The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

Well done indeed, fzar.

When my son might have been interested in bikes I had left them behind long before. He developed an interest though and when he flew the nest he bought a Harley 883.  After I returned to biking we became able to ride together, he on my Rebel.  His early investment in riding, like yours in introducing your kids to it, could pay fat dividends in the future. It provides happy memorable times.

Just do it! 

Back to South Mountain a little too late.  Ocotillo are in peak bloom, but everything else has burned out.

May be one of the last beautiful days of the season.

Ocotillo.jpg

BikeOcotillo.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/14/2020 at 10:03 AM, Laben said:

Finally wrapped my liquid grey in cosmic blue :)

bike1.png

Looking good! 👍 Color scheme should've came factory. May need to wrap mine

• Like 3

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, cencalmoto said:

Looking good! 👍 Color scheme should've came factory. May need to wrap mine

I know! I wish i would have done it a lot earlier. I love it.

Hmmm... anyone know the offset of the stock forks? I'm to lazy to take everything apart to measure haha.

Forgot I had these in the loft. Looks like it would be a pretty good fit. 

@mossrider

@blackout

@cornerslider

Figured one of you guys may know the offset off the top of your head. 

Yeah, my phone camera is hooched :D

IMG_20200425_183908178.jpg

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Finished up my front number plate brackets. Too much time on my hands. 8F96D2D9-98A4-4FCA-997C-7E2081F1EB23.thumb.jpeg.a9c7c74826394caaa44a92409fb8bff4.jpeg

• Like 3

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

4 hours ago, mossrider said:

40mm

Thanks! You ruined my day haha! I think the stock Suzi stuff is around 30mm. No easy swap then :(

Finally got my exhaust installed and my ECU back from @2wheeldynoworks this weekend! Man does this bike sound and feel ALIVE! Can't be more happy. Enough said. 

20200426_164540.jpg

• Like 4

Took the FZ out for a nice first ride after installing a new air filter, Akra Carbon exhaust & 2WDW ecu flash! I’ve had this bike for four years now all stock and these changes make the bike feel new again!!! Super happy with all the products and service from 2WDW. Going to put on new bars next!

FB0EDEB9-221A-4479-AF39-E9C095859752.jpeg

• Like 3

Finally got to washing and waxing my bike today. She looks great now and slick as a baby's bottom. LOL. Hopefully I'll receive my Akrapovic Titanium exhaust to make her look and sound even better  

IMG-0964.jpg

• Like 7

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Devilman said:

Hopefully I'll receive my Akrapovic Titanium exhaust to make her look and sound even better  

You'll love it. Take the DB killer out.If thats your thing.

41 minutes ago, fzar said:

You'll love it. Take the DB killer out.If thats your thing.

I'll have to hear it in person. I have a TBR exhaust on my Rebel 500 and can be annoying on long drives. Plus I don't want to be "that Guy" in the neighborhood. LOL

InsaneDawe
5 hours ago, Devilman said:

Finally got to washing and waxing my bike today. She looks great now and slick as a baby's bottom. LOL. 

Don't remind me, I haven't washed my bike in weeks. Just keep riding it through the rain and dirt of Chicago spring. My excuse is that it's too cold.

Edited by InsaneDawe
  • Haha 1

shinyribs
On 4/28/2020 at 8:32 PM, Mechie said:

Partly done with her new wrap color. 

BB6FB355-67B3-4C22-BD92-30520136EC21.jpeg

That it's sharp looking! I absolutely love that. Where did you wrap come from? 

shinyribs

Stuck CBR600F3 cartridge assemblies in to my factory lowers. Extremely easy conversion, but there is a cosmetic con. Will share more info as the project develops. But I'm pretty stoked for now!

Externally adjustable for preload and rebound. Fully tunable cartridge system pirated from a $75 pair of forks. Had to drill and tap one hole to do the conversion. 

IMG_20200501_212919407.jpg

• Like 7

Bigturbomax
5 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Stuck CBR600F3 cartridge assemblies in to my factory lowers. Extremely easy conversion, but there is a cosmetic con. Will share more info as the project develops. But I'm pretty stoked for now!

Externally adjustable for preload and rebound. Fully tunable cartridge system pirated from a $75 pair of forks. Had to drill and tap one hole to do the conversion. 

IMG_20200501_212919407.jpg

I ABSOLUTELY want to know more about this project. What did you have to tap? Also, what's the cosmetic con?

Edited by Bigturbomax
  • Like 2

Given the current Circuit Breaker situation, haven't been riding at all.

Managed to find some time to move the dash forward while keeping the fly screen in place, and re-positioned the Quadlock phone mount, as well as the front bike camera. Will find time to ride it around to see anything falls out. :P

Next up would be connecting the aux plug to SAE cable, for future expansion in charging (USB/cig mount)

Edited by mtb2104

9 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Looks great! You have more skill than me. I wrapped some interior parts in my car and that was a pain. I got it but any imperfections kicked in my OCD. LOL.

shinyribs
8 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

I ABSOLUTELY want to know more about this project. What did you have to tap? Also, what's the cosmetic con?

I'll give more detailed info as things progress, if it pans out. Just got back from a 2hr test rip. Things are looking very good, but there's some harshness at low speeds I don't like  There's no denying this is a conversion to a sport bike cartridge system - the faster and harder you push, the smoother it feels. 

The goal for this is both comfort and handling, and something anyone can do at home with simple tools for $100-200. Right now the comfort is wee touch on the harsh side at city speeds, but it's fantastic at speed. I'm 220lbs butt naked, and I ride in full gear, so I'm having to take my weight in to consideration as well. Initial sag numbers are looking good, but I'm heading out to the shop to do some fine tuning and then another test loop. 

But to answer your question, you have to drill/tap the base valve of the new cartridge system that's going in. Nothing gets altered on the stock parts and it's fully reversible. 

The cosmetic con may a be plus to some guys ( for various reasons), so I'll address that when everything's settled in and I do a bit of a write up on it all. But the stock fork lowers, wheel, brakes and fender just slap back on like factory. We're just taking the sliders off the stock forks and bolting them in place of other sliders. It's that easy. If you can change fork seals, you can do this conversion.

Suspension is much less complicated than many think!

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 4

shinyribs

I decided against  doing any tuning to the cartridge insert as far as playing with shims. Just did a simple fluid change in the attempt to keep this swap as basic as possible. I'm very happy with the results. I'm gonna get a buddy I know ( rides track, I trust his judgement) to ride my bike and give me his feedback. Figured that would be a good approach to make sure I'm not wearing my rose colored glasses :) 

• Like 3

On 5/2/2020 at 1:28 AM, shinyribs said:

It’s 3m 1080 wrap. Just bought a 3x5ft piece on eBay. 

86D9D943-38B9-45DF-8FCD-A94E5C7762F2.jpeg

• Thanks 1