The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

8 hours ago, DewMan said:

Please take some video of it in full sun from a distance. Or I can get some footage on our next ride. :D I've been thinking of getting one also but to use in parallel with the LED powered pumpkins. Holler if I can be of any assistance installing it. I've already taken mine apart that far before. 👍

I wouldn't mind a little assistance for that. It came with resistors and I've never messed with them. I imagine they aren't hard to do but if you've done them before the job will go faster/smoother. I'll even throw in all the Dew your tummy desires. 😍

Beemer

12 hours ago, Beemer said:

shinyribs

Good to see you're giving it a go on your own. A couple questions if you don't mind. What size staples are you using and is that the same kind of foam used in the factory seat?

Beemer, they are T50 staples with a 5/16" depth. Or, 8mm for our heathen brethren across the pond. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Beemer, they are T50 staples with a 5/16" depth. Or, 8mm for our heathen brethren across the pond. 

Cool, what psi did you use, around 80 or so? More? I've been thinking about an tan emu skin seat cover for a long time now and the itch just won't go away. I don't have a staple gun but that can be remedied and these things would be nice to know in case I do jump.

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

I wouldn't mind a little assistance for that. It came with resistors and I've never messed with them. I imagine they aren't hard to do but if you've done them before the job will go faster/smoother. I'll even throw in all the Dew your tummy desires. 1f60d.png

Save yourself some time and frustration. Get a LED turn signal relay. No resistors to fight with. Much clearer install. Well worth the $8-12! 👍👍

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, mick97702 said:

Save yourself some time and frustration. Get a LED turn signal relay. No resistors to fight with. Much clearer install. Well worth the $8-12! 👍👍

I was going to ask @Beemer if he wasn't already running one since he's running LED turn signals already. But yes, the $10-12  relay is definitely less hassle. We'll get it worked out one way or the other. :)

Edited by DewMan
  • Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

27 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Cool, what psi did you use, around 80 or so? More? I've been thinking about an tan emu skin seat cover for a long time now and the itch just won't go away. I don't have a staple gun but that can be remedied and these things would be nice to know in case I do jump.

I used a Harbor freight gun. It works fine if you keep the pressure up. It'll drive the staples just fine at 30'ish psi, but it won't retract properly to grab the next staple. 60 psi seems to work well and doesn't over-drive the staples. For $23, I'm not complaining. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I used a Harbor freight gun. It works fine if you keep the pressure up. It'll drive the staples just fine at 30'ish psi, but it won't retract properly to grab the next staple. 60 psi seems to work well and doesn't over-drive the staples. For $23, I'm not complaining. 

Yep, that's the gun I used.

HB has 2 upholstery staplers that are about the same price. . Make sure you get the one that fires T50s (one does not) and find a 20% off coupon  https://www.harborfreight.com/20-gauge-wide-crown-stapler-68029.html

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mick97702 said:

Thanks! I'm seeing 2 prong, 3 prong, 5 prong. Which one should I get or which one did you get? Got a link? Thanks!

Beemer

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Thanks! I'm seeing 2 prong, 3 prong, 5 prong. Which one should I get?

Here's the one I bought from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T3AF7W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's two wire. There are some with a dial on them available which allows you to adjust the flash rate but they're a bit more expensive.

Edited by DewMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Did the throttle body sync yesterday.  Used some long angled needle nose pliers to get in to the brass nipples so I didn't have to take the whole bike apart.  I also made a couple of angled flat head screw drivers from an old hack saw blade.  They worked ok, but kept breaking, so I ended up using a 90 degree driver attachment.  The driver attachment was a bit bulky and scratched the top of the plastic at the opening to access the adjustment screw.  Oh. well.  The scratches aren't that bad or noticeable and it was a fair trade to not have to take the bike apart.  Got the sync to within 0.25kPa, so I'm happy with that.  It was initially off by ~3kpa, so quite a bit out of spec in my opinion, though I'm not sure what is "normal".  Also got the 5d--14 error code or something like that?  Just added zip ties to the tubing where it attached to the brass nipples and to the manometer and everything worked out just fine.

• Like 1

Zephyr, that 5D is actually SD for "Self Diagnostic". So you got code 14, which Google says is air intake pressure sensor. 

Pretty sure that code just flashed up due to you having that hose disconnected while you were synching things up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beemer said:

Thanks! I'm seeing 2 prong, 3 prong, 5 prong. Which one should I get or which one did you get? Got a link? Thanks!

This is the one I used. The price was a  little lower because I bought a few other items at the same time. I like the fact you can customize the flash rate. Literally took longer to get the plastic off than it did to swap. I'm sure there are others out there though.

httpstindustries.com/TST-LED-Flasher-Relay-Gen2.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Zephyr, that 5D is actually SD for "Self Diagnostic". So you got code 14, which Google says is air intake pressure sensor. 

Pretty sure that code just flashed up due to you having that hose disconnected while you were synching things up. 

Yes.  That's what I found, hence adding the zip ties to the hoses to ensure that there was no leakage for the sync.  Thanks for checking into that.

Stuck on some new shoes today. 

K9dz0G7.jpg

The stock 023's were done for at 4k miles. No clue how some guys are claiming 8k, 10k or even 12k miles on those tires. They must never touch the throttle. 

• Global Moderator
5 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Stuck on some new shoes today. 

K9dz0G7.jpg

The stock 023's were done for at 4k miles. No clue how some guys are claiming 8k, 10k or even 12k miles on those tires. They must never touch the throttle. 

I have over 14,000 miles on mine.  I guess I am just easy on tires.  What type of the did you go with?  It is hard to tell from the photo.  

I got 10k out of the rear P3, including a few trackdays. The front is still ok at 12k, the profile is a little off and I'll probably replace it in spring. P4's feel better but don't last as long.

Wow, I wish I could get mileage like you guys! The rear tire did well using it's dual compounds as the sides wore out before the center. But the front did the same thing. Tons of tread left on the front tire in the center, but the sides wore away and created a profile that made the bike real tippy. I'll keep it around as a spare. 

mjh937, the new tires are Conti Motions. $167 for the pair. They come with a roadside  assistance program for free. Three year flat tire change or towing up to 150 miles. They pay up to $200 per tire change. I don't expect them to last through the summer, let alone three years (!), but that's an incredible feature on a sub $200 pair of tires!

http://www.continentaltire.com/warranty

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2

Not today but on 20 January 2018 I passed 3,000 miles (4,828KM) on my FZ-07 all since picking it up from the dealer on 2 November 2017.

• Like 1

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

Snowing today, but I took the Conti Motions out for their first ride yesterday. For a "cheap" tire I'm very impressed. Especially since I had no high hopes for these tires. They were meant to be my cheap tires to wear out until spring showed up.  I went about 120 miles. It was 32°f when I took off and reached a high of 35°f. After a quick scrub I was dragging pegs within 50 miles. Definitely not slippery in the cold and I doubt they ever even got warm all day yesterday. Still holding about 3/8" worth of chicken strip, but the backroads are littered with winter gravel, so I can't run too hard yet. I'm not trying to "review" these tires so soon but they're solid tires. Anxious to see what longevity/rain manners will be. Three interesting points, though. 

1: They roll so smooth. They absorb small impacts nicely and have made the bike noticably more comfortable on rough roads. 

2: I put my typical sport bike tire pressure in these and ignored the suggestion on the swingarm. 36psi front, 42 rear. The odd wiggliness in the fork ( that never felt like a damping issue) that had me considering Cogent valves is now gone. I don't agree with the very low tire pressure that Yamaha recommends on these bikes, unless maybe you only commute in town and are seeking maximum comfort. 

3: Not sure if this is even possible, but the brakes feel considerably more responsive through these tires. So much so that it surprised me. I know that sounds far fetched. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2018 at 12:19 PM, shinyribs said:

Snowing today, but I took the Conti Motions out for their first ride yesterday. For a "cheap" tire I'm very impressed. Especially since I had no high hopes for these tires. They were meant to be my cheap tires to wear out until spring showed up.  I went about 120 miles. It was 32°f when I took off and reached a high of 35°f. After a quick scrub I was dragging pegs within 50 miles. Definitely not slippery in the cold and I doubt they ever even got warm all day yesterday. Still holding about 3/8" worth of chicken strip, but the backroads are littered with winter gravel, so I can't run too hard yet. I'm not trying to "review" these tires so soon but they're solid tires. Anxious to see what longevity/rain manners will be. Three interesting points, though. 

1: They roll so smooth. They absorb small impacts nicely and have made the bike noticably more comfortable on rough roads. 

2: I put my typical sport bike tire pressure in these and ignored the suggestion on the swingarm. 36psi front, 42 rear. The odd wiggliness in the fork ( that never felt like a damping issue) that had me considering Cogent valves is now gone. I don't agree with the very low tire pressure that Yamaha recommends on these bikes, unless maybe you only commute in town and are seeking maximum comfort. 

3: Not sure if this is even possible, but the brakes feel considerably more responsive through these tires. So much so that it surprised me. I know that sounds far fetched. 

If the tire weighs less, it is entirely possible for the brakes to feel different, especially since it sounds like you aren't exactly light on the brakes

Dat's a lot of pressure for this little bike with big bike tires.

Recommended pressure for my Futura is 36F and 40 rear and that bike has a 530 lb wet wt with the panniers in place and 5.5 gallons of fuel in the tub (nylon gas tank) 

3 hours ago, rick said:

Dat's a lot of pressure for this little bike with big bike tires.

Possibly, but I'm not sure. I mean, we're only a few pounds lighter than a CBR 600 RR (15lbs difference iirc). I don't think those guys run low pressure based on bike weight.  I'm sure the low pressures Yamaha recommends will hold the bike up, but I'm not sure it's enough pressure to keep the tire from deforming under hard cornering. At least it feels that way to me. But I'm no tire engineer! 

I do plan to drop my pressures back to stock to see if the difference im feeling is tire pressure or the different tires. You never know until you actually look, right? 

Edited by shinyribs

I always thought the same thing my cbr was suppose have 36 front 40 rear.

would it be harmful to the fz to run thatpressure on the stock tires?

Finally installed the r6 throttle. Haven’t rode with it but it seems to be working fine. This is what the cable slack look like after the installation 

67AD2E35-C747-400F-85C7-3FB87B83513A.jpeg

• Like 1