The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

I believe there are two basic settings on these; low or high. In the low basic setting, you may find max to heat less than minimum would when the basic setting is high. Yes, that sounds confusing even to me 🤓

• Premium Member

426FC4F5-1E0D-40EB-8D3D-4C4C060B5CA5.thumb.jpeg.fc5b1f8d757ba4302ee7a69d0fdd5d98.jpegTechnically it was yesterday. I did a 16,000 mile oil + filter change, cleaned+ lubed chain, removed plastics and tank and replaced the spark plugs with NGK LMAR8BI-9 Iridium's. The picture is of the plugs I removed they've been in for 7,000 miles.

Edited by fzar

• Global Moderator
On 11/1/2018 at 3:38 AM, phanomenal07 said:

Installed the Yamaha heated grips today. Haven't rode with it yet and. On the max settings I was able to grab it with my bare hands so that doesn't sound very promising but I will see what happens when I actually use it

I find mine too hot on the high setting with my gloves on.  I usually use medium until I get warm enough then low after that.  Sometimes I go back to medium again for a while on a longer ride in the cold. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 4:29 PM, Old Man said:

Well, after 1,000 miles of ass  bashing I decided to adjust pre-load and rebound on my rear shock (2018). I'm 6'2", 180#. You'd think it was set just right for my weight,  with position 4 for pre-load and 1-1/2 turns out for rebound (factory setting, both basically right in the middle). 

Nope. Very jittery over rapid cheese grater type bumps.  Rebound throwing my butt in the air a bit all day long. Makes you think the seat really sucks, but it doesn't. 

Dialed the pre-load to position 2 (softer)  and rebound 2-1/2 turns out (3 turns out is max out soft). 

NOTICEABLE improvement. I can feel the road much more precisely, my butt isn't bucked out of the saddle, the rebound is still firm and fast. 

A little sag in the rear when I give throttle so I might go 3 on pre-load, but rebound is now under control. This bike is my daily commuter, not a naked track bike. That's how tight the stock setup is. 

I'll ride this a few days and see if it's too soft. If so, I'll go 3 on pre-load and 2 turns out on rebound, tops.  But I think this is it. 

What's the final adjustment you made? I'm 5' 4" and around 150-160 with gear and when I go over bumps I almost get thrown out the saddle

6AM. Dark. Heavy traffic. Lane splitting. 15-20 mph. Manhole cover missing from Drain. Crash. No damage to me or the bike. Extremely lucky. Onwards to work and on time. BQE/ Gowanus in Brooklyn,NY

• Confused 1

We had a spate of people nicking drain covers for their scrap value. I guess they have turned to nicking bikes instead now

Just do it! 

10 hours ago, terasaki said:

6AM. Dark. Heavy traffic. Lane splitting. 15-20 mph. Manhole cover missing from Drain. Crash. No damage to me or the bike. Extremely lucky. Onwards to work and on time. BQE/ Gowanus in Brooklyn,NY

Whoa that’s crazy, I’m in nyc too and it’s crazy how bad the roads are, you should sue the city

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, terasaki said:

BQE/ Gowanus in Brooklyn,NY

As if it isn't bad enough without missing manhole covers, Jeez TFU.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:25 PM, Dare738 said:

What's the final adjustment you made? I'm 5' 4" and around 150-160 with gear and when I go over bumps I almost get thrown out the saddle

I left it at 2 and 2 1\2 .  This bike is a disappointment in my book. Don't get me started.

Picked up my 2018 MT-07 yesterday and I'm already 100 miles into the break in period.  It didn't take me long to start changing things up to make it mine. 

Painted the exhaust shield and gas cap black because I don't like silver things, it's too dark to take pics right now.

I like how easy the feel of the shifter is but I hate how far you need to move it so I re-positioned the point of attachment on the shift arm to shorten the throw.  This adjustment is a balancing act because if you move it too far you'll lose so much leverage that it's become hard to move the shift lever with your toe.  At first I thought I moved it too much as it was quick to shift but harder then I would have liked, you can't have your cake and est it too.  After 30 miles of riding I've gotten used to the difference in the input needed but If I had to do it again I'd try moving it about 20% less.  I may spend the $18 and buy another arm to try it at a slightly different position. 

612376520_MT-07(2).thumb.jpg.693e6f3736e791d7d47cb3b1c4a8c5c7.jpg

I flipped the shift arm to go back to the GP style shifting I prefer and trimmed away the side cover to allow the rod to pass through. 

The clutch lever on these things has an odd feel I don't like so much so I robbed the super trick CRG clutch lever and perch from the defunked ninja 250 and mounted it to the MT which gave me back that fluid clutch feel I so like.  This setup is unique in that it has 3 positions to mount the cable which changes the pull ratio of the cable to actuate it faster for a quick bit or slower for more feel. 

Because I changed the clutch perch I lost my left mirror so I mounted a CRG Lane Splitter bar end mirror which was given to me yesterday by a friend.  I'll probably give a short review on these once I get a few weeks on them. 

New Pro Taper soft grips for my old man hands.  I was hoping for a R6 throttle tube as well but none were in stock. 

Clipped some mini bungees under the passenger seat so I could go grab some dinner.  I miss not having my givi top case but this'll have to do for now, not sure if it'll fit a pizza though. 

1594762840_MT-07(1).thumb.jpg.40cee3e1c26d889c2192ebddb98ef3d9.jpg

• Like 8

Gear indicator was giving me flashy gear and ghost gear. Checked the sensor and it was not pretty by electron standards. badcontact.jpg.b30c2293ae80c2509015a3d88a3337e9.jpg

I gave it a little bit of a scrub and  now, no flashy or ghost geargoodcontact.jpg.472ac3719cf699ebf06ebb2ba80a9c81.jpg

thanks to red 5 on youtube for the tip.

• Like 5

• Global Moderator
On 11/11/2018 at 8:54 PM, RojoRacing said:

Picked up my 2018 MT-07 yesterday and I'm already 100 miles into the break in period.  It didn't take me long to start changing things up to make it mine. 

Painted the exhaust shield and gas cap black because I don't like silver things, it's too dark to take pics right now.

I like how easy the feel of the shifter is but I hate how far you need to move it so I re-positioned the point of attachment on the shift arm to shorten the throw.  This adjustment is a balancing act because if you move it too far you'll lose so much leverage that it's become hard to move the shift lever with your toe.  At first I thought I moved it too much as it was quick to shift but harder then I would have liked, you can't have your cake and est it too.  After 30 miles of riding I've gotten used to the difference in the input needed but If I had to do it again I'd try moving it about 20% less.  I may spend the $18 and buy another arm to try it at a slightly different position. 

I flipped the shift arm to go back to the GP style shifting I prefer and trimmed away the side cover to allow the rod to pass through. 

The clutch lever on these things has an odd feel I don't like so much so I robbed the super trick CRG clutch lever and perch from the defunked ninja 250 and mounted it to the MT which gave me back that fluid clutch feel I so like.  This setup is unique in that it has 3 positions to mount the cable which changes the pull ratio of the cable to actuate it faster for a quick bit or slower for more feel. 

Because I changed the clutch perch I lost my left mirror so I mounted a CRG Lane Splitter bar end mirror which was given to me yesterday by a friend.  I'll probably give a short review on these once I get a few weeks on them. 

New Pro Taper soft grips for my old man hands.  I was hoping for a R6 throttle tube as well but none were in stock. 

Clipped some mini bungees under the passenger seat so I could go grab some dinner.  I miss not having my givi top case but this'll have to do for now, not sure if it'll fit a pizza though. 

yes, it will fit a pizza
i've carried 18" home from Grimaldis on the back.... boxes were slightly bent and pizza was a bit cool, but still edible

as for what i've done to my bike...  I've repaired the tire after getting another goddamned flat and finding a nail in it. 
i commute less than 5 mi to my workshop, this is ridiculous... either way gotta put the tire back on today at some point

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

On 11/11/2018 at 10:54 PM, RojoRacing said:

Nice job on the shifter throw adjustment.  I've considered the same but had the same concerns about leverage. Since you've been the guinea pig, I know where to drill mine now.  :D

The shifter doesn't quite as bad as the brake pedal, though. I'd really like to shorten the throw on that but haven't had any good ideas other than building a whole new pedal. After 12k miles of riding I still haven't adapted to it, but it's also not important enough for me to go crazy over it.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sorkyah said:

Is that the charcoal canister to the left of the airbox nipple? The round piece with the grey hose running vertical. I'm thinking it is as I don't have 1 on mine (non-CA) bike. Maybe its something else, just curious.

Edited by fzar

• Global Moderator
3 minutes ago, fzar said:

Is that the charcoal canister to the left of the airbox nipple? I'm thinking it is as I don't have 1 on mine (non-CA) bike. Maybe its something else, just curious.

rojo is in cali, so i would imagine it is
though im not sure why it looks like theres a drain on it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

The shifter doesn't quite as bad as the brake pedal, though. I'd really like to shorten the throw on that but haven't had any good ideas other than building a whole new pedal. After 12k miles of riding I still haven't adapted to it, but it's also not important enough for me to go crazy over it.

I don't like the rear brake pedal either. I did raise the height of the pedal which helped a bit. That set the rear brake light on permanently so a further adjustment had to be done for that.

Just do it! 

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

Nice job on the shifter throw adjustment.  I've considered the same but had the same concerns about leverage. Since you've been the guinea pig, I know where to drill mine now.  :D

I almost never touch the rear brake unless I just ran off course and I’m heading for the tire wall. If I get a chance I’ll look at it and see if I can come up with a simple solution 

58 minutes ago, fzar said:

Is that the charcoal canister to the left of the airbox nipple? The round piece with the grey hose running vertical. I'm thinking it is as I don't have 1 on mine (non-CA) bike. Maybe its something else, just curious.

It’s the nitrous canister needed to get these babies over 100hp. Yes that’s the California charcoal can which I’ll probably remove over thanksgiving weekend when I tear apart the bike for the first time. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

I almost never touch the rear brake unless I just ran off course and I’m heading for the tire wall. If I get a chance I’ll look at it and see if I can come up with a simple solution 

Coming from dirt bikes I tend to over-use my rear brake. There's no real linkage to play with on the rear brake. It's been awhile since I look so I don't remember clearly, but I think I walked away with the conclusion that I'd just have to cut off the rear portion off the pedal and weld a different tab back on. I remember I took a few rough measurements with the idea of building a new pedal out of aluminum slabs, but nothing ever materialized, of course. Too many other pots in the fire.

R6 throttle tube installed, the larger white option. Damn I had no idea how small the MT-07’s throttle tube cam was, it’s tiny compared to the R6 tube.  The extra cam took up nearly all my available throttle cable adjustment so even if you could find a bigger cam option you’d need new longer inner cables to accommodate. 

Also tried to install a Denali sound bomb mini but it’s quiter then the most silent of farts. Seems to be dead on arrival which is a bit sad. 

• Like 1

Ha I just realized I rode 40 miles to work and didn’t even remember or notice I had changed the throttle tube last night. May e my hand is so used to quick turn throttles that this is normal to it felt natural.