The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

I got the suspension better and went for a 100 mile test ride - the rain stopped for a moment and warm air came in and dried the roads. More rain coming soon, though. Suspension review elsewhere.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
botticelli

New bars, steering stabilizer, grips, crg mirrors, and an R6 throttle tube

Took it all to palomar this weekend for a proper break in.

Love it all but IMO the steering stabilizer is not warranted and really makes the FZ handle worse. It does help on the freeway with wind and wobble at speed, if its turned up higher.

After a few runs I just left it set to 0 for the twisty stuff.

~Pete

2017_06_03_12_21_33.jpg

2017_06_03_13_30_08.jpg

2017_06_03_13_56_41.jpg

2017_06_03_15_08_47.jpg

facebook photos upload

• Like 3

'16 FZ07

Love it all but IMO the steering stabilizer is not warranted and really makes the FZ handle worse. It does help on the freeway with wind and wobble at speed, if its turned up higher.

~Pete

2017_06_03_12_21_33.jpg

2017_06_03_13_30_08.jpg

2017_06_03_13_56_41.jpg

2017_06_03_15_08_47.jpg

facebook photos upload

Nice! I took mine to Palomar for the first time on Memorial Day. 

Mine was picked up by Galfer for R&D. they are working on creating lines for the FZ-07. I think I'm going to go with the GP kit, pending how well it turns out. It will be split at the master cylinder and they'll run one line down to each caliper. Excited to get it back hopefully this week!

Had a huge nail in my tire the other day, . It did not go flat until I was home but apparently it actually spun around and ruined the bead of the tire, Although after patching it held air, it just wasn't safe in my opinion to ride at high speed a 50 degree lean angles so...Broke down and ordered tires, METZELER SPORTEC M7RRs. just don't feel safe riding at speed on a rear tire with 2 patches and a compromised bead wall. (ripped in half)I was going to get cheaper ones but the price difference was only 60 dollars from Metzeler Z8s to the M7 RRs. I hope they last a good long time!
I'm going to get a good patch kit and some co2 inflater cartridges, and a word to all, check your tires at every stop. I'm not a fan of that liquid goop stuff for various reasons, and not sure it would have saved mu tire or not as the tire did not deflate noticeably until I got home and let it sit for 3 hours.

IMG_20170602_105221.jpg

IMG_20170602_105331.jpg

18948977_1496959957021589_2113529119_o.jpg

• Like 1

Steering damper is there to prevent tank slappers, but these generally only tend to appear at speeds well above what can be considered even remotely prudent on public roads. Other than that the friction makes the bike act as if the steering stem is tightened too much, making it difficult to travel in a straight line at lover speeds.

Steering damper is there to prevent tank slappers, but these generally only tend to appear at speeds well above what can be considered even remotely prudent on public roads. Other than that the friction makes the bike act as if the steering stem is tightened too much, making it difficult to travel in a straight line at lover speeds.
The perpetual "weave". I hate that feeling. And yeah, it's exactly what happens when the stem bearing is adjusted too tight. A switch to tapered roller bearings instead of the OE ball/cage bearing can result in the same feeling 

~Pete

2017_06_03_12_21_33.jpg

2017_06_03_13_30_08.jpg

2017_06_03_13_56_41.jpg

2017_06_03_15_08_47.jpg

facebook photos upload

I'm eyeing some Renthal bars myself. Trying to decide between low or super low style. How was the install process for you?

• Premium Member
The perpetual "weave". I hate that feeling. And yeah, it's exactly what happens when the stem bearing is adjusted too tight. A switch to tapered roller bearings instead of the OE ball/cage bearing can result in the same feeling 

I can't even tell my custom Ohlins linear damper is there at slow speeds. But something has made my bike very stable at high speeds on windy days. It could also be the new suspension and, or the new front down force.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
botticelli

Install was a breeze, used the garden snakes video here:

~Pete

2017_06_03_12_21_33.jpg

2017_06_03_13_30_08.jpg

2017_06_03_13_56_41.jpg

2017_06_03_15_08_47.jpg

facebook photos upload

I'm eyeing some Renthal bars myself. Trying to decide between low or super low style. How was the install process for you?

