The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

52 minutes ago, nk3371 said:

Today, I did this to my speedometer.😘

24131302_10214636115119492_9026540497494918355_n.thumb.jpg.3c7b997b40a23eab3b6c1821faf7c749.jpg

Inspired by the MT09SP's speedometer.

How did you manage that? I really like that look. Is that a factory feature? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

How did you manage that? I really like that look. Is that a factory feature? 

There's an old trick called reverse polarize.

You can google it and there's a lot of people shared tutorials on how to do it.

The most tricky part of doing this is removing the old polarizer film. The glue is so strong and it takes me almost an hour to peel it of with a razor blade.

Had to be very careful as I don't want to crack the thin glass panel of the speedometer.

Also I had to clean the glue residue leaved behind by the old polarizer film.

Applying new film is a matter of aligning it up so that the display turns negative.

Edited by nk3371
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2017 at 1:16 AM, Bigturbomax said:

I tilted my windscreen forward a bit and relocated my speedo. What a difference!

Could you provide us with a couple more close-ups?

Looks interesting.

2 hours ago, nk3371 said:

The most tricky part of doing this is removing the old polarizer film. The glue is so strong and it takes me almost an hour to peel it of with a razor blade.

Had to be very careful as I don't want to crack the thin glass panel of the speedometer.

Applying new film is a matter of aligning it up so that the display turns negative.

That's awesome! If you get a ticket for speeding you can legitimately tell the officer it was a negative 130 mph or whatever. 🙃

• Haha 3

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
3 hours ago, nk3371 said:

24131302_10214636115119492_9026540497494918355_n.thumb.jpg.3c7b997b40a23eab3b6c1821faf7c749.jpg

Is this setup as easy on the eyes and as easy to read as it appears in the photo?  How does it perform in bright light, at night etc?  I just might have to try this.

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

18 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

Is this setup as easy on the eyes and as easy to read as it appears in the photo?  How does it perform in bright light, at night etc?  I just might have to try this.

In bright daylight it looks like this.

P_20171201_114128-03.jpeg.04b343612a7b166ebbe692e040595be8.jpeg

Still easy to read while riding. I can read the clock no problem under any conditions.

If your speedometer is still in it's original place at the handle bar, you'll have no problem at all.

At night it perfom the best. The speedometer is no longer too bright to the eyes when riding in a totally dark places.

Before, I had to reduce the brightness to level 1 if I'm going to ride to rural places where you rarely find road lights.

Edited by nk3371
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pulled my ECU and shipped it off to 2WDW, can't wait to see what difference the flash makes!

While I was in there I also pulled off my intake snorkel, checked my clutch free-play, and checked my chain tension. 

Now unfortunately I have to let the bike sit for a week while I wait for the ECU...

• Like 2

When I bought my bike, I bought the Yamaha OEM heated grips.  They were on backorder at the time.  I got the call yesterday that they were in, so I was at the dealer at 8am today.  It was ~40 out when I left the house.  The only part of me that was cold was my fingers.  They are now installed and look and work well.  Dealer suggested I go park for the day to let the glue set, so I did.  I also installed my mirror extensions too.

gripext.jpg

• Like 3

All looks good!  Where did you find the rad guard & mirror extenders?  Are there install instructions for the grips you can post?

Edited by wrxer

52 minutes ago, wrxer said:

All looks good!  Where did you find the rad guard & mirror extenders?  Are there install instructions for the grips you can post?

Thanks Wrxer!  I got the radiator guard here:  http://a.co/8FueeGx.  I got lucky and caught it on Lightning Deal a few weeks back for ~$25

The mirror extenders are here:  http://a.co/atgtyJN

I'd be willing to bet both of these could be had for less on Ebay if you are willing to wait for shipping from China.

I got the grips/installation from the Dealer as part of my bike purchase, so they performed the installation.  I didn't think to ask for any paperwork in the package.  I recently found some documentation posted on another forum with some pictogram type instructions here:  https://tinyurl.com/yal8bdau

I think the grips were ~$110.

Edited by VertigoTX
ebay comment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2017 at 6:25 AM, nk3371 said:

This looks great!

• Like 1

Just a reminder to others that may be interested, you can pick up that radiator guard off of banggood for ~$18 if you wanted to save some money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/3/2017 at 12:19 AM, br4nd0n said:

Just a reminder to others that may be interested, you can pick up that radiator guard off of banggood for ~$18 if you wanted to save some money.

Thanks a bunch! I just ordered one. Looks like it's being shipped from China so I'm guessing I'll have to wait a couple weeks for it to arrive but no biggie, I've went 2 1/2 yrs. without one. Should look good on the bike.

A special thanks to VertigoTX for bringing attention to the radiator guard first. I just noticed on their site it takes 7 - 20 business days to arrive. I bet they don't take more than a 10 days.

• Like 1

Beemer

13 hours ago, br4nd0n said:

The description says it doesn't come with hardware or bolts. Anyone know how to mount it?

27 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

The description says it doesn't come with hardware or bolts. Anyone know how to mount it?

Remove the plastic covers on the end of the radiator using a hex wrench.  You then mount it with the covers, and reuse the factory bolts.  It will makes sense when you do it.

Edited by VertigoTX
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, VertigoTX said:

Remove the plastic covers on the end of the radiator using a hex wrench.  You then mount it with the covers, and reuse the factory bolts.  It will makes sense when you do it.

You can also run it without the side plastics if you wanted a slimmer look. All you need is to keep the bolts and threaded inserts.

Didn't do anything to the bike today, but did get to test out what I did yesterday.

Mirror extensions work really well, and I feel the mirrors are useful now.

Grips get pretty warm, but I can't tell a difference between high and low.  I suspect they didn't configure them for a large CC bike, so I will program that before my next ride.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 8:26 AM, nk3371 said:

Can you still accomplish this by just applying the polarizing filter over the top of the unit? I'm not sure how overlapping filters interact.

35 minutes ago, br4nd0n said:

Can you still accomplish this by just applying the polarizing filter over the top of the unit? I'm not sure how overlapping filters interact.

No you can't.

It'll turn totally black.