The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

1 hour ago, phanomenal07 said:

I always thought the same thing my cbr was suppose have 36 front 40 rear.

would it be harmful to the fz to run thatpressure on the stock tires?

I can't see how it would harm the bike, but I'd definitely check the max PSI listed on the side wall of the tire, though. 

I had another thought about this a while ago. I'm 240 lbs geared up. I am often carrying another 20-40 lbs on the bike depending on what errands I'm running. Hell, I brought home a 45lb safe on the luggage rack the other weekend, and the saddlebags/ tail bag were also loaded with groceries, tools, etc. 

If Yamaha think this 385lb bike needs less tire pressure than the R6, then what about a 240lb rider on a FZ07 vs. a 160lb rider on a R6? Hmm...

Strictly my opinion, I think sport bike tires need a certain amount of pressure to maintain their shape when under hard cornering. But I wouldn't dare suggest what pressures other riders should use! Be safe, be smart. ;)

Finally installed the r6 throttle. Haven’t rode with it but it seems to be working fine. This is what the cable slack look like after the installation 

67AD2E35-C747-400F-85C7-3FB87B83513A.jpeg

You probably know this, but in case you're not aware: You can adjust that slack out if it feels like too much for you. There are a couple nuts in the sheath of the throttle cable up near the throttle housing that allows you to effectively lengthen/shorten the sheath of the cable to correct the slack. 

50 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

You probably know this, but in case you're not aware: You can adjust that slack out if it feels like too much for you. There are a couple nuts in the sheath of the throttle cable up near the throttle housing that allows you to effectively lengthen/shorten the sheath of the cable to correct the slack. 

Or just use the adjuster that's shown in the picture...the cable slack is hard to judge in a picture without twisting the throttle, however, that would appear to be more than I would like compared to a visual of mine. 

58 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

That is for fine adjustment right?

5 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

That is for fine adjustment right?

Either one works but the one in the picture is just as easy with a 10mm wrench...take out the slack until just a wee bit remains at throttle then turn handlebars in both directions lock to lock to make sure that slight slack remains. You can watch or put your finger on the forward cable in your picture and feel the slack as you move the throttle and turn the bars. On mine with 41.5mm 'quick throttle' drum and almost zero slack and outboard end tube support between throttle tube and handlebar there is no slop in throttle, you turn it, you go...I like that.

6 minutes ago, markstertt said:

Or just use the adjuster that's shown in the picture...the cable slack is hard to judge in a picture without twisting the throttle, however, that would appear to be more than I would like compared to a visual of mine. 

Our slack at the throttle might be different?

Our slack at the throttle might be different?

Yes from what I think I see in your picture, your throttle will turn 'X' number of degrees before opening the injector body butterfly's...mine opens the butterfly valves almost immediately...makes for precise throttle control when taking off, blipping for down shifting etc. To much throttle slack is very annoying and can cause jerky throttle action, the first demo FZ-07 I rode had so much slack that I had to wind the throttle up a bit before launching and had to use my wrist to maintain a false idle stop to keep things smooth...I wonder how many people demoed that bike and thought...geesh, what's with this bike?

Adjusting the slack at either place is equally effective. Typically, you do your initial adjustment at the throttle body ( like if your installing a new cable), then you just maintain the slack with the upper adjustment ( usually easier to access) throughout the life of the cable as it stretches. If you've got a ton of slack it may be best to adjust at the throttle bodies. 

• Like 1

I just try to keep it within the 3-5mm the manual suggest but I’ll try to see how it is with less slack then that

15 hours ago, rick said:

Dat's a lot of pressure for this little bike with big bike tires.

Recommended pressure for my Futura is 36F and 40 rear and that bike has a 530 lb wet wt with the panniers in place and 5.5 gallons of fuel in the tub (nylon gas tank) 

I run 28/30 and find even that to be rather harsh. There is no indication from the tyres that the pressure is too low and they are cool to the touch even after an extended ride.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, faffi said:

I run 28/30 and find even that to be rather harsh. There is no indication from the tyres that the pressure is too low and they are cool to the touch even after an extended ride.

What tyres are you running on faffi?

Michelin PR3. Hardest tyres I've ridden on by a huge margin. The Heidenau K60 I run on the Virago scrambler feels far cushier with 42PSI in it than the PR3 do with 30.

23 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I can't see how it would harm the bike, but I'd definitely check the max PSI listed on the side wall of the tire, though. 

I had another thought about this a while ago. I'm 240 lbs geared up. I am often carrying another 20-40 lbs on the bike depending on what errands I'm running. Hell, I brought home a 45lb safe on the luggage rack the other weekend, and the saddlebags/ tail bag were also loaded with groceries, tools, etc. 

If Yamaha think this 385lb bike needs less tire pressure than the R6, then what about a 240lb rider on a FZ07 vs. a 160lb rider on a R6? Hmm...

Strictly my opinion, I think sport bike tires need a certain amount of pressure to maintain their shape when under hard cornering. But I wouldn't dare suggest what pressures other riders should use! Be safe, be smart. ;)

Yep, butt weight will surely come into play. I actually run the 35/F38R  on my Aprilia when I'm riding solo - mostly to help me reach the ground, lol. But at 135 lbs dripping wet, I can afford to cheat a bit. When I have the pillion occupied, I'll bump pressures back up to recommended 36/40. Riding the FZ 2-up ,is not on my to-do list, but I think I'd bump that back tire up some with another me back there. 

