The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

On 7/8/2014 at 2:50 AM, Guru said:

Changed the head light bulb for a better one and replaced the auxiliary light bulb with a LED.

Same thing, used bulb is OSRAM Night breaker Laser. It's brighter and whiter, looks nice.

47 minutes ago, liqwiq said:

Same thing, used bulb is OSRAM Night breaker Laser. It's brighter and whiter, looks nice.

Would you or someone else that has one of those OSRAM bulbs put up a night time video clip to show how well the bulb performs. It would be greatly appreciated. I found out recently that brightness isn't everything in a bulb, that angle and focus are equally important. Then there's the question of whether the price matches the bulb.

Beemer

24 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Would you or someone else that has one of those OSRAM bulbs put up a night time video clip to show how well the bulb performs. It would be greatly appreciated. I found out recently that brightness isn't everything in a bulb, that angle and focus are equally important. Then there's the question of whether the price matches the bulb.

I agree with you regarding angle and focus, that's why I don't buy Chinese LEDs, and Cyclops is a bit pricey in Croatia.

About video I believe that I should have a DSLR which can be set up to fixed exposure value so results are visible. Unfortunately I have only android camera which is not that great for comparing 2 different bulbs. Hopefully someone else will jump in.

Osram is cheap (~16$ in Croatia) in comparison to quality (not Chinesium) LED type bulbs (Usually over 100$ with shipping and/or customs).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, liqwiq said:

I agree with you regarding angle and focus, that's why I don't buy Chinese LEDs, and Cyclops is a bit pricey in Croatia.

About video I believe that I should have a DSLR which can be set up to fixed exposure value so results are visible. Unfortunately I have only android camera which is not that great for comparing 2 different bulbs. Hopefully someone else will jump in.

Osram is cheap (~16$ in Croatia) in comparison to quality (not Chinesium) LED type bulbs (Usually over 100$ with shipping and/or customs).

Whatever you can do is better than nothing, at least you would've tried. Thanks! 

Beemer

Got my Akra carbon installed, this week. Took about 2 hours sitting in the parking lot and only required the purchase of a couple new tools! haha The bike sounds so much better even with the baffle in. My friend who helped me install it mentioned that it finally sounded like a real bike. 

To celebrate I went out with my university's motorcycle club and rode to a local Vietnam war museum. It's so much fun to open the throttle with the new exhaust and man, she'll keep up with some quick bikes cornering at reasonably safe road speeds. 

20180616_134651-2016x1134.jpg

20180617_123024-2016x1134.jpg

• Like 4

Liquidmetal

My FZ will be a week old tomorrow, so I am just getting started.

Got my MRA Double Bubble windscreen installed on Friday, and my Vagabond fender eliminator kit installed this afternoon.

Pit Bull SS rear stand gets delivered tomorrow, will do my first oil change at 100 miles (typically when I do my first) on Tuesday.

• Like 2

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

On 6/8/2018 at 6:58 AM, 208MT07 said:

I tried out a new chain lube, Dupont Chain Saver, yesterday and found out that it also works extremely well at cleaning the crud off of the rear wheel. Once I finished with the chain, I was able to take a microfiber towel and wipe everything completely off of the wheel, which I had as of yet been unable to do while washing the bike (stuff was sticking to the hub of the wheel as well as the spokes since they are more textured than the lip, brushes and microfibers could get most of it but not all). So if anyone with the highlighter wheels is having issues cleaning them, this stuff will work haha. 

I do the same, but with kerosene. It gets those wheels shiny and smooth quickly

FZ07R WaNaB

So I got my spark plugs changed for the first time today at about 9,000 miles.  I was with my mechanic when he did it which was also his first time changing FZ plugs. He is a solo operation and has been working on bikes for 40+ years - great mechanic!

#2 (right side) cyclinder was easy and did not involve doing anything with the gas tank. #1 appeared to be a pain as the darn wiring presented a challenge which ultimately was doable. That did involve lifting the tank up and and out of the way, but did not involve disconnecting anything other than the overflow hoses. #1 also needed the 1/4" tubing to start the threads on the plug. The plugs actually looked pretty good. They had a life with 2000 miles totally stock, 2000 miles with snorkel  removed and a 2WDW flash, and 5000 miles with a MWR air filter and the flash. For about the last 500-1000 miles, I've been noticing that the acceleration was not a crisp which is interesting because the plugs looked good. Having said that, the acceleration is back to being as crisp as ever with the new plugs.

I also had him install the EBC HH pads for the front wheel. The stock front brakes were sorta sucky. They are much better with the EBC pads. After all this stuff was done, I went for a 260 miles ride which was a mix of back roads and Interstate - my FZ rides great!

