The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

0806161718b_zpskvtg85j8.jpg 
Just finished installing a Nitron R3 shock.  I will try it out tomorrow.
That looks like a clean install. Will you do a review of the shock after some miles with it? Considering it an would like to know what others think.

• Premium Member
So I should return the resistor to Revzilla and then do what? 
Thanks for all the info guys!!
Hook up those lights and simply swap out the stock relay for the CustomLED relay. Done! 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

Finally finished wrenching!  Well just about anyway...

After spending hours trying to get the connector off the gear position switch yesterday I gave up, and started fresh this morning.

Went into it with a clear head and a good night's sleep.

Not only did I manage to get that done and replace the switch, but I also did the o-ring, contact post and spring, new spark plugs, and the HealTech Quickshifter.

The HealTeh Quickshifter is ridiculously simple.  It'll take more time trying to unplug the connectors from the coils than it will to do everything else.  Luckily, I had my connectors apart because I was doing new spark plugs anyway.

The wiring harness came out great for the quickshifter.  It's tucked away and routed just like factory...you don't even know it's there.

There are two ways to install the strain gauge.  One is under the shift rod (up shifting only), and the other is on the pinch bolt on the shift arm (for clutchless upshifts AND downshifts).

I chose the pinch bolt on the shift arm because it's easier, plus my shift rod is too long and would require me to cut it slightly.  I'm no stranger to using a Dremel, but I figured I'd try the shift arm pinch bolt first.  The bonus being easier to install, you don't even see it, and you get clutchless downshift also.  Not that I care about clutchless downshifting, but with the soon to be installed slipper clutch, it might be beneficial :)

All I have left is to download the app and and set it up via Bluetooth.  I'll do that tomorrow as it was getting late.  After that, I throw in the new air filter, put the plastics on, and do a quick test run.

Then it goes to the shop for some dyno tuning for the new filter, ceramic bearing shift arm, rear suspension link, and slipper clutch ;)

While it's there I'll put it on a headlift stand and measure for new brake lines when using the Woodcraft 1.5 in risers in the down position for a super tailored fit.

I want to change mine to a true 2-line front, instead of the single line with crossover ala OEM.  Should have slightly better feel at the lever, and it'll look better too  My Goodrich lines are from the FZ-09 because no one made an FZ-07 specific kit when I did them, and the crossover line is slightly too long, giving a squared appearance vs hugging the fender like OEM.

Yeah yeah, I know...this post is worthless without pics, so...

EKEdAqvh.jpg
nlHuzUbh.jpg

:)

- Paulie

• Like 5

• Global Moderator
After spending hours trying to get the connector off the gear position switch yesterday I gave up, and started fresh this morning.

Not only did I manage to get that done and replace the switch, but I also did the o-ring, contact post and spring, new spark plugs, and the HealTech Quickshifter.

The HealTeh Quickshifter is ridiculously simple.  It'll take more time trying to unplug the connectors from the coils than it will to do everything else.  Luckily, I had my connectors apart because I was doing new spark plugs anyway.

The wiring harness came out great for the quickshifter.  It's tucked away and routed just like factory...you don't even know it's there.

There are two ways to install the strain gauge.  One is under the shift rod (up shifting only), and the other is on the pinch bolt on the shift arm (for clutchless upshifts AND downshifts).

I chose the pinch bolt on the shift arm because it's easier, plus my shift rod is too long and would require me to cut it slightly.  I'm no stranger to using a Dremel, but I figured I'd try the shift arm pinch bolt first.  The bonus being easier to install, you don't even see it, and you get clutchless downshift also.  Not that I care about clutchless downshifting, but with the soon to be installed slipper clutch, it might be beneficial :)

All I have left is to download the app and and set it up via Bluetooth.  I'll do that tomorrow as it was getting late.  After that, I throw in the new air filter, put the plastics on, and do a quick test run.

Then it goes to the shop for some dyno tuning for the new filter, ceramic bearing shift arm, and slipper clutch ;)

While it's there I'll put it on a headlift stand and measure for new brake lines when using the Woodcraft 1.5 in risers in the down position for a super tailored fit.

