The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Global Moderator
13 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

R6 throttle tube installed, the larger white option. Damn I had no idea how small the MT-07’s throttle tube cam was, it’s tiny compared to the R6 tube.  The extra cam took up nearly all my available throttle cable adjustment so even if you could find a bigger cam option you’d need new longer inner cables to accommodate. 

Also tried to install a Denali sound bomb mini but it’s quiter then the most silent of farts. Seems to be dead on arrival which is a bit sad. 

The soundbomb mini shouldnt be quiet. only thing i'd recommend is rotating it on the bracket. it doesnt like to sit anywhere close to horizontal. had to make a bracket for mine so it would sit perfectly vertical. if it's not the positioning, then blame denali :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

2 hours ago, sorkyah said:

The soundbomb mini shouldnt be quiet. only thing i'd recommend is rotating it on the bracket. it doesnt like to sit anywhere close to horizontal. had to make a bracket for mine so it would sit perfectly vertical. if it's not the positioning, then blame denali :P

It’s not quite, it’s silent. It’s going to be exchanged as it seems they had a run of defective ones but it’s a little odd that it works when touch the leads to the battery. Maybe the defect causes it to need more juice then the stock system to reach critical mass. 

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

It’s not quite, it’s silent. It’s going to be exchanged as it seems they had a run of defective ones but it’s a little odd that it works when touch the leads to the battery. Maybe the defect causes it to need more juice then the stock system to reach critical mass. 

that's shitty
but at least they're exchangin it

Ok so mini bomb horn problem solved. First I called the place I bought it from and they claimed there was a run of bad ones so send it back. Then I started to wonder a bit and called the manufacturer today. After several mins of talking and me inquiring as to how exactly the sound is produced the tech told me to try adjusting the set screw. 🤔 

So on the side there’s a set screw(you can’t miss it) and it adjusts the vibration plates spacing inside the horn. The thought was that my bike wasn’t sending enough power through the horn to vibrate the plates which explains why it works when feed power strait from the battery. A turn in on the set screw and I could hear it want to come to life, one more turn to fully awaken it and one more turn for good measure. 

I just finished my 3rd tank of gas and I’m nearly at 500 miles. Probably a short ride tomorrow followed by an oil change and a big ride on Sunday. 

• Like 3

• Global Moderator

hmmm
so turn it in and it gets louder eh?

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

The extra cam took up nearly all my available throttle cable adjustment so even if you could find a bigger cam option you’d need new longer inner cables to accommodate. 

I found that I can get more adjustment at the cable adjuster by adjusting the throttle cables at the throttle body by loosening it up a little at the nuts. I like that I don’t have to go digging to make small refinements  in slop., I can pull the cable adjuster covers and make the change right there.

9 minutes ago, fzar said:

I found that I can get more adjustment at the cable adjuster by adjusting the throttle cables at the throttle body by loosening it up a little at the nuts. I like that I don’t have to go digging to make small refinements  in slop., I can pull the cable adjuster covers and make the change right there.

I had to mess with it at both ends too get enough cable. At the throttle body I’ve got no adjustment left and maybe half a dozen turns into it at the throttle. 

11 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

hmmm
so turn it in and it gets louder eh?

No, once it’s on then that’s it. They said more will change the pitch a but not enough to be discernible to the ear. 

• Global Moderator
6 minutes ago, RojoRacing said:

I had to mess with it at both ends too get enough cable. At the throttle body I’ve got no adjustment left and maybe half a dozen turns into it at the throttle. 

or if you move to wider handlebars, i have a custom cable running through mine because i was maxed out on adjustment and i have the gilles tooling gtol bars, that are about 1.5 " wider than stock

• Premium Member

Ok so mini bomb horn problem solved. First I called the place I bought it from and they claimed there was a run of bad ones so send it back. Then I started to wonder a bit and called the manufacturer today. After several mins of talking and me inquiring as to how exactly the sound is produced the tech told me to try adjusting the set screw. 🤔 

So on the side there’s a set screw(you can’t miss it) and it adjusts the vibration plates spacing inside the horn. The thought was that my bike wasn’t sending enough power through the horn to vibrate the plates which explains why it works when feed power strait from the battery. A turn in on the set screw and I could hear it want to come to life, one more turn to fully awaken it and one more turn for good measure.  

Thanks! This information would be useful on the tech tips sections for future reference. 👍

I believe this would apply to all diaphragm operated horns?

I also had to get more slack from below to finish my R6 tube install. Since I was messing around down there anyway, I set the top adjusters shorter (~1/3 out from shortest settings)  prior to  getting more slack from below so I'd have room for easier handlebar cable adjustments in the future when/if the throttle cables stretch at all later as well as allow for making fine tuning adjustments .

