The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

7 hours ago, Laben said:

I've been looking for a white paneled blurple frame for a while now. IMO this looks wicked compared to the liquid graphite. Have you thought about buying panels instead of wrapping them?

I did throw around the idea of buying panels but decided to try out a non oem color. It's hard to see in the photos but it's a satin white with a little bit of pearlescense. 20180817_103158.thumb.jpg.07a7c1d3b25f7bb3aa2e301e087ebb5a.jpg 

4 hours ago, mints said:

Give it a few tries bud youll see how easily viny is. Make sure you have a blow dryer on hand. That helps work the vinyl around sharper corners. and always buy a bigger piece than you estimated. I always measure than add about 25% 

I did have a heatgun handy during the process. I chalk this first go as practice. I agree that the best way to learn is to try it out. My second panel I wrapped has far less blemishes than the first one! Next time I'm thinking a dark satin blue from a different company beside 3m just to see how the vinyl differs. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, paypurcup said:

I did have a heatgun handy during the process. I chalk this first go as practice. I agree that the best way to learn is to try it out. My second panel I wrapped has far less blemishes than the first one! Next time I'm thinking a dark satin blue from a different company beside 3m just to see how the vinyl differs. 

Thats the spirit! Haha Avery is another good brand. Metrostyling has a good selection of brands and prints. Ill probably wrap mine eventually but I just like the silver/blurple combo so much. Get so many compliments on it. 

• Like 1

'16 FZ-07 Matte Silver/Blurple
Instagram:Mintsopoulos

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

What type of windscreen is that?  It looks good and looks like it would work well.

National Cycle VStream Sport. I like it, it does work well for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, paypurcup said:

I did throw around the idea of buying panels but decided to try out a non oem color. It's hard to see in the photos but it's a satin white with a little bit of pearlescense. 20180817_103158.thumb.jpg.07a7c1d3b25f7bb3aa2e301e087ebb5a.jpg 

That helmet looks skits!

• Thanks 1

CRG Shorty levers finally arrived, much better feel over stock. Threw on a Sub-Cowl and Fly screen as well.

IMG_7590.thumb.jpg.847d2ad0669c7368529e3d356d253d91.jpgIMG_7594.thumb.jpg.62a0ae2c66d939423df24f86b1e156b1.jpg

• Like 4

• Global Moderator
9 hours ago, paypurcup said:

the 2015 white was a pearlescent white

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
46 minutes ago, paypurcup said:

It sure is, but it's not satin! 

true, i missed that part

Built myself a new headlight grill after losing the last one somewhere in BFE colorado (And my partner built me an extra one, because he apparently also likes getting stabbed by chicken wire and wanted to join in).

My bike looked so incomplete without it. I mean, it's also functional, since it catches a lot of bugs and rocks (CoughAndBirdsCough), but mostly, I only use these to make it look more zombie apocalypse, haha

39539007_452590248559054_6345527284614561792_o.jpg

• Like 4

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

Installed Yoshimura exhaust, center stand and voltmeter. Already installed 10w driving lights, Yamaha windshield with deflector, mirror extenders, accessory socket and tail bag.

nw side.jpg

mt nw dis.jpg

Edited by Yamaoldster
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Yamaoldster said:

Installed Yoshimura exhaust, center stand and voltmeter. Already installed 10w driving lights, Yamaha windshield with deflector, mirror extenders, accessory socket and tail bag.

nw side.jpg

mt nw dis.jpg

Do you have a link to the windshield deflector?  I have the same Yamaha Sportscreen but will only be using it for trips and an extentender/deflector would be great. 

Instagram: @jayparrington 

Search this on Amazon or ebay, there's different sizes and tints. There is also a cheap Chinese knock off which I just received to install on another bike, looks like the high dollar one but you can tell not built to the same standards but I think it will do the same job.

MRA X-Creen Sport XCSA Univ. Add-On Adjustable Air Deflector Flip Spoiler CLEAR

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, zombiphone said:

Built myself a new headlight grill after losing the last one somewhere in BFE colorado (And my partner built me an extra one, because he apparently also likes getting stabbed by chicken wire and wanted to join in).

My bike looked so incomplete without it. I mean, it's also functional, since it catches a lot of bugs and rocks (CoughAndBirdsCough), but mostly, I only use these to make it look more zombie apocalypse, haha

39539007_452590248559054_6345527284614561792_o.jpg

how's the beast holding up?

any pita maintenance and what not we should be worried about?

7 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

how's the beast holding up?

any pita maintenance and what not we should be worried about?

Honestly, not much at all. I've gone through a couple chains and sprockets (I think my rear shock is pretty tired, too, so that probably needs to be replaced so I can go through fewer chains), done some oil changes, wore out a pair of grips, am on my third headlight bulb, and have gone through a bunch of tires, but that's about it. Only weird maintenance I've had to do is the foot peg springs have oddly broken on my a couple times, which is only a minor annoyance. I've also gotten some good dents in my rims from third world pot holes, but they still hold air and bead tires no problem, so I'm not worried.

I still haven't done its first valve check, but I'm thinking now that I'm going to be in one place for a little bit, I'll finally go through the big ticket maintenance items and get to know the insides of this bike. But seriously, I'm still super happy every day that I picked a yamaha for this trip, because the thing won't die no matter how much its beaten and battered 

• Like 5

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Global Moderator
10 minutes ago, zombiphone said:

Honestly, not much at all. I've gone through a couple chains and sprockets (I think my rear shock is pretty tired, too, so that probably needs to be replaced so I can go through fewer chains), done some oil changes, wore out a pair of grips, am on my third headlight bulb, and have gone through a bunch of tires, but that's about it. Only weird maintenance I've had to do is the foot peg springs have oddly broken on my a couple times, which is only a minor annoyance. I've also gotten some good dents in my rims from third world pot holes, but they still hold air and bead tires no problem, so I'm not worried.