I want to change mine to a true 2-line front, instead of the single line with crossover ala OEM.  Should have slightly better feel at the lever, and it'll look better too  My Goodrich lines are from the FZ-09 because no one made an FZ-07 specific kit when I did them, and the crossover line is slightly too long, giving a squared appearance vs hugging the fender like OEM.

EKEdAqvh.jpg
nlHuzUbh.jpg

- Paulie
Well shit somebody needs to shave...
And possibly a new trash can put too much garbage on the floor there for my liking

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Then it goes to the shop for some dyno tuning for the new filter, ceramic bearing shift arm, and slipper clutch ;)

- Paulie
Well Shet somebody needs to shave... And possibly a new trash can put too much garbage on the floor there for my liking

HA Who's got time to shave/shower with all of that going on? I think Paulie sleeps out there, just grabs his wrench roll pillow and snuggles up in a tarp with that bike.  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator
Well Shet somebody needs to shave... And possibly a new trash can put too much garbage on the floor there for my liking

HA Who's got time to shave/shower with all of that going on? I think Paulie sleeps out there, just grabs his wrench roll pillow and snuggles up in a tarp with that bike.
Nah... the bike.is his second love... the laguna seca video is hos first
  • Like 1

I have the ELFR-1 Relay from custom LED as well and can confirm it is amazing. Also today I put the SW-Motech Center stand on my bike, and it is also amazing. Look for a how-to video coming soon. 
rwhT51d.jpg
Is that the bk moto headlight?
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
panchobullet

I was getting Dark-Y ready for her first ride carrying a "back pack" as my "boss" (a.k.a Wife) and I need to go visit some houses as we will be moving by EOY and my car is now officially dead after insurance company declared it as total loss (but that's another story) 

So, needed to put rear passenger pegs back on and finally also installed the awesome looking Rizoma rear spools (gold) into the amazing Gilles Tooling chain adjuster I got from @bellissimoto not long ago. 

[attachment id=2103" thumbnail="1]

- Pancho

• Like 1

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

• Premium Member
Well shet somebody needs to shave... 
And possibly a new trash can put too much garbage on the floor there for my liking

Lol, you guys are too funny. @sorkyah is right though, the garage is out of control right now. Tools and stuff everywhere. I've been trying to get the bike done for a week now but something always came up. Either waiting on parts, had to buy tools/supplies, or it just got too hot out to finish, so I'd just leave everything out until I started back up again the next day :)

The tool roll pillow is a great idea though @mrpuss!

And @sorkyah, I haven't even touched the Laguna Video. After I finished the intro, I moved on to other things...too many projects in the mix at the moment, and to add to them, I think I just bought a Ducati ;)

- Paulie
  • Like 2

• Global Moderator
Well shet somebody needs to shave... 

Lol, you guys are too funny. @sorkyah is right though, the garage is out of control right now. Tools and stuff everywhere. I've been trying to get the bike done for a week now but something always came up. Either waiting on parts, had to buy tools/supplies, or it just got too hot out to finish, so I'd just leave everything out until I started back up again the next day :)

The tool roll pillow is a great idea though @mrpuss!

And @sorkyah, I haven't even touched the Laguna Video. After I finished the intro, I moved on to other things...too many projects in the mix at the moment, and to add to them, I think I just bought a Ducati ;)

- Paulie
Traitor....
getting a duc over the FZ-10?

• Premium Member
Traitor.... getting a duc over the FZ-10?

Lol. I'm not getting rid of my FZ-07...and the Duc is far from new. It's a great example of what it is though, and they are getting harder to find good examples. This one was well taken care of, we know the history of it for the last 3 years, and it rides great with no issues.

It's a 2007 Monster S4RS. Arguably the best monster ever made. Has the 999 Superbike motor in it as standard, as well as full Ohlins, Brembo's etc.

I've been wanting a second bike now for a while. It was either the R3 or the R1, but my heart always comes back to naked bikes...and turning them into naked racebikes.