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

I believe this would apply to all diaphragm operated horns?

Correct, the OEM horn also has the same set screw. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, DewMan said:

I also had to get more slack from below to finish my R6 tube install. Since I was messing around down there anyway, I set the top adjusters shorter (~1/3 out from shortest settings)  prior to  getting more slack from below so I'd have room for easier handlebar cable adjustments in the future when/if the throttle cables stretch at all later as well as allow for making fine tuning adjustments .

I forgot to mention that mines a 2015 with the original cable so there would have been plenty of stretch to work with, as opposed to a brand new bike IMHO!!!

• Like 1

New handguards, refitted windscreen extension and re-purposed old ebay handguards as micro leg fairings. Much warmer riding!

20181119_161827-756x1008.jpg

Took it for a first ride today.  60 miles total.  Went down my favorite local hwy227 just 1/2 mile from the house.  It was everything I've been imagining since I started looking 3 years ago when they first came out.  Spent most of the ride tweeking the shock.  220 lbs. geared up, I settled on full preload #7 and rebound 1 1/2 turns in from full stiff.  I can see where higher quality components are in the future.  That said, the stock springs handled my fat ass commendably.  I have a vstream touring shield, R&G radiator guard, Cortech 12L tankbag and a 17T countershaft sprocket on order.  Will probably do the SW Motech centerstand and a givi trunk mount kit down the road.  So far I'm thrilled.  So light and responsive.

• Like 1

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, scotto said:

Will probably do the SW Motech centerstand

The center stand is entirely too handy. Makes basic maintenance so much easier. Nevermind allowing the bike to take up a little less room in my already over-crowded garage while parked. It should have been standard equipment. It's not cheap but I haven't regretted it.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

@DewMan, my thoughts exactly.  Chain maintenence, cleaning rear wheel, not to mention if you replace shock or want to pull your fork tubes.  Yes it should have come with one but then they are building it to a price.

• Like 2

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

@Blacksheep. What are you planning on doing with your comfort seat you bought.  Any interest in selling it?  What is the difference between it and stock?  How much $ might you want?

@scotto - Well, I cannot return them, so I planned to sell them on eBay or something. I can sell it, but remember, you have to have a 2018 MT-07, it WILL NOT FIT the 14-17 FZ-07 which is the mistake I made. I am not looking to make my money back and know I will lose some - I can sell it for $200 shipped in the USA. 

Edited by Blacksheep

4 hours ago, scotto said:

@DewMan, my thoughts exactly.  Chain maintenence, cleaning rear wheel, not to mention if you replace shock or want to pull your fork tubes.  Yes it should have come with one but then they are building it to a price.

I like the center stand for doing oil changes also, it keeps the bike level and I can see the window easier.

Beemer

@Blacksheep.  That seems like a very fair price.  I do have an '18.  Problem is I have only had the chance to put 60 miles on the bike so far and my a$$ felt fine when I got home.  I have owned bikes that after 60 miles you knew that the seat was crap!  It may be a big mistake but I have to pass on it for now.  I'm sure if you through it in the "for sale" section on this forum or on Ebay, you should have no problem selling them, especially since they're unused.  If I do decide I need a better seat, I will check with you first.  Thanks.

On 11/19/2018 at 7:00 PM, Bigturbomax said:

New handguards, refitted windscreen extension and re-purposed old ebay handguards as micro leg fairings. Much warmer riding!

20181119_161827-756x1008.jpg

Are these the SW Motech handguards? 

13 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Are these the SW Motech handguards? 

Indeed they are sir

20181119_190230-1008x756.jpg

• Like 2

I've been eyeballing those forever and keep waiting for the Chinese to rip them off lol.  I'd love to see how they fit up around the stock controls. Do you think they sit close enough to be effective as winter windshields? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I've been eyeballing those forever and keep waiting for the Chinese to rip them off lol.  I'd love to see how they fit up around the stock controls. Do you think they sit close enough to be effective as winter windshields? 

I also took forever to pull the trigger on them. I bought them through revzilla. There IS a chinese knock off now(i can send you a link if interested), but i i didnt wanna wait 2 months to save 40 bucks. Also i dont know if the knock offs are even decent quality, sometimes they are but i didnt wanna risk it. As far as how close they sit...ill try and remember to get a pic tomorrow. They are 2 position adjustable for distance and of course up/down adjustable. I have them in the closest position. Despite their narrow appearance they are shaped effectively and work excellent as winter shields. I also have the yamaha heated grips and am pleased with the combo. Want better gloves still but im commuting in high 30s F for 40 ish minutes in the mornings so its pretty damn cold. I def recommend the motech hand guards and intend to write a review on the forum when i have time and the ability to organize my thoughts haha

Edited by Bigturbomax
  • Like 1