The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

7 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

You're damn right it is....if I had a garage, it would be like this. Pure envy.

If I had a garage like this, it wouldn't stay like this.

9 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Installed the Akro Ti exhaust.  Not as quick and easy as I had hoped for, but not very difficult either...I did notice one thing interesting was that there is a rubber plug covering a screw that appears to be holding the baffle in place.  I am curious to find out if Akro decided to try and make things easy for us instead of potentially mangling the baffle?  No time to play tonight, so I'll have to find out later.

I bought my bike used with the Akrapovic Ti exhaust (top choice). The previous owner had mangled the then new baffle trying to pull it out with pliers (after removing the hold-down screw of course). Finally, he looked it up online and saw that the baffle has to be knocked out from the front inlet hole. The pipe is loud as f*** without a baffle so I sawed off the angled and mangled pipe stubs (looked fine shortened like that) and re-installed the baffle. I thought it was too quiet like that so I removed the pipe, knocked out the baffle and put it on my drill-press.  I drilled 1/4-inch holes all the way through each interior baffle pipe.  That sounded great but it was also my first time working with titanium - the freaking drill bit turned red hot and sort of melted through the thin-wall baffle tubes.  Gah, 3al-2.5v titanium is HARD (or maybe this is 6al-4v alloy which is even harder).

Anyway, eventually I got tired of the extra noise and decided to go stealth mode (with the crap I pull in traffic, the last thing I need is for a cop to hear me doing illegal things). Last week, I once again removed the pipe (2 springs and 2 bolts), knocked out the baffle (I used a blunt piece of 1/2-inch rebar) and I installed a new replacement baffle (part# V-TUV149, $45) which required considerable effort to knock into place.  (A tip: the tiny fastener hole was slightly out of line so I put two pieces of 1/2-inch rebar into my bench vise side-by-side and slipped the pipe and baffle over them.  It was then easy to twist the whole pipe by hand and thus tweak the baffle into perfect alignment so I could put in the screw.) Much better noise level now which goes well with my quiet, new Shoei GT Air helmet. If I want more noise again, I can always change back.

• Like 2

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

2 hours ago, Slug said:

Decided to paint my cheap seat cowl.

I have the Yamaha-branded pillion seat cover (came with the bike) which looks nice but I never use it. I nearly always have a tail pack strapped to the pillion seat instead.  Paradoxically, I used to own a '97 TL1000S, a bike which I liked a lot, but which came stock with the most heinously ugly pillion seat cover ever known to mankind.  Still, I used that cover all the time (the flat, wide tank was ideal for the magnetic tank bags I owned in three sizes back then).  My bike had the first-gen Power Commander, retuned front-suspension (stock compression dampening was outrageously stiff), and 6-pot calipers/master from a GSXR-750. It also had the horrible rotary rear dampener which sucked spectacularly.  As much as I liked that bike, I like my FZ07 even better.

97-TL1000S.jpg

• Like 1

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
18 hours ago, motorazr said:

I have the Yamaha-branded pillion seat cover (came with the bike) which looks nice but I never use it. I nearly always have a tail pack strapped to the pillion seat instead.  Paradoxically, I used to own a '97 TL1000S, a bike which I liked a lot, but which came stock with the most heinously ugly pillion seat cover ever known to mankind.  Still, I used that cover all the time (the flat, wide tank was ideal for the magnetic tank bags I owned in three sizes back then).  My bike had the first-gen Power Commander, retuned front-suspension (stock compression dampening was outrageously stiff), and 6-pot calipers/master from a GSXR-750. It also had the horrible rotary rear dampener which sucked spectacularly.  As much as I liked that bike, I like my FZ07 even better.

97-TL1000S.jpg

Yup, that's some ugly seat cover.  BTW love your avatar.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Liquidmetal

Installed my new radiator guard today.

• Like 2

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Liquidmetal

Always felt the FZ's tank area was rather bland, so I ordered some decals from Etsy.

My name in small text over a distressed American flag.  Same on the other side of the tank.  I like it.

Kinda hard to get a decent pic because of the glare from the tank.

FZ-07_7.jpg

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Installed CRG RC2 adjustable shorty levers and Yamaha heated grips. 

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

• Like 2

Instagram: @jayparrington 

• Premium Member

I showed my bike this video... 

... Now I think my bike is jealous -_-

• Like 4

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Bigturbomax
8 hours ago, norcal616 said:

My bike is also jealous lol

Liquidmetal

Painted my heel guards satin black this morning using VHT epoxy paint.  They look very nice, just got to wait a day or two for the paint to fully cure before I put them back on.