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I also had him install the EBC HH pads for the front wheel. The stock front brakes were sorta sucky. They are much better with the EBC pads. After all this stuff was done, I went for a 260 miles ride which was a mix of back roads and Interstate - my FZ rides great!

Let my friend ride the FZ last week and his only comment was that the front brakes felt a bit soft. I had never noticed until I rode his supersport, but now it definitely feels like an upgrade is necessary. I may have to try those. 

14 minutes ago, thedriver1 said:

Let my friend ride the FZ last week and his only comment was that the front brakes felt a bit soft. I had never noticed until I rode his supersport, but now it definitely feels like an upgrade is necessary. I may have to try those. 

HH pads will give you a better bite for sure, but they are also a bit hard on rotors and can be a bit grabby in slow traffic

But before you spend money on pads, make sure there is no air in the brake lines. Because of that loop of hose that goes up and over the front wheel, it's almost impossible to bleed this system properly w/o raising one caliper up high enough to allow air to rise up out of that loop. 

A lot of guys immediately swapped the lines for braided stainless. In the process, that loop over the wheel was eliminated. A big improvement was credited to the braided stainless, when it was really the change in how the hoses were routed.

I think you'll find that after a proper bleed, the lever will firm up dramatically and you can wait util the OE pads to wear out before spending on new. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rick said:

I think you'll find that after a proper bleed, the lever will firm up dramatically and you can wait util the OE pads to wear out before spending on new. 

I tried bleeding once, but I didn't remove either of the calipers to eliminate the effect of that loop. I may have to give that a try next.

Thank you!

Iirc, the hose from the master goes to the left side caliper. If that's the case, then raise the right side. 

I bled mine a couple times w/o doing this and it didn't help much. I had a great big air bubble come out after taking that loop of hose out of the picture. Doesn't take much air to cause some sponginess to the lever. 

• Like 2

Added a Renthal Streetfighter handlebars!

Need longer clutch cable though (2 or 3 inches longer, no pun intended)... Any other cable model I can get before getting something custom built?

Edited by Kyuzo

I cut off a few tabs on the frame I won’t be using with the race fairings!

(can’t wait to start my build thread! The the builds section ;) )

5 minutes ago, artwood said:

Painted my heel guards and side thingies with spray-on bed liner. Love the way it looks!

devil.PNG

Bed liner should last longer than regular paint so good idea! Looks good too! Your bike is really shaping up. The muffler wrap stands out and sorta gives it a hooligan look. I may do that one day.

• Like 1

Beemer

Liquidmetal

Did the first chain adjustment on the FZ today at 353 miles.  Didn't really need it all that badly, but I felt like doing it.

Installed some Yamaha red (bike is rapid red) aluminum valve stem caps as well, just a little accent touch in the wheel area.

• Like 1

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Sunday: Installed an Akrapovic Carbon exhaust while waiting for my ECU to be flashed. Also installed new black pillar guards on the sides of the bike.

Monday: Got my ECU back from 2WDW todays and finally got to go for a ride with my new Akra exhaust installed. Didnt get to ride for long but so far Im loving the sound. I kept the baffle in for now but I will take it out just to hear the roar. 

• Like 2

I have sold her.

After 18 month of ownership and 11 000 kilometers full of fun I have decided to say good-buy to my loved first bike. But don't worry, the bike I have picked as next is an MT09 SP model, to be delivered by the dealer this friday :)

• Thumbs Down 1

20 minutes ago, zsoci said:

I have sold her.

After 18 month of ownership and 11 000 kilometers full of fun I have decided to say good-buy to my loved first bike. But don't worry, the bike I have picked as next is an MT09 SP model, to be delivered by the dealer this friday :)

Any particular reasons why? Good or bad.

Beemer

6 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Any particular reasons why? Good or bad.

I like the looks of the new MT09, and in some very rare moments I could use a bit more power. I know in reality porbably in 95% of the cases I will simply not use the full potential of the bike (I'm not Rossi at the end of the day :) ). 

Recently I have joind some folks with a bit higher power bikes (Street Triple R, Z900, F800R ect) and in straigt lines they do give a hard time to keep up with the MT07... 

But lets face it... I dig the looks of the 09 :)

• Like 3

Liquidmetal

Installed my Vagabond frame sliders yesterday.

Gonna clean and lube the chain for the first time today.

The FZ will get its second oil change (at 500 or so miles) tomorrow.  Did the first one at 115 miles.

• Like 1

Did this a few weeks back but added one coat of nightshade to my turn signals. 

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

• Like 2

Instagram: @jayparrington 

Also, installed the Yoshi fender eliminator. 

IMG_0861.JPG

• Like 2

Instagram: @jayparrington