I still haven't done its first valve check, but I'm thinking now that I'm going to be in one place for a little bit, I'll finally go through the big ticket maintenance items and get to know the insides of this bike. But seriously, I'm still super happy every day that I picked a yamaha for this trip, because the thing won't die no matter how much its beaten and battered 

you gonna do the work yourself?

if so, i see a vlog in your future for FZ07 how-tos

also, still mad i didnt get to see you at the International Motorcycle show in Ohio, (didnt get my ticket on time)

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, zombiphone said:

Sound like its all to be expected considering your adventures. I'm glad all is well with the FZ-07, what kind of mileage have you got on it now? I'll give a Tiff of the hat to you for going on and doing what you do. I'm sure Andy would do the valve clearance check for you if you say please!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sorkyah said:

you gonna do the work yourself?

if so, i see a vlog in your future for FZ07 how-tos

also, still mad i didnt get to see you at the International Motorcycle show in Ohio, (didnt get my ticket on time)

That's the plan! I've been wanting to start doing some youtube stuff anyways, and I should actually have access to a good enough computer to edit stuff now. I can't guarantee it'll go smoothly, since I've only ever adjusted valves on a ninja 250, but I'm not afraid to learn everything the hard way..... for better or for worse, haha

Aw, boo- I wish you could have come by and said hi! I'm sure I was awkward as hell on stage, since I'm still a nerd, but it would have been cool to finally meet in person and talk to more people who knew what an FZ was (Cleveland was a really Harley heavy crowd). Are you in Ohio?

6 minutes ago, fzar said:

Sound like its all to be expected considering your adventures. I'm glad all is well with the FZ-07, what kind of mileage have you got on it now? I'll give a Tiff of the hat to you for going on and doing what you do. I'm sure Andy would do the valve clearance check for you if you say please!!

Haha- he's offered me some rims and stock parts as a thank you for using my FZ as a parts bike for 2 different FZ-07Rs at the Utah Motoamerica round (Parts of my bike have now raced on a professional level, so I'm calling that a vicarious win), so I'm sure he could help me with that too. I've got around 67,000 on it now, since it sat all winter (Because Montana). Should be interesting to see how the valve clearances are holding 40,000 miles after the suggested service interval >_<

• Like 2

• Global Moderator

i'm in phoenix, but i was in FT Wayne Indiana visiting family during IMS this year... 

1 minute ago, zombiphone said:

Haha- he's offered me some rims and stock parts as a thank you for using my FZ as a parts bike for 2 different FZ-07Rs at the Utah Motoamerica round (Parts of my bike have now raced on a professional level, so I'm calling that a vicarious win), so I'm sure he could help me with that too. I've got around 67,000 on it now, since it sat all winter (Because Montana). Should be interesting to see how the valve clearances are holding 40,000 miles after the suggested service interval >_<

what did he steal from you? 

also, you gonna get back into racing any time soon?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, zombiphone said:

Yeah I'd be calling that a win, what parts did he pull? because those riders need to credit you with the success of having a bike on the grid! LOL. I'd be really interested on how the valve clearance's  are holding up, if you could throw some pics or a video up when you GERT it done that would be cool.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

To stay on topic of the Thread, I woke up, looked at her, and said ,ye wanna go. We went, not before installing the R6 throttle tube AR-23- AR-9 through Hobbs state park, AR. War Eagle, to my surprise there's been some freshly laid asphalt 👍 a couple of bikes non-harley, person riding in front of me was pushing a tiger hard in the turns, all had to back off as there was too many boaters with trailers hopping around the road. I still enjoyed the 80 mile round rip. Good times.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Yamaoldster said:

nw side.jpg

mt nw dis.jpg

Is that the accessory socket on the left side zip-tied to the clutch cable? If so could you give me an link to where you got it and how you installed it. Maybe the 18 has a different set-up to the 15 I have but its interesting and looks clean AF.

You can find accessory sockets on ebay or Amazon, search this: NOCO GC018 12V Adapter Plug Socket with Eyelet Terminal

You can also find some at Walmart but hard to find with water tight cap.

I put this setup on all my bikes. I wire it hot to the battery  for two reasons.  With a male plug on your Battery Tender you can charge the battery (without removing anything). You can also use this socket to power mini air compressor if needed for flat on the road. I drew this rough diagram giving you an idea how I do it. I run the wires from battery to handle bars under the tank (you don't have to remove the tank, undo a wire coat hanger, straighten it out and feed it under the tank, once through tape the wires to the coat hanger and pull through) . I like to put the wires in some kind of tubing (shrink tubing) to protect from chaffing. I use this power source for LED driving lights and voltmeter through a switch. If you run lights don't forget to turn them off after riding if not you will drain the battery. As you run the wires be sure to keep track of positive and negative wires, I use a voltmeter to know which is "hot". You want to use 10-15 amp fuse to power air compressor if needed (install fuse holder couple inches from battery). 

I've been doing this to all my bike (all makes) for decades and never had a problem.

battery.jpg

Edited by Yamaoldster
  • Like 4

Got some auxiliary lighting on!

29208188467_4c2688c798_k.jpg

Edited by mints
  • Like 2

'16 FZ-07 Matte Silver/Blurple
Instagram:Mintsopoulos