• Like 1

superfishal

Nailed it! Fairly new RS2 but I should be able to get it patched and plugged next week. I'm grateful I made it home without losing air because I have yet to carry a plug kit on the bike.

IMG_20180727_083607.jpg

superfishal
On 7/26/2018 at 4:59 AM, norcal616 said:

I've always dreamed of how the 7 would sound with a head and valve job, and a turbo kit. That video gave my bike the shivers.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, superfishal said:

I've always dreamed of how the 7 would sound with a head and valve job, and a turbo kit. That video gave my bike the shivers.

they haven't even attempted to do any Port n Polish or valve work on either the CP2 or CP3 motors for the turbo kits that I know of... they will be working on a better clutch assembly to handle the power like they did for the CP3... if they add an Air-Air IC later on, bigger injectors will needed since they already mentioned they are pushing the limits of the stock injectors @7.5 psi of boost...

I am interested in the CP3 turbo kit but I would need to mix my own gas for some 98 pump gas thats commonly found outside the US or go visit VCycle Nut for a E85 tune

• Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

@norcal616, the octane number you see outside the US is MON.  The US uses (MON+RON)/2, which is 4 to 6 octane lower.   98 octane would be around 93 octane here. 

• Like 1

Yanked the stock airbox to get ready for the Hordpower airbox coming in tomorrow.  After hearing all the stories about how hard the stock housing was to remove, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was actually rather easy.  No cutting, no cursing, no dropping the motor.  Had it out in a half hour.

airboxremoval1.thumb.jpeg.3b451d4a42879c82cd98f93500e23a3f.jpeg

airboxremoval2.thumb.jpeg.73443871a3193809acdd61987d658837.jpeg

Can't wait to see the difference the Hordpower box makes!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, djfz07 said:

Yanked the stock airbox to get ready for the Hordpower airbox coming in tomorrow

welcome to the Hord Army 😈

• Like 2

Went for a ride to check out the Akra Pipe and updated ecu flash.  Everything was peachy.  Decided to spend some time practicing emergency stops from 35-40mph and also emergency swerves on a stretch of residential pavement that sees little traffic.  Finished out with some slow speed figure 8 's trying to stay in between the lane lines - still got to put in more work on slow speed maneuvers.  Going left no problem, but going right was tricky today.

Installed stainless brake lines all around once back home.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to test them out before the weekend is over.

Edited by Zephyr
  • Like 5

After riding it 340km on a nice sunny day to visit my home town and driving it back a few days later in the rain, I decided to wash it for the first time. I also checked my chain sag and cleaned and lubed it. 

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

2B9EE7FA-473C-4720-9790-F78BD376EF93.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/26/2018 at 4:59 AM, norcal616 said:

Oh my god I wish I hadn't seen that video... now I can't stop thinking about buying that kit.

• Global Moderator

Rode it for the first time in a long while 

Apparently the AZ heat doesn't like hand grip glue and deteroiates the crap out of it

Took it to a friend's shop to have em glued back down

Also been on here for the first time in a long while

Sorry to those that may have missed me

• Like 5

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
On 7/27/2018 at 11:03 PM, djfz07 said:

Yanked the stock airbox to get ready for the Hordpower airbox coming in tomorrow.  After hearing all the stories about how hard the stock housing was to remove, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was actually rather easy.  No cutting, no cursing, no dropping the motor.  Had it out in a half hour.

airboxremoval2.thumb.jpeg.73443871a3193809acdd61987d658837.jpeg

Can't wait to see the difference the Hordpower box makes!

Nice! I chopped and hacked my stock airbox out (befitting end to its hideousness) and happily threw it in the trash. Along with a PC-V and Hord's custom mapping the Hordpower filter is fantastic. Brand new bike in power/fun/sound and overall aesthetics.

Like the Fonz. ;)  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
On 7/28/2018 at 4:11 PM, JayMT07 said:

After riding it 340km on a nice sunny day to visit my home town and driving it back a few days later in the rain, I decided to wash it for the first time. I also checked my chain sag and cleaned and lubed it. 

2B9EE7FA-473C-4720-9790-F78BD376EF93.jpeg

Looks good! I picked up the same Kriega system. Fantastic bit of kit along with the 10 yr warranty. sold. Backpacks are also excellent.

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Puss said:

Looks good! I picked up the same Kriega system. Fantastic bit of kit along with the 10 yr warranty. sold. Backpacks are also excellent.

I really like the Kriega bags and system. I use a Kriega r20 as my everyday pack.  Wife sports the r30. 

Edited by JayMT07
  • Like 1