The S4RS fits this bill perfectly, and what I like about it is that it hasn't been molested...it's stock except for exhaust and levers and some other small bits. Even still has the stock blinkers on it.

Figured I could use it for general riding, and when my other projects are finished, I'll build this one.

Here's what a stock one looks like, and here's what the Paolo Tex version looks like...

Stock Monster S4RS:

[attachment id=2104" thumbnail="1]

Paolo Tex Monster

[attachment id=2105" thumbnail="1]

Anyway, back to FZ-07 stuff...

- Paulie

• Like 1

Guest ChicagoAJ

@pgeldz - Was that picture pre/post plug install and did you do it without moving the tank? That's the route I'm going when I have to replace mine, I'm only moving the tank if it's absolutely necessary. I love that Monster by the way - a dealer out by me has a 2014 Monster 1200 for under 10k.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcd/5686389694.html

I'm tempted to pick up another bike too but after the test ride of it, I just wasn't impressed enough. I'm sure yours will be absolutely nuts after you get started on it. 

• Premium Member
@pgeldz - Was that picture pre/post plug install and did you do it without moving the tank? That's the route I'm going when I have to replace mine, I'm only moving the tank if it's absolutely necessary. I love that Monster by the way - a dealer out by me has a 2014 Monster 1200 for under 10k.  

I'm tempted to pick up another bike too but after the test ride of it, I just wasn't impressed enough. I'm sure yours will be absolutely nuts after you get started on it. 
That was post plug install.  You do have to remove to the tank to get to the plugs, but for some reason I couldn't figure out how to remove the fuel hose from the bottom of the tank (dang fittings) so I unplugged everything else, left the fuel line in place, and just rotated the tank 90 degrees and propped it up on the frame where the front of the seat would go.  It stayed put and the fuel line wasn't pinched so I was able to do the plugs without actually having to move the tank from the bike. 
As for the Monster like I said, I wasn't planning on it, but it's hard to find a good unmolested example of the S4RS and the price was too good to be true.  When I saw what you could do with the Paolo Tex stuff, I was sold.  It's like those concept bikes you never see produced, but this one WAS actually produced.  I already have a vision and did some renderings...if it comes out half as good as my crappy photoshops, I'll be excited, LoL.

It'll be a WHILE before I get started on that tho.

The FZ still CONSUMES me, LoL!

- Paulie

Guest ChicagoAJ

That was post plug install.  You do have to remove to the tank to get to the plugs, but for some reason I couldn't figure out how to remove the fuel hose from the bottom of the tank (dang fittings) so I unplugged everything else, left the fuel line in place, and just rotated the tank 90 degrees and propped it up on the frame where the front of the seat would go.  It stayed put and the fuel line wasn't pinched so I was able to do the plugs without actually having to move the tank from the bike. 
As for the Monster like I said, I wasn't planning on it, but it's hard to find a good unmolested example of the S4RS and the price was too good to be true.  When I saw what you could do with the Paolo Tex stuff, I was sold.  It's like those concept bikes you never see produced, but this one WAS actually produced.  I already have a vision and did some renderings...if it comes out half as good as my crappy photoshops, I'll be excited, LoL.

It'll be a WHILE before I get started on that tho.

The FZ still CONSUMES me, LoL!

- Paulie
Congrats on the new bike, hope it gets a lot of road time.  
As for removing the tank, someone here has done it without even touching the tank so I'll take you saying I have to as a challenge! Hope @bellissimoto can sell me new parts when I wreck everything, haha. 

• Premium Member

Lol. You can probably do t without removing the tank, but it'll be twice as hard, may require tools I didn't have, and I'm certain my hands would have taken a beating.

