The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Premium Member
On 3/10/2020 at 11:09 PM, shinyribs said:

Hey man, you had a chance to ride these forks much? Curious what your thoughts are. I need to do some research on these kits.

Yeah, I've put a few miles on'em 300+ miles. My thoughts are simple really, it's a huge upgrade over oem @ Ohlins recommended settings for pre-load,reb,comp. I had to slow myself down when I realized how fast I was going as it didn't feel like I was pushing at all, granted it was a track like surfaced road with some cambered turns. It made things effortless compared to before when I had re-built the front with 130mm oil height from top in the forks/ Maxima 10W, this was also better than oem (without cutting pre-load tubes)..!! I do have an Ohlins stx-46 shock also and they really work well with each other. I went on a not so good road to feel it out, (no changes to settings) and it was a little harsh on the comp. I didn't worry about it too much as that's not why I got them and I can adjust in the future if needs be. It was money well spent in my eyes, gives a sense of confidence knowing the front is now doing what its supposed to do. Add the rear behaving well also, its a different bike. I didn't want to mess with adjustments until I got it to the track, as the last time (first time) I had it at the track I only had the shock. The shock also was a massive improvement. i really can't comment on which upgrade was better as they  happened at different times and I've never rode the bike with the nix-22  with the oem shock. Overall I'm very happy. Hope this helps in some way!

@shinyribs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fzar said:

Yeah, I've put a few miles on'em 300+ miles. My thoughts are simple really, it's a huge upgrade over oem @ Ohlins recommended settings for pre-load,reb,comp. I had to slow myself down when I realized how fast I was going as it didn't feel like I was pushing at all, granted it was a track like surfaced road with some cambered turns. It made things effortless compared to before when I had re-built the front with 130mm oil height from top in the forks/ Maxima 10W, this was also better than oem (without cutting pre-load tubes)..!! I do have an Ohlins stx-46 shock also and they really work well with each other. I went on a not so good road to feel it out, (no changes to settings) and it was a little harsh on the comp. I didn't worry about it too much as that's not why I got them and I can adjust in the future if needs be. It was money well spent in my eyes, gives a sense of confidence knowing the front is now doing what its supposed to do. Add the rear behaving well also, its a different bike. I didn't want to mess with adjustments until I got it to the track, as the last time (first time) I had it at the track I only had the shock. The shock also was a massive improvement. i really can't comment on which upgrade was better as they  happened at different times and I've never rode the bike with the nix-22  with the oem shock. Overall I'm very happy. Hope this helps in some way!

@shinyribs

Thanks man, I appreciate the info. That sounds awesome! You almost expect some harshness in setups like this. There's a reason Cadillac' don't handle like Corvettes!, and Vettes dont ride like Caddys ;)

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Thanks man, I appreciate the info. That sounds awesome! You almost expect some harshness in setups like this. There's a reason Cadillac' don't handle like Corvettes!, and Vettes dont ride like Caddys ;)

Thats pretty much what I was trying to explain, just a little more detailed about the product itself.👍

• Like 1

Bigturbomax

New color for frame covers and radiator guard. Will post what they look like on bike tomorrow. They were a gloss black before but after 2 years and 16,000 miles they needed a refresh and i was tired of black.

20200314_212632.jpg

• Like 2

Bigturbomax

A little perspective....i think itll look nice. Left over paint from when i did the wheels on my ST a few years ago. Called graphite. A nice grey metallic.

20200314_213027.jpg

5 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

VERY happy with how that came out!

20200315_093325.jpg

I like that, it adds a little pop to it while not taking away from the bike. 

• Thanks 1

Bigturbomax
4 minutes ago, Devilman said:

I like that, it adds a little pop to it while not taking away from the bike. 

Im VERY tempted to pull my rear sets and paint em the same color...thoughts?

Bigturbomax
21 minutes ago, cruzian3 said:

your boot will wear off the paint eventually.   ask me how I know. 

I was actually concerned about that very thing. I ride pretty often. How long did paint last on yours? And did you lay a heavy clear on em?

4 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Im VERY tempted to pull my rear sets and paint em the same color...thoughts?

I think it would look nice, but I would stop at that. LOL. I was thinking about getting a delete kit to remove them, but my daughter wants to ride on the back this summer. I told her I would but I'm going to buy her gear. ATGATT. LOL. Plus it will give me time to really be used to the abilities of the bike. I just started last April on a Rebel 500, so the MT-07 is a different beast. A lot of fun but I never had a passenger before. Luckily she only weighs a buck and five cents. 😆

• Like 1

There used to be belts which the rider wears with handles for a pillion.

PS  Great combination of bikes. Same as me. So different.

Edited by robbo10

Just do it! 

