The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
Very nice! The clip-ons don't look as low as I was expecting. Any chance you could get a squared-up shot of the side profile of the bike? Quality is unimportant, I would just like to get a better feel of the grip position.  
Also... In regards to the throttle "sticking" it's not uncommon to have that happen when you put new bars/clip-ons on. You can often fix it by re-adjusting the throttle cable tension at the motor (macro adjustment) then fine tune via the in-line adjuster near the grip. Seems like you got it all sorted out though. Again, looks nice!
That won't be a problem, but it won't be until I get home. I'll put it up on a stand for you.  
Thanks for the kind words, she's slowly coming along. 

fooschnickens
Damn I have been averaging between 35-40mpg with a full exhaust/EJK. 
If I ever do an exhaust (which I should considering they're relatively cheap compared to car exhausts), I'm curious to see how my economy would go. Most likely down but I wonder if I'd fall out of the 60s.
Without a fuel controller and full exhaust I'm still seeing high 50s around town, nearly 60 with mostly highway riding. I'm also not wringing the piss out of it (well, not all the time) so that probably goes a long way, too.  

• Premium Member
Very nice! The clip-ons don't look as low as I was expecting. Any chance you could get a squared-up shot of the side profile of the bike? Quality is unimportant, I would just like to get a better feel of the grip position.  
Also... In regards to the throttle "sticking" it's not uncommon to have that happen when you put new bars/clip-ons on. You can often fix it by re-adjusting the throttle cable tension at the motor (macro adjustment) then fine tune via the in-line adjuster near the grip. Seems like you got it all sorted out though. Again, looks nice!
Looking good! 
I got to agree with aeisan tho...clip-ons don't look as low as I expected either.  Would love to see some other shots when you get a chance.  Especially from a head on view, in front of the bike looking at the headlight :)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
Looking good! 
I got to agree with aeisan tho...clip-ons don't look as low as I expected either.  Would love to see some other shots when you get a chance.  Especially from a head on view, in front of the bike looking at the headlight :)

- Paulie

@aeisan

I am absolutely horrible at taking pictures. Unfortunately there's not a place where the background would be less distracting. Does this help at all?

20150706_184614.jpg
20150706_184545.jpg

I agree with you both, caught a reflection of myself on a building riding from the gym today and I don't look nearly as aggressive as I thought. The posture which I thought would take some getting used to, feels normal now and it's only my 3rd/4th time on the bike.

Paulie, I'll get some straight on shots for you; I am not used to photographing bikes at all. Don't you have a set en route? Were you going to install and decide which set you like more?

mounties2591

I took the warning sticker off the tank and without thinking got sticker remover all over my air scoop which faded it horribly. Now I don't know if I should pay a lot to replace it or plastidip the air scoops black. Suggestions?

• Like 1

fooschnickens

Ordered all my LED goodies to swap out my front turn signals. Now to wait for the slow boat from China to arrive...

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

tested the limits of speed, in a 45mph zone, at roughly 45mph. had to take side streets for almost 70 miles today accidents on the freeway caused massive delays.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Paulie, I'll get some straight on shots for you; I am not used to photographing bikes at all. Don't you have a set en route? Were you going to install and decide which set you like more?
Thank you Sir.  Straight on shots would be great! 
I was going to install, but I'd rather see the pics first.  As far as height goes, the SB bars are just about in line with the split in the clamps.  I'm trying to see where the Woodcrafts are positioned compared to that :)

I'm on the fence on this one, because if they are similar, I'll stay with the SB bars as they provide a better mounting place for my GoPro :)

- Paulie

suspiciouspackage

Filled up after a ride back from Banning (filled up there before I left) and a ride to work. 2.5gal exactly and 65mpg!

dreadykrueger

Had my suspension adjusted (with the little adjustment one can do with the factory suspension) and cleaned and lubed the chain for my trip down to Galveston tomorrow

• Premium Member
Finally got the confounded baffles out of the exhaust. Had to bodge together our own puller setup using a sturdy wire coat hanger, a tie strap and a loaner BMW 320i at my friend's house. Hooked the hanger through the vent holes on the inside of the baffle, tied the strap around the spokes of the wheel of the BMW, hooked the other end around the hanger and then played tug of war. Each one popped out with two SOLID tugs. I doubt they'll ever go back in, not that it really matters.
My first thought when reading this was......this dude has got to be from the south....Aaand then I saw "Georgia". (rofl) :D;)

• Premium Member
I took the warning sticker off the tank and without thinking got sticker remover all over my air scoop which faded it horribly. Now I don't know if I should pay a lot to replace it or plastidip the air scoops black. Suggestions?
Just purchase the intake grate covers...gonna cost you $40 though.  