And yes, we can sort you out if you need parts...lets just hope it's because you want to upgrade, and not upgrade because of a wreck :)

- Paulie

I have the ELFR-1 Relay from custom LED as well and can confirm it is amazing. Also today I put the SW-Motech Center stand on my bike, and it is also amazing. Look for a how-to video coming soon. 
rwhT51d.jpg
Is that the bk moto headlight?
Nope. A custom one I made. You can see the entire build here.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
0806161718b_zpskvtg85j8.jpg 
Just finished installing a Nitron R3 shock.  I will try it out tomorrow.
That looks like a clean install. Will you do a review of the shock after some miles with it? Considering it an would like to know what others think.
I will.  The fit and finish on the shock is awesome.  I like the fact that it comes with a remote reservoir mount just for the FZ-07.  The install went super smooth and the shock is definitely better than stock as far as ride quality.  I still need to play with settings for the street.  I won't make it to the track until next spring most likely.  I have zero experience tracking bikes, but it is something I want to get into with this bike.  I'll post something on the suspension section in a few days as stuff gets lost here.
  • Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

What color rim tape is that? I've got the Liquid Graphite also and can't decide what color looks best on those wheels.
It is this rim tape. Insanely reflective. Had the Yamaha dealer head mechanic ask me where I got it when he saw it in the building shop and the rims were lit up from the ambient light coming from the garage door 100 feet away. I would recommend. It isn't an exact color match though. It is a lighter shade of blue. But honestly I think it looks really good because it offsets the color of the rims, and creates a contrast. 

• Premium Member
What color rim tape is that? I've got the Liquid Graphite also and can't decide what color looks best on those wheels.
It is this rim tape. Insanely reflective. Had the Yamaha dealer head mechanic ask me where I got it when he saw it in the building shop and the rims were lit up from the ambient light coming from the garage door 100 feet away. I would recommend. It isn't an exact color match though. It is a lighter shade of blue. But honestly I think it looks really good because it offsets the color of the rims, and creates a contrast. 
That looks awesome! What size did you get? 

Why can't left turners see us?

That looks awesome! What size did you get?
Thanks. 17"

Guest ChicagoAJ
I've got yet another stupid question. I just got my CRG Arrow bar end mirrors. I'm thinking I need the adapters to make them work. I've also got LighTech bar ends on my bike right now. Do I take these off and put the factory bar ends back on? Or do I go without bar ends all together? I read somewhere that the mirrors won't work even with the CRG adapters. Anyone have experience with these?
This is why I haven't gotten bar end mirrors yet, seems like everyone runs into issues, lol!

• Premium Member

The CRGs will attach perfectly to the Renthal bar ends, but I have Renthal bars too. The Renthal bar ends come with a sleeve for a range of bar sizes, so they might fit stock as well, but I haven't verified that.

Why can't left turners see us?

Guest ChicagoAJ
I don't understand. So in order for the CRGs to work, you have to have some kind of bar ends? Whether they be OEM or aftermarket? Let's say I have the OEM bar ends on. Does the adapter take the place of them or does the adapter work in conjunction with the OEM bar ends? When do I need the adapter? Only when I have an aftermarket bar end?  
I am officially pissed off.
From what I understand you need an adapter when you're adding just about any bar end mirror. Each company seems to make their own bar end to replace the stock one. However, you can mix and match and I've seen that RhinoMoto bar ends are the most commonly used but sometimes they don't work right with every application and need a sleeve or collar on the threaded portion so they don't screw in far enough to make the throttle tube stick open. However, I've not done bar end mirrors or adapters or anything - so someone might be able to explain it a bit better. 

• Premium Member
phicurious86
I don't understand. So in order for the CRGs to work, you have to have some kind of bar ends? Whether they be OEM or aftermarket? Let's say I have the OEM bar ends on. Does the adapter take the place of them or does the adapter work in conjunction with the OEM bar ends? When do I need the adapter? Only when I have an aftermarket bar end?  
I am officially pissed off.
CRGs will fit the stock bar ends if you do some modding. There are threads around the forum describing this process - http://fz07.org/thread/4745/diy-mirror-adapters-using-ends 
The other option is to purchase some Rhinomoto bar ends that are built to accept CRG mirrors. See - http://www.solomotoparts.com/RhinoMoto-Bar-End-Slider-for-Threaded-Mirror-Mount-for-FZ1-6-6R-01-13/