On 3/15/2020 at 7:41 AM, cruzian3 said:

Installed new chain and sprockets  🤩

20200313_112207.jpg

Mind to share the specs and the website link if any. Been looking for a black chain set for quite some time. 

Bigturbomax

I can only take credit for the idea, my talented wife did all the work. We made a double decker tank bag. Took my old neslon rigg tail bag and removed the straps. The removable map pouch from my cortech tank bag had lost its clear plastic due to sun exposure. It attaches with snaps and velcro and is heavy textile. I cut out all the old sun damaged plastic and my wife neatly sewed the pouch to the bottom of my rigg bag. So now my rigg bag attaches to my cortech back quickly and securely with velcro and snaps doubling my tank bag capacity. They almost look like they were made to work together!

PhotoGrid_1584966251131.jpg

• Like 3

I added a passenger and I went for a riiiiide baby!  Was a good ride up some twistes on 181 in North Carolina. She’s a good passenger and flows well. 

Technically yesterday. 

A0F6E539-7DE7-47E4-87CC-0C28B2E95698.jpeg

• Like 6

Got all my winter stuff pretty much done, few odds and ends and issues to work out however. 
My quick shifter still isn’t working after troubleshooting everything ftecu suggested so ECU is back off to 2WDW to check firmware. Fingers crossed because I am pulling my hair out with this thing. 
Also getting some rear brake drag on newly powdercoated wheel and rotor. I think I am going to have to pull rear wheel and rotor and grind off a little more where rotor mounts to wheel 🤬 since if feels like a warp when trying to free spin the wheel. 
The Robem rear link rose the back end quite a bit and exhaust is real close to swing arm now but should be okay. Have to cut rear hugger/ chasing guard to get it to fit with the new rear height. 
Will post some pics when all done. 

• Like 2

Well I figured out the brake wasn’t dragging, the exhaust can is rubbing on the tire. After installing the Robem Linkage it did what it is supposed to do and increased the swing arm angle considerably. It is a graves exhaust and I need to get it away from the tire and swing arm. 
Problem, I am in no way a fabricator and don’t pretend to be. I contacted @Spatt and he says I need to loosen and move the exhaust all around to get some clearance. Going to try that first. If that doesn’t do it I was going to try and bend stock exhaust can mounting piece away from wheel and swing arm and reattach. @spatt’s response was “oh geeze” 😂

Anybody else have an idea for a at most “hack mechanic”? If not I have a feeling it’s not going to be pretty... TIA

Edit: Shimmed it out today with washers and longer bolt. All set  

51D50CD1-3EA1-4F10-BFF7-E897833C36E5.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

Anybody else have an idea for a at most “hack mechanic”? If not I have a feeling it’s not going to be pretty... TIA

Edit: Shimmed it out today with washers and longer bolt. All set  

Well congratulations! You have graduated to journeyman hack mechAnik. Qualified for any club racing paddock. It's not uncommon to have random little work-arounds and tweeks here and there on a precision piece of machinery like this. The trick is to polish and hide them so no one notices them.

🙄

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

I finished fitting my new S2 concepts number plate headlight cover. This one is for the FZ09 but I liked the looks better than the FZ07 version. It came with nice aluminum brackets, unfortunately they were too large and the wrong angle for the 07.  Modified the top bracket and made a new lower one. I like the look. Going semi-naked again this track season. 

Just gotta paint and add my numbers.

EdDC7F511B-8575-4200-9F5B-9FBB1C26480C.thumb.jpeg.62a60d5d0a494540247f429ccb62a339.jpegE8E32D69-8BA4-4B41-8F54-1CACAFC1208E.thumb.jpeg.59a60b6b2f169d3a311a013869378242.jpeg3CD722DC-D8F4-47DF-82BE-1781EDC4BF8D.thumb.jpeg.944e3d73ef2d98d2b25ad9970fa9b1da.jpeg4DF8FA94-1FC2-46C5-A48E-2B4DA45E3CFC.thumb.jpeg.61fdf4bf3152a36d7b90da20593fb627.jpeg

• Like 3

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Decided to get round to changing my fork oil for something a bit thicker at last (65/35 mix of 15 and 10w Valvoline), didn’t have a suitable stand so made this one out of stuff to hand. Not pretty but worked just fine.

53855BDF-1043-4C8E-A00F-14B0546E659C.jpeg

• Like 3

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Got it out of storage.  Cleaned and lubed the chain, checked tire pressures, and took it out for the first ride of the season.  Thank god winter is finally over. 😁

• Like 3

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

phanomenal07
2 hours ago, TenRacing said:

Cleaned off some unnecessary brackets from the swing arm today.

15854347853895910656533716691922.jpg

I thought they dont make the ttx for the fz?