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
I was going to install, but I'd rather see the pics first.  As far as height goes, the SB bars are just about in line with the split in the clamps.  I'm trying to see where the Woodcrafts are positioned compared to that :)

I'm on the fence on this one, because if they are similar, I'll stay with the SB bars as they provide a better mounting place for my GoPro :)

- Paulie
Right on, I'll photograph it tonight with some cleaner shots after work and throw them up.  
Not a big deal but I am of the female variety  :)

truthiness
If I ever do an exhaust (which I should considering they're relatively cheap compared to car exhausts), I'm curious to see how my economy would go. Most likely down but I wonder if I'd fall out of the 60s.
Without a fuel controller and full exhaust I'm still seeing high 50s around town, nearly 60 with mostly highway riding. I'm also not wringing the piss out of it (well, not all the time) so that probably goes a long way, too.

Filled up after a ride back from Banning (filled up there before I left) and a ride to work. 2.5gal exactly and 65mpg!
60 - 65 MPG is nice, but I need to enjoy riding the thing.  I get between 40-50 depending on a few things, and the fact that I can ride in a spirited manner and still pull those numbers is a pretty sweet bonus.  What are your shift points and throttle % to get the fuel mileage so high?

- Paulie
Right on, I'll photograph it tonight with some cleaner shots after work and throw them up.  
I'm just catching up, work has been hectic the past week...  As I'm reading through, I spotted the "sir" ha... I almost said something but you beat me to it.   
Thanks for the pics.  That side shot is what I wanted to see.  They may not be as low as I was expecting, but did look lower in that pic than I originally thought.  They also look more forward than I thought.  

Nice stand by the way; I have the same one and love it.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
Well, my most anticipated mods are finally on. They're not great pictures but you'll get the idea: Driven rearsets & Woodcraft clip-ons (1.5 inch adapters, installed "down") 
20150705_153928.jpg
20150705_140602.jpg
20150705_153938.jpg

This is my first bike so I had no clue how install was going to go, just started taking things apart. As expected nothing out of the ordinary but I did manage to make some rookie mistakes. On the clipons:
1. Didn't realize there were 3 anti-rotation nubs, only drilled 2 discovered the third (throttle cable casing) after everything was re-installed on.
2. Drilled the 3rd hole in the wrong location, I had put everything back together and in testing the throttle realized it wouldn't return to position after twist. My lack of knowledge made this troubleshooting last a lot longer than needed. But it wasn't clear to me why this was occurring, I was under the initial impression that I had botched the reassembly and there's probably some truth to that though I come to find out it was the angle at which the drilled hole was forcing the throttle cable to not provide the proper slack/tension to create the "close" movement. So I positioned the cable casing naturally, and re-drilled another hole. BAM. Problem gone. 

Rearsets:
Nothing really to say here, it's a very simple process. Rear brake side had more components because of the master cylinder and with the Driven rearsets, I had to remove the rear brake light switch. Shifter side was easier, it only took a moment of adjustment to fine tune the shifting travel, fiddling with the angle of the top connector. For the record, I'm around 5' 8.5" and I have the pegs set furthest up and back. There's a chance that I may adjust the shifter/rear brake peg back one slot, I have smaller feet and on a couple occasions have missed the shifter/rear brake. I'll give it a few more rides to see if it's just a matter of adjusting to the new position. 

Post install:
I've ridden it twice (once to test-ride second being my commute) and holy cow, what a difference. It's everything I expected and yeah, it feels great despite being more back intensive. I'm heading up to Orange County (a little over an hour ride) this coming weekend so it'll be interesting to see how I feel and how many breaks I'll need through the journey. Haven't had the opportunity to take it through many curves but the few that I ran, it's hard to put into words how it felt besides you feel more confident and more engaged. 

Pure Awesomeness. Nice looking bike and it's a mod I am thinking about. 
Two asides.. One, I had thought about simply moving the stock bar back for similar reasons, but it probably wouldn't give me enough of what I want, and that brings me to #2 which I was very annoyed to discover today when working on MY bike.

The damn switch sets on both sides, as you mentioned have (safety?) tabs that fit into holes that removes any chance of adjusting rotations and "in and out" adjustments unless you remove the tabs or drill new holes. Why couldn't they have just made it grippy and over-engineered to not get loose. I like my levers high and my controls twisted forward. Ain't gonna happen, yet, at least at the same time, because one thing gets in the way of the other which seems completely unecessary.

Anyhow, sweet looking mod and it seems to do what my instincts were telling me, move the bars forward and perhaps down a hair. You put yours down farther than I was thinking to, but I like it.

I was thinking about rear sets as well, but I really like the super-moto like ability to sort of stand up and ride it like a dirt bike over rough stuff (or more likely just press more weight with my legs without actually standing for most stuff) so I wouldn't want to go too far back.

Let us know how you like it after the trip.

Databyter
  • Like 2

Databyter

• Premium Member
A few people are bugging me to do this too. I don't even see it because I am so focused on other stuff but I do want to get it off. 
Regarding your air scoops, do you mean the grill material?

How about spraypaint? If you use something high quality with the appropriate gloss/matte that is all weather it should hold up fairly well. 

