The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

Obligatory not today but yesterday. Put my blue lady Yamaha to winter sleep. :( It's too cold for my gear to protect me from elements and low temperatures as from last week we had -2°C in the morning. I still need to put a cover and spray some silicone spray and it will be done!

Can't wait for 2019 spring to come. 🏍️   💨

Edited by liqwiq
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, scotto said:

@Blacksheep I believe if you check out Seat Concepts, they have a replacement foam and a cover they call "gripper top" that would keep you from sliding forward.  Then again, some people would consider that a drawback, not being able to slide around to position yourself on the seat.  Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks, I am aware of them and did look at the option. The price to do both the seats to match and the downtime associated makes the OEM comfort seats which supposedly are more comfortable as well as good of a bargain IMHO. 

On 11/11/2018 at 9:54 PM, RojoRacing said:

Picked up my 2018 MT-07 yesterday and I'm already 100 miles into the break in period.  It didn't take me long to start changing things up to make it mine. 

Painted the exhaust shield and gas cap black because I don't like silver things, it's too dark to take pics right now.

I like how easy the feel of the shifter is but I hate how far you need to move it so I re-positioned the point of attachment on the shift arm to shorten the throw.  This adjustment is a balancing act because if you move it too far you'll lose so much leverage that it's become hard to move the shift lever with your toe.  At first I thought I moved it too much as it was quick to shift but harder then I would have liked, you can't have your cake and est it too.  After 30 miles of riding I've gotten used to the difference in the input needed but If I had to do it again I'd try moving it about 20% less.  I may spend the $18 and buy another arm to try it at a slightly different position. 

612376520_MT-07(2).thumb.jpg.693e6f3736e791d7d47cb3b1c4a8c5c7.jpg

I flipped the shift arm to go back to the GP style shifting I prefer and trimmed away the side cover to allow the rod to pass through. 

The clutch lever on these things has an odd feel I don't like so much so I robbed the super trick CRG clutch lever and perch from the defunked ninja 250 and mounted it to the MT which gave me back that fluid clutch feel I so like.  This setup is unique in that it has 3 positions to mount the cable which changes the pull ratio of the cable to actuate it faster for a quick bit or slower for more feel. 

Because I changed the clutch perch I lost my left mirror so I mounted a CRG Lane Splitter bar end mirror which was given to me yesterday by a friend.  I'll probably give a short review on these once I get a few weeks on them. 

New Pro Taper soft grips for my old man hands.  I was hoping for a R6 throttle tube as well but none were in stock. 

Clipped some mini bungees under the passenger seat so I could go grab some dinner.  I miss not having my givi top case but this'll have to do for now, not sure if it'll fit a pizza though. 

1594762840_MT-07(1).thumb.jpg.40cee3e1c26d889c2192ebddb98ef3d9.jpg

Very INTERESTING test trials. It takes more that a bit of thought for one to imagine the actual processes you are working on  but if you go so far as to finish out the modifications I hope you post those too; with pics also please.....

On 11/1/2018 at 8:53 AM, fzar said:

426FC4F5-1E0D-40EB-8D3D-4C4C060B5CA5.thumb.jpeg.fc5b1f8d757ba4302ee7a69d0fdd5d98.jpegTechnically it was yesterday. I did a 16,000 mile oil + filter change, cleaned+ lubed chain, removed plastics and tank and replaced the spark plugs with NGK LMAR8BI-9 Iridium's. The picture is of the plugs I removed they've been in for 7,000 miles.

Sometimes, little things mean alot; the plugs replaced and pictured above look like R8A-9's. What are you looking for when you installed the R8I-9's ?  thanks  !

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Blacksheep said:

... I wish I could PM you! :( 

If @scotto would PM you first you would be allowed to reply to him if I understand the forum rules correctly.

Edited by DewMan

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
On 11/26/2018 at 12:15 PM, user1 said:

Sometimes, little things mean alot; the plugs replaced and pictured above look like R8A-9's. What are you looking for when you installed the R8I-9's ?  thanks  !

Longevity, more efficient spark plug! Curiosity mostly, yeah know, I just wanted to try them and see if there is any difference. I'll pull them again at 24,000 or the next time I have the tank off the bike and do a comparison against the old plugs, so far it's running great but I can't say I feel any major difference, time will tell.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 10:02 AM, user1 said:

Very INTERESTING test trials. It takes more that a bit of thought for one to imagine the actual processes you are working on  but if you go so far as to finish out the modifications I hope you post those too; with pics also please.....

Added a few more items to list this past weekend. You can check out all the pics in the first two post on the first page of this thread. 

