The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Premium Member

Did a camping/riding trip to the Three Sisters and Two Brothers in Texas Hill Country. It was an intense ride down (we got lost, made it a 700mi ride) and a great ride/exploration around the three sisters on Friday. Sadly, it ended with my buddy crashing on literally the only turn on FM336 that the outside of the corner wasn't a cliff face. He's fine, just a broken clavicle, bruised ego, and the bike just needs plastics. It could have been muuuuuch much worse.

Picture dump commence!

5BN6Y1k.jpg
2bPV6ED.jpg
OoZzZ5r.jpg
578M71x.jpg
8E0U0dA.jpg
LXHpJNY.jpg
65keHpX.jpg
QX108HX.jpg
BA3vjrG.jpg
yIlXSxN.jpg
2hCp0uu.jpg
yCr2mRs.jpg
ygatEtQ.jpg
uFcQIAA.jpg
swa5AUN.jpg
DOOL5Ld.jpg
kDzaizc.jpg
xb9TWjp.jpg
9jLwOmn.jpg
i4SpAPj.jpg
3YQzIOA.jpg
sVsh6KS.jpg
SRXzlSF.jpg
a7iyqhz.jpg
QbRFxTV.jpg
PgVYeu1.jpg
vDb4VDJ.jpg
Wlua1kE.jpg
Y4Z3R08.jpg
zNM0lv8.jpg
3cOkKME.jpg
NoAT8AC.jpg
Uv31ntD.jpg

All in all, even with the trip being cut short, we covered about 1400 miles in two days. We had planned on our third day of picking three sections of the sisters and setting up cameras along them, obviously we didn't get to that.

In a way, I was kind of glad that he wrecked because it saved us from the 8hr(with no stops) ride that we had planned on the way back -- it would have been brutal, but we would have got it done.

• Like 7

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

I have been enjoying things vicariously. Had shoulder surgery on 5/4, going to cut into my riding season. Hopefully well enough to ride in 6-8 weeks. I did start it up a couple days ago. vrooooooooom

• Like 2

martyinaustin

May 15, 2017 16:30:26 GMT -5 KamelReds said:
Did a camping/riding trip to the Three Sisters and Two Brothers in Texas Hill Country. It was an intense ride down (we got lost, made it a 700mi ride) and a great ride/exploration around the three sisters on Friday. Sadly, it ended with my buddy crashing on literally the only turn on FM336 that the outside of the corner wasn't a cliff face. He's fine, just a broken clavicle, bruised ego, and the bike just needs plastics. It could have been muuuuuch much worse.

glad your friend is ok. i know too well that bike in a pile look. anyway, forgive my ignorance, but what is "Two Brothers"???

thanks,
marty

• Like 1

• Premium Member
May 15, 2017 16:30:26 GMT -5 KamelReds said: Did a camping/riding trip to the Three Sisters and Two Brothers in Texas Hill Country. It was an intense ride down (we got lost, made it a 700mi ride) and a great ride/exploration around the three sisters on Friday. Sadly, it ended with my buddy crashing on literally the only turn on FM336 that the outside of the corner wasn't a cliff face. He's fine, just a broken clavicle, bruised ego, and the bike just needs plastics. It could have been muuuuuch much worse.

glad your friend is ok. i know too well that bike in a pile look. anyway, forgive my ignorance, but what is "Two Brothers"???

thanks,
marty

Thanks! Yeah, unfortunately it's not a first for me either. I didn't know about the two brothers until I was down there, but it's a section of roads west of the three sisters -- it includes fm674(great road, crazy amounts of wildlife), fm334, and sh55 to bring the two together.

We camped at Kickapoo caverns which is on 674 and basically got to ride the two brothers everyday. Absolutely fantastic ride.

Also, if you haven't rode it, check out sh39. I have officially dubbed it wildflower highway -- it is absolutely beautiful! Not too technical of a ride, wildflowers everywhere, and it follows the Guadeloupe south fork. I think it's actual name is Texas Hill Country Trail.
  • Like 1

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

• Global Moderator
Installed new grips and amazon "windscreen" today. Looking in to seat options. My butt is SORE!
What windscreen and grips did you choose?   Do you have pictures?   Enquiring minds want to know :)

• Premium Member

Adjusted drive chain slack, lubricated it, and determined a new chain and sprocket set are in my future :(

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

• Global Moderator
Adjusted drive chain slack, lubricated it, and determined a new chain and sprocket set are in my future :(
why is that? 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Installed the new Akrapovič titanium exhaust with the carbon tip. Needless to say it's amazing.

20170515_145255.jpg

• Like 5

Installed new grips and amazon "windscreen" today. Looking in to seat options. My butt is SORE!
You get used to it lol

• Premium Member
why is that? 

A few kinked links, sprockets are a little worn. It's at 12,000 miles. I'm guessing it'll need a new set before 16k or so.

Bought a set of Pirelli Angel GT's! Along with some brakes and an alarm system. Adjusted/lubed the chain and another oil change. Cleaned out the front sprocket for the 1st time,... holy mother of dirt, grim, and gunk all over! Yea it definitely needs cleaned more often then every 18,000 miles! I slacked a bit on that one..

• Like 1

why is that? 

A few kinked links, sprockets are a little worn. It's at 12,000 miles. I'm guessing it'll need a new set before 16k or so.
I have 18,000+ miles on my stock chain and sprockets. I really thought I would be needing to replace them but they look to be in good condition. No clue how many more miles I will get out of them, but I had no idea they'd last this long.

"In a way, I was kind of glad that he wrecked because it saved us from the 8hr(with no stops) ride that we had planned on the way back -- it would have been brutal, but we would have got it done."

I'm all for enthusiasm but even years ago as a young, strong bladdered, young boy, I couldn't have stayed in a swimming pool all day without peeing in it. That would take some extreme will power. 

Beemer

martyinaustin

hey KamelReds..thanks for the info!!! let me know if/when you're bombing through the Austin area!

m.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
I have 18,000+ miles on my stock chain and sprockets. I really thought I would be needing to replace them but they look to be in good condition. No clue how many more miles I will get out of them, but I had no idea they'd last this long.
Yeah the sprockets look fine but the kinks make me nervous like it might snap or something, idk. Would feel better with a new, better chain on there when it comes time. Probably will tie it in with my next oil change circa 15k.
  • Like 1

Of all the money spent on the bike, the ECU flash from @2wheeldynoworks was by far the most dramatic improvement - I should have done this mod first! Thanks guys!

PS - back to Canada in 5 business days, these guys don't mess around

• Like 3

• Global Moderator
Bought one ?541c71d3cb2932bd2f60509f866136e8.jpg
woots
  • Like 2

• Global Moderator

I stared at mine a bit.... took off the swing-arm plates about 2 weeks ago to measure/model/machine new ones...
got started and realized one of them was cracked... just a hairline fracture but mustve been from when i laid it down last year.
oh well... still pressing on... looking to have a prototype of the new plates here soon enough....

oh, and i need projects to hone my SW skills... if anyone wants to dimension out parts from their bike... id love to make a functioning model of the fz-07 that sims can then be run on

• Like 2

@sorkyah you have an articulated IR/camera-based reverse-modeler?

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

martyinaustin
Bought one ?541c71d3cb2932bd2f60509f866136e8.jpg
welcome to the brother/sisterhood of the tennisball wheels!  i shit you not it does help cars see you!  stay frosty!!