The MT-07 Forum

Best LED height bulb for the FZ-07?

fzZach

InsaneDawe

Here's my very long take.

I upgraded from the Cyclops in my 15 FZ-07 and I wouldn't recommend it for the price. You can get "Amazon" alternatives that are just as good for less than half the price. I would actually recommend a hopped up H4 Halogen (like a Night Breaker Laser) over an LED due to its superior output angles that better work with the reflector. Although these "hopped" up bulbs have a tendency to burn out quickly.

Biggest limitation of the stock headlight is that it's a reflector, albeit that it's a "better" one than other OEM reflectors. 

An interesting LED upgrade that I tried was a H4 LED Projector. Output was about on par but had a much better light spread. It wasn't as wide as I wanted and it had too much foreground lighting but for $25, solid Plug and Play upgrade. Can be found on amazon but they range closer to $60 for 2.

_MG_1448.thumb.jpg.c237ed9ab9f04fd99873c509288d748b.jpg

What I settled on was a full HID retrofit, they are pretty cheap with Mini H1 projectors

• Amazon Mini H1 Projectors - $25
  • Ebay H1 Xenon Kit - $25 (Same as Amazon ones)
  • Amazon H4 HID Relay Harness - $12

This projector has a much wider spread than the LED projector and more of it is focused at the center point rather than on the foreground. I opted for the Ebay "8.1" Mini H1 projectors because they come with a cutoff shield that further limits light output near the bike. 

_MG_1421.thumb.jpg.3e8cd20e04c01dac54dd394b3a6ba8c4.jpg

Edited by InsaneDawe
Added pictures, 8.1 not Super MH1
  • Like 3

On 5/25/2020 at 8:41 PM, Devilman said:

Hopefully you changed out the pumpkin turn signals. LOL. II hated them and finally changed them out. Bike looks much cleaner. Also like the Wolverine key chain.

I sure did. Went with the TST Mech signals. 

Instagram: @jayparrington 

4 minutes ago, JayMT07 said:

I sure did. Went with the TST Mech signals. 

Yep I just installed those also. Looks much better.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JayMT07 said:

I ran the LED bulb in a different bike prior to the MT07. Picked up the LED bulb and marker lights on Amazon. 

Marker lights:

LED bulb:

844CB3BE-4AC3-4071-9A06-3874C0EE33A9.jpeg

AF56B9CF-FFE4-4AB5-B761-F6DAE5A0E890.jpeg

Rebel 500 I see. I have one, was a great learner bike but to viby in the hands and the seat sucks. I have the black bag instead of brown. LOL. Going to teach the wife this summer if she is interested.

Edited by Devilman
  • Like 1

michigan400

My 2 cents - 95% of H4 LED bulbs = Snake oil. So buyer beware.

I won't say don't get "X brand" or don't get one period but keep your expectations low if you do get one. Hopefully you don't actually ride at night either. They all work great for daytime rides!! LOL!! And they all look great in pictures. It's the amount of light "on the road" that matters and that is a function of the reflector and beam pattern it makes more than the bulb itself.

I've been using the H4 Xenon since 2013 because it has a tad of blue in it.  It's very bright like any Halogen, but the blue tends to grab people's attention.  The LEDs are probably a lot brighter, but the H4 has been plenty, and it has a life time warranty, and doesn't require any wiring changes; just pop it in, and it's done.  

Vision X Lighting VX-LH4 H4 55/65 Watt Hi or Low Beam Superwhite Bulb Set