• Like 2

'16 FZ07

Patched my tire. No need to buy new.. Metz roadtec 01  

Your lucky just a simple puncture, I had one of these previously, But I do hope you had it properly vulcanized after the temporary plug, (if that's what I see in the picture). As I said the nail somehow spun around in the tire and chewed out half of the bead wall in one spot. bad luck for me...

hosting photo

Got it inspected today. It's silly that bikes only carry a one year inspection/registration when brand new.

• Premium Member

Tossed on @sorkyah 's old cyclops bulb. :D
Thanks, buddy.

Haven't seen it on the road yet so I can't comment on the major differences between it and the Osram Night Racer 110 that I was running before(which was still much better than stock and I was pretty happy with it).

Osram on the left, cyclops LED on the right:
image1.png

Also, I was wondering why Osram bulbs aren't sold in the USA. Turns out Sylvania is the US Osram brand. So they just brand the bulbs under "Sylvania" here.

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
Tossed on @sorkyah 's old cyclops bulb. :D Thanks, buddy.

Haven't seen it on the road yet so I can't comment on the major differences between it and the Osram Night Racer 110 that I was running before(which was still much better than stock and I was pretty happy with it).

Osram on the left, cyclops LED on the right:
image1.png

Also, I was wondering why Osram bulbs aren't sold in the USA. Turns out Sylvania is the US Osram brand. So they just brand the bulbs under "Sylvania" here.

Glad your liking it,  Did you install the large spacer as well? That helps a bit with cutoff and mitigating extra shadows

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Glad your liking it,  Did you install the large spacer as well? That helps a bit with cutoff and mitigating extra shadows
Not yet. Just installed the bulb last night after my ride. Haven't had a chance to see it on the road. If the cutoff/shadows bug me enough then I will afterwards. 

Speaking of headlights, I find the high beam pointing almost too high, while low beam barely reaches past the front wheel. Weird light.

Speaking of headlights, I find the high beam pointing almost too high, while low beam barely reaches past the front wheel. Weird light.
I just have the stock light bulb, and I adjusted my low beam up, so that it actually shows stuff out in front of me. It's actually a useful distance now. But of course that makes the high beam shine up in the treetops. >:D  I use the low beam more often, though so I'm just dealing with it.  
I just adjusted with trial and error. Couple clicks, go ride, swear, couple more clicks, go ride, swear again, repeat. (rofl)  

• Like 1

Patched my tire. No need to buy new.. Metz roadtec 01  

Your lucky just a simple puncture, I had one of these previously, But I do hope you had it properly vulcanized after the temporary plug, (if that's what I see in the picture). As I said the nail somehow spun around in the tire and chewed out half of the bead wall in one spot. bad luck for me...

hosting photo

Nope normal plug and will ride it till the tire wears out. did it with my last tire also 10000km with nail in tire then another 8k of hard riding with the plug in. no need to worry 

I've had the bike for a year and the fiancée hasn't been excited about the fact that I've been riding. We've been married for two weeks and today she agreed to go for a ride. We did over 50mi of highway and back roads two-up. She even said it was kind of fun, although the back seat was quite uncomfortable for her.
Second picture shows her laughing at me as I explain to her that I was taking pictures of cats for the riding game.

de31835b1e3d07284df6b4c57d9070fc.jpg

efbce90f61e7f1516ecb4a6f23feef9e.jpg

• Like 5

I practiced garage freestyle

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Congrats on your fresh marriage. If you want your wife to be a regular passenger, do consider a motorcycle made for that purpose. And please wear some protective gear - it hurts just looking at the pictures. Even though you may be in control, you do not have the road to yourself.

• Like 3