Windscreen

brembo master cyclinder 

yosh pipe

tutoro chain oiler

givu top case and pilon seat plate

clutch lever

woodcraft clipons 

DNA airbox

EBC HH pads for an R6

So sadly today i dropped my bike off at the shop for electrical issues. Replacing the fus e was apparently a temporary fix

• Sad 1

Mounted the SW-Motech centerstand and a National Cycle Touring VStream shield.

Checked my sag and adjusted shock accordingly.

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

On 12/1/2018 at 11:58 AM, phanomenal07 said:

So sadly today i dropped my bike off at the shop for electrical issues. Replacing the fus e was apparently a temporary fix

Ouch

Got my bike back yesterday from close to a 3 week hiatus 

While she was out, I got the Hoard Airbox installed and the ECU flashed, and when I got her home I put on the Mra wind screen 

Couple of things I noticed. The new Airbox make the bike have a noticeable difference in the top end, it also makes the stock exhaust sound a lot better. It loader, more throaty, and has a nice deep growl to it now....big difference 

The MRA, though small provides a lot of wind relief....I'm in the bubble. I can still feel the wind on my shoulders but my chest and head aren't getting beat up like they were

Pics next post

Edit: oh well, I can't get pics uploaded right now.....I'll try later

Edited by RIP
  • Like 1

Just did the most ridiculous weight reduction ever 

A carbon fiber bracket for the abs tubes

IMG_20181203_022822_817.thumb.jpg.cc9b972fea04a728e0d4dc1e15e68210.jpg

IMG_20181203_022827_186.thumb.jpg.0de3873a5ace15328fc08fb9181d5289.jpgIMG_20181203_022835_615.thumb.jpg.63474b3387346569776261675a11b202.jpg

just as a comparison  the carbon piece is larger  (and  heavier ) that the one I used  .

More or less 20/25 grams of reduction , what a useless mod 😂

12 hours ago, Mad said:

Just did the most ridiculous weight reduction ever 

A carbon fiber bracket for the abs tubes

IMG_20181203_022822_817.thumb.jpg.cc9b972fea04a728e0d4dc1e15e68210.jpg

IMG_20181203_022827_186.thumb.jpg.0de3873a5ace15328fc08fb9181d5289.jpgIMG_20181203_022835_615.thumb.jpg.63474b3387346569776261675a11b202.jpg

just as a comparison  the carbon piece is larger  (and  heavier ) that the one I used  .

More or less 20/25 grams of reduction , what a useless mod 😂

Don't stop, light speed is just a few grams away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beemer

Pulled the bike out of my cramped garage at my apartment and let it run for a bit. Threw some Stabil in the tank and moved it to it's new home for the winter, a second garage in my complex. Decided to rent a second one so I had more room for the MT as well as my dad's bike, along with the summer wheel/tire combo for my DD, and I'm sure other stuff that will accumulate. Also got my battery tender hooked up, and waiting on a front stand then the bike will go up on stands for the winter. 

IMG_20181204_023514854.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 208MT07 said:

Pulled the bike out of my cramped garage at my apartment and let it run for a bit. Threw some Stabil in the tank and moved it to it's new home for the winter, a second garage in my complex. Decided to rent a second one so I had more room for the MT as well as my dad's bike, along with the summer wheel/tire combo for my DD, and I'm sure other stuff that will accumulate. Also got my battery tender hooked up, and waiting on a front stand then the bike will go up on stands for the winter. 

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Wow! An apartment with a garage! They really do exist! Ha! Recently, I was talking with someone about apartments and he said that some apartments nowadays have garages and I said really?! I'd never seen nor heard of anyone having one, a car port at best. Lucky you!

• Like 2

Beemer

46 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Wow! An apartment with a garage! They really do exist! Ha! Recently, I was talking with someone about apartments and he said that some apartments nowadays have garages and I said really?! I'd never seen nor heard of anyone having one, a car port at best. Lucky you!

Yeah, its definitely nice. They're separate buildings from the actual apartments and are rented on availability, so both of ours are not right by our unit, but only takes a minute or so to get to either one, not too horrible. At least we don't have to leave our bikes outside haha.  Hopefully next year we can get into a house with an attached garage, that would be even better. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 208MT07 said:

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

There a fella that builds bikes on another forum I'm a member of. His "shed", as he calls it, is 8'x12'. He recently built a tubing bender and bent up/welded the tubing for an aluminum framed bike he is building from scratch. Granted, he does his machining at work.  It's not how much space you have, it's what you do with it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1