The only thing is how to prep it, then again, maybe that's exactly what you did?

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
tested the limits of speed, in a 45mph zone, at roughly 45mph. had to take side streets for almost 70 miles today accidents on the freeway caused massive delays.
I've been splitting lately because my commutes are almost always terrible stop and go at certain parts. 
I have my own rules though. I only do it when traffic is stopped or really slow. If it's cruising along at 35 then so am I.

And when I split I keep my relative speed in check for the most part. If I get a more aggresive biker behind me, I let him buy, and sometimes follow him/her/them since that's a bit safer.

The main thing for me is to keep moving. I don't need to be going 80, but I hate going 15.

Surface streets are definitly an option too, especially when I am not in the mood to split.

Databyter
  • Like 2

Databyter

• Premium Member

OK, today I installed my CRG RC2 levers which are AWESOME. I was a bit annoyed to find that I couldn't move the switch sets where I wanted to (yet) but overall it's an improvement. I also installed my new License plate (stock setup) and put my registration in the watertight under the seat.
Then I adjusted the mirrors because I had to move some stuff around to get the levers right, and adjusted play on both sides, and adjusted the rear brake again to be even more aggresive. Don't worry I don't ride it, I just like it to be there.

I was all excited about my windshield shipping (an email told me) but apparently it's riding along in the same Sherpa caravan with my bag mounting kit as it's been over a week and it still hasn't moved in tracking.

I bought a good torque wrench and I am waiting for that to arrive before I do my sliders. Too bad that stuff is soo damn slow to arrive, because as mentioned I dropped the bike once when I put my foot in a hole. I don't plan on it again, but it seems like everything I ever want or need for this project is backordered and out of stock or pre-order only.

Databyter

• Like 1

Databyter

suspiciouspackage
60 - 65 MPG is nice, but I need to enjoy riding the thing.  I get between 40-50 depending on a few things, and the fact that I can ride in a spirited manner and still pull those numbers is a pretty sweet bonus.  What are your shift points and throttle % to get the fuel mileage so high? 

Shift points are usually around 5k at 50% throttle. Doesn't require much to get away from cars at a stop light. I did some douchey riding today with a bunch of high revs and a 112mph run so let's see how it affects next fillup.

I got a job so I can afford to buy her nice things. Wont start until August though.
I still have to install Wicked's rear LEDs and buy a phone mount.

• Premium Member

So I yelled at someone the other day and realized they could hear me lol

I was waiting for someone to turn right and traffic was thick, they were waiting for room for the Titanic to merge in and I yelled " Move your Fing Azz" their window was open and I realized they herd me. (rofl) They merged right away.

• Like 2

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

@pgeldz

20150708_171240.jpg

20150708_171248.jpg

@databyter

The thought of shaving off the nubs did cross my mind, maybe you could lay some grippy material around the bar to help secure it in place of it? At the end of the day, I take everything as a learning opportunity and try not to cut corners unless it's the better alternative.

I'm assuming you aren't in San Diego? If you were I'd let you take the bike for a spin to see how it feels. It's a welcomed change for me, like I mentioned in an earlier post it makes me feel more engaged as opposed to being more laid back/comfortable. The great thing about the clip-ons are that they have essentially two positions; an 'up' and a 'down' if you install it in the up position it'll lower the bar, but not as aggressively as what you see in the pictures.

This picture may help, that's sitting in the 'up' position. Flip the rig on its head and bam, down position.
F29071436.jpg

Pretty neat option for those with fickle minds :)

• Like 4

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
I'm just catching up, work has been hectic the past week...  As I'm reading through, I spotted the "sir" ha... I almost said something but you beat me to it.   
Thanks for the pics.  That side shot is what I wanted to see.  They may not be as low as I was expecting, but did look lower in that pic than I originally thought.  They also look more forward than I thought.  

Nice stand by the way; I have the same one and love it.  
I LOVE the stand, makes putting the bike up by yourself so easy. Glad the pictures helped. Now if only someone in SD had the m1 bars for me to try out.......... 
(OT: You see how they blew up the Blazers in the off-season?? Daaaaammmn. I'm excited for a new era and wish LA the best. Congrats on signing Marc and it seems like Conley plans on sticking around too? He's so underrated IMHO, always been one of my favs)

fooschnickens
Finally got the confounded baffles out of the exhaust. Had to bodge together our own puller setup using a sturdy wire coat hanger, a tie strap and a loaner BMW 320i at my friend's house. Hooked the hanger through the vent holes on the inside of the baffle, tied the strap around the spokes of the wheel of the BMW, hooked the other end around the hanger and then played tug of war. Each one popped out with two SOLID tugs. I doubt they'll ever go back in, not that it really matters.
My first thought when reading this was......this dude has got to be from the south....Aaand then I saw "Georgia". (rofl) :D;)

Hey now, we're getting sophisticated, at least.  
I could have used an old Bronco or tractor instead of a sports car :P

• Like 1