The MT-07 Forum

CARBONSMITH / MWR Racing Intake Solution is here!!!

bellissimoto

3 hours ago, pgeldz said:

I had that at first and was told it would not pass tech for MotoAmerica...

Do you have a pic of your fiberglass box solution?

On 6