The MT-07 Forum

Cant decide which handlebar. Anyone have input?

collinjet

Funny, everyone is going low bars, I went the opposite way. Xsr700 stock bars. , wider, blacker, aluminium instead of steel.

more upright, more supermoto feel. 

stickshift
1 hour ago, Tony9020 said:

How did you guys go about getting the grips on the handlebar? 

Use some hairspray on the bars. Grip slips right on over it and sets it in place.

stickshift
11 hours ago, VEXX said:

Funny, everyone is going low bars, I went the opposite way. Xsr700 stock bars. , wider, blacker, aluminium instead of steel.

more upright, more supermoto feel. 

I raised my standard bars with some riser blocks. I'm getting older and wanted more comfort on longer rides, still works well on the track too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stickshift said:

Use some hairspray on the bars. Grip slips right on over it and sets it in place.

Hairspray instead of glue? 

bullwhip66
On 5/16/2020 at 4:25 AM, Tony9020 said:

I used a little bit of soapy water. I used safety wire after they went on. No glue. Hairspray I've heard works as well but i had a bottle of water/simple green so I used that.

• Like 1

stickshift
On 5/16/2020 at 6:25 PM, Tony9020 said:

Yeah, I’ve used it for years. You can still remove the grips without destroying them if you need to. The cheaper the hairspray the better!

• 1 month later...
Airbornedeth

So, after reading this thread, I'm confused still. At 45 years old, I like the upright riding position and don't want to move forward any. I do feel like I'm "reaching" a tiny bit when I try to maintain my riding position. By reaching, meaning my arms are straight and not slightly bent, which then makes my wrists hurt and lower back tighten up on longer rides, and sometimes my thumb, pointer finger, and middle finger tingle and go numb. (For context, I was a Parachute Rigger in the Army, so my wrists are trashed, as are my freaking knees.) Will risers bring the bars up and back, or would I need to go aftermarket to get what I need? 

I went to school to be a mechanic, and worked on heavy equipment for Caterpillar for a few years and then switched careers, but I've never really wrenched on bikes. It's a completely new learning process for me. (And any electrical stuff more involved than just chasing shorts, I'm an idiot with.)

Edited by Airbornedeth