My Futura came with the 1st gen Pilot Roads as OE. Man, those tires were harsh and downright slippery until they warmed up. There were more than a few bikes that stayed on showrooms for too long and their overly exuberant, new owners found out the expensive/hard way just how slippery those tires were cold - and some ozone aging sure didn't help either. Nothing like low-siding a new bike 1 block from the dealership. Doh! . 

• Like 1

I remember being about 16 and looking at a brand new KDX 220 at a local dealership when I saw a guy leaving on his brand new sport bike. No idea what the bike was, but that guy was a big show off. He was loud inside the dealership, bragging about his bike, then when he was ready to leave he was outside revving and revving and revving...

He barely got out of the lot, nailed it, looped it and the bike fell on its side- splitting the engine open. Oil all over the road. Not even a mile and it was totalled. I laughed so hard my Dad got angry at me lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not quite today, but I spent most of the weekend messing around on the bike.

Got a good deal on a Puig sport windscreen from the forum which showed up and got installed on Friday. Excellent under 70ish mph, there was a noticeable reduction in pressure on my chest and wind buffeting on my helmet. It significantly reduced the neck strain of riding at prolonged speed with the crappy aerodynamics of my helmet. However over 80 mph, it does absolutely nothing.

Saturday I met up with a local sport bike group to hit some twisty roads, my first time out with them. Spent about 150 miles on the bike over the day, mostly back roads with some time on freeways. Had an absolute blast and the FZ kept up with the sport bike pace quite easily.

Sunday I went out with the university motorcycle club for some motorcycle gymkhana, a timed run around cones in a parking lot. I definitely gained some confidence with low speed handling and the prize for the big bikes went to another FZ07 rider. 

Overall I had an absolute blast and between the seat concepts seat and the new windscreen, I was perfectly comfy sitting on the bike the whole day! I keep eyeing those sport bikes but every time I sit on one I remember why I chose the FZ, all the performance I need plus that all-day comfort. Unfortunately, being around loud sportbikes all weekend has me eyeing exhausts again, which I definitely cannot afford yet.

20180204_125938-2016x1134.jpg

• Like 4

Once your budget allows for an exhaust you will start finding those loud inline fours to be very boring sounding. The sounds these twins make is just awesome. 

• Like 2

I finally got around to making the bracket and mounting the tube that will become a mini tool kit.  The paint said "automotive flat black"
 but has a strange tint, so that will probably get redone.  The tube is a bit small, but should be fine to keep some emergency tools on board.  And of course the yellow markings will have to be removed.  So far I'm liking the results.

20180204_211159.jpg

Zephyr

Cop: Slooooowly, step awaaaay from the bike and the pipe bomb!

Ha! Just kidding, I hope you never hear those words. It should come in handy for you as well as peaking other bikers interest as to what it is. Just don't put a sticker on it that says 20mm. 😉

• Haha 1

Beemer

On 2/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, Spanglo said:

New Denali mini soundbomb horn, and Cramp Buster.  Headed up to Palomar Mountain to break 'em in.

WrHerxjn4vzsfmR7mzho7KICq8eecM5pm5KZpNe5

I just looked that area up on google maps.......living on the west coast of australia , a roundabout is the most exciting bit of road for us.... looks stunning! I think I will have to start and plan a Holiday somewhere 'twisted' .... 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 8:49 PM, markstertt said:

Either one works but the one in the picture is just as easy with a 10mm wrench...take out the slack until just a wee bit remains at throttle then turn handlebars in both directions lock to lock to make sure that slight slack remains. You can watch or put your finger on the forward cable in your picture and feel the slack as you move the throttle and turn the bars. On mine with 41.5mm 'quick throttle' drum and almost zero slack and outboard end tube support between throttle tube and handlebar there is no slop in throttle, you turn it, you go...I like that.

Took almost all the slack out this morning. Haven’t got a chance to ride but been bothering me all daythinking what if I messed something up. 

6 hours ago, patrolus said:

I just looked that area up on google maps.......living on the west coast of australia , a roundabout is the most exciting bit of road for us.... looks stunning! I think I will have to start and plan a Holiday somewhere 'twisted' .... 

Yes, those twisties are glorious.

https://youtu.be/_WCK_ArCLQ0

As far as mods go, I recently did the throttle tube, but I used the stock tube so I didn't have take off the grip or buy anything. I simply cut strips of duct tape and built up tube until I got the desired turn. Ended up with throw shorter than the R6.

2 hours ago, jeffkisthename said:

I rode the FZ-07 today.

FZ07resize.thumb.jpg.26ee72f5478c6a93dcd5553e680102ef.jpg

Is your bikes right side mirror bent back? How was the ride?

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@Beemer not sure. Ride was cramped and uncomfortable after riding the FZ1 for 22k miles.  The FZ-07 is a treat still though, because it’s so damn nimble and easy to handle.

SigSide.jpg