear my handlebar ends. But thanks for the kind words! This little project bike and daily rider has been a lot of fun making her into an exceptional machine. Stay frosty out there!!  (:)):D
  • Like 2

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

@vroomvroom it's the genuine yamaha motocage that comes on the MT-07 Motocage model overseas. I just ordered the cage alone to add to my US FZ07.
1WS-F43B0-00-00

Here's the part number for the red motocage that I bought. Purchased from KFM Germany it cost me $314.86 USD at the time to have it shipped to me here in Los Angeles. I don't believe there is a blue option thats made for our bike. I do know there is a hi-viz yellow motocage that goes for the new armor grey motocage model. But no other colors besides those two for the cage to my understanding. Could be wrong tho, try scouring the web like I had to lol.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Guest ChicagoAJ
1WS-F43B0-00-00 
Here's the part number for the red motocage that I bought. Purchased from KFM Germany it cost me $314.86 USD at the time to have it shipped to me here in Los Angeles. I don't believe there is a blue option thats made for our bike. I do know there is a hi-viz yellow motocage that goes for the new armor grey motocage model. But no other colors besides those two for the cage to my understanding. Could be wrong tho, try scouring the web like I had to lol.
Wow, red and hi-viz. How ridiculous. Not even a black option?! Guess I'll have to dust off all my painting equipment. 
  • Like 1

1WS-F43B0-00-00 
Wow, red and hi-viz. How ridiculous. Not even a black option?! Guess I'll have to dust off all my painting equipment. 
Sounds like a custom color motocage is in the works? You could even vinyl wrap it with a design too, make it really pop and stand out! Hmm....hehe   8-|

It may not stand out too much cause of the dark matte finish, but up close it may look great! Do it!

• Global Moderator
1WS-F43B0-00-00 
Red and hi-viz yellow are the only colour options available for the MT-07 motocage
perhaps @higdonion could help you out...
he has 2 cages for our bike currently i believe? And is working on a stunt cage
  • Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Finally got around to putting the motocage on the left side of my ride. That damn woodcraft puck was the hardest thing to wrench off. >:D:-X  Thankfully my local shop guys had the skills to remove it without stripping any bolts! I also added Driven Racing TT rearsets (set in the highest rear position setting). New set of Woodcraft Clip-Ons 1.5" (set in the down position) to accomodate the new foot ergos. A pair of Woodcraft Engine Crash Cover & Water Pump Crash Cover to keep her as pretty as possible should a lowside occur. Lastly, changed up the rim stripe graphic to stickman vinyls reflective rapid mod design. Overall, I'm super happy with how the FZ has turned out. I've def frankenstein'd her in the 4 short months I've owned it brand new lol. It doesn't even resemble a normal FZ anymore! I'd guess I could say I'm done with mods for now...until I can afford to do a full aftermarket suspension hehe. But thats pricey and will take some time to install. I can look forward to that a few months down the road perhaps.  (rofl)
So far riding with the new hand and foot controls has been an experience. The bike no longer feels like the original version. I find myself leaned way over the front more, which has been a bit more receptive with steering control. But it also makes you feel the road way more, you really gotta watch your body position if you don't want to get the tingly hands feeling from too much vibration. You feel more in a laid forward sportbike position, and I'm still getting used to the change. I have yet to hit the canyons to find out if it really does make the difference in ease of turning through chicanes and fast tight turns. The rearsets have been way comfier with fitting my Sidi race boots. The ergos are really customizable so I have them set perfectly for how I want. I haven't mis-shifted once so far, and the ball bearings are really smooth and a defineable click when you shift. The brakes feel more responsive and effective when depressing the pedal. I don't get much of the mushy stock feeling before it actually engages hard. I'll have to report back when I've taken the FZ out for a hard ride. Let you guys know how effective the new upgrades have actually been. Pics or it didnt happen below! hehe

r1wt41.jpg

14wu4x0.jpg

23si4ub.jpg

1978du.jpg

16k9afb.jpg

That cage is so sick. Might be my next purchase.
  • Like 2

Today i painted my footrest assembly, footrests and brake pedal. Shift pedal, heel guards and side covers are next on the list, but not today...!

What kind of paint did you use? Digging it
I used a can of Rustoleum topcoat flat black 2178. The finish looked pretty good given the circumstances :-)

kgu2rCC.jpg

8F9OVxv.jpg

Looks good. Do you think the other things will need a clear coat?

Beemer

I think the heel plates would benefit from a layer of clear coat because of all the wear and tear, but since all the other black stuff on the bike is matte I´m going to give it a try without first.
If you don´t want to paint the stock ones I found out that you can get the heel plates for the XSR700, they are factory black and fits the FZ07!
I don´t have the part number, but I checked the price at my local Yamaha dealer.. Converted to USD they cost about $75 in Norway, probably cheaper in the US :-)
  • Like 1

I think the heel plates would benefit from a layer of clear coat because of all the wear and tear, but since all the other black stuff on the bike is matte I´m going to give it a try without first. If you don´t want to paint the stock ones I found out that you can get the heel plates for the XSR700, they are factory black and fits the FZ07!
I don´t have the part number, but I checked the price at my local Yamaha dealer.. Converted to USD they cost about $75 in Norway, probably cheaper in the US :-)
Yeah, that wear & tear. Cool, thanks for the info on the plates! 

Beemer

• Premium Member
How is the Scrambler?   Have some Pics? 

I rode it! I couldn't wait for the my scheduled maintenance appointment anymore. Dealership has me waiting until next week... Might be a 24K maintenance instead of a 20K by then.  
On another note, I'll be riding it for the next 2 weeks since the scrambler is getting a couple things painted.

There's nothing better than getting back on the bike after a bit and feeling so much love for it. I love this thing. It always feels so good to ride it.

I'll be more than happy to share pics once it comes back from paint. I can share those as well as update my thoughts on it since I've gotten it on its thread. 
  • Like 2

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Noticed my throttle tube sticks to the handlebar if pressure is applied. I took apart the cable housing on the bar and the R6 tube itself sticks even when the bar end and cables are removed from the tube.

I noticed some lube/grease on the stock tube but I've read you're really not supposed to lube them... It twists fine and always snaps back. Guess I'll clean the handlebar and inside of the tube to get any residual grease from the stock setup.

• Global Moderator
Noticed my throttle tube sticks to the handlebar if pressure is applied. I took apart the cable housing on the bar and the R6 tube itself sticks even when the bar end and cables are removed from the tube.  
I noticed some lube/grease on the stock tube but I've read you're really not supposed to lube them... It twists fine and always snaps back. Guess I'll clean the handlebar and inside of the tube to get any residual grease from the stock setup.
You have 2 options for lubing up the throttle tube...
graphite lube(dry)... or white lithium soap grease(wet) .

Im gonna double check the service manual for their recs

Guest ChicagoAJ
You have 2 options for lubing up the throttle tube... graphite lube(dry)... or white lithium soap grease(wet) .

I think the manual said lithium. I may try a thin coating of that, seems to work well on my levers. 

• Global Moderator
You have 2 options for lubing up the throttle tube... graphite lube(dry)... or white lithium soap grease(wet) .

I think the manual said lithium. I may try a thin coating of that, seems to work well on my levers. 
Yep... lithium soap grease
thicker paste style would probably be best

motor oil apparantly for the cable runs

Guest ChicagoAJ
Yep... lithium soap grease thicker paste style would probably be best

Yup, luckily I have a giant tube of the lithium grease. I just can't see how it would last when the tube itself is semi-exposed on the bar-end side. Seems like it would get awfully dusty real quick. In 10,000 miles on my last CBR I never once had to lube or clean the throttle tube. I think I might try cleaning it off and leaving it without lube - it's not like the handlebar/tube don't have a ton of free space to begin with, I don't see why any grease is even necessary. 

• Global Moderator
Yep... lithium soap grease thicker paste style would probably be best

Yup, luckily I have a giant tube of the lithium grease. I just can't see how it would last when the tube itself is semi-exposed on the bar-end side. Seems like it would get awfully dusty real quick. In 10,000 miles on my last CBR I never once had to lube or clean the throttle tube. I think I might try cleaning it off and leaving it without lube - it's not like the handlebar/tube don't have a ton of free space to begin with, I don't see why any grease is even necessary. 
when i swaped over to the R6 tube...I used the lithium on the main contact points inside the cable/cam housing and a smeared a bit on the bars themselves before installing the tube.
my throttle was adjusted so that with almost my full weight on the right side of the bar the grip would just lovingly touch my bar end sliders

I plan on putting a small plaatic washer/spacer between the two this time around

Guest ChicagoAJ
when i swaped over to the R6 tube...I used the lithium on the main contact points inside the cable/cam housing and a smeared a bit on the bars themselves before installing the tube. my throttle was adjusted so that with almost my full weight on the right side of the bar the grip wouldnt touch my bar end sliders

I plan on putting a small plaatic washer/spacer between the two this time around
I left a good 1/8 inch between the bar-end and the grip so it had some room to shimmy back and forth. I don't mind the slop and I believe it gives me a little room so it won't get stuck unexpectedly by the grip/bar-end.  
I'm just annoyed at this though; if I put my weight onto the tube during a hard stop, then release everything, the tube makes an audible click when I go to take off again like it's suctioned itself to the bars. I'm sure it's just grease in there from the factory tube because I didn't clean it when swapping tubes. Oh well, I'll get to it someday. Tomorrow I ship off my ECU to 2WDW - so maybe when I put that back in. 

thomascrown
219465d58480a1c32a46a39cb17a00c6.jpgdef48e0c134fda3b04febec5a330bad9.jpga4b4324cff9ae8f3e301e55f6a6992be.jpg

I've been at it for a couple weeks now. Fz1 bars, Bridgestone S21s, Wilbers 640 rear shock with 25mm increase in ride height, traxxion damper rod kit. Tomorrow I will tackle the brakes, fjr1300 oem brake pads, spiegler lines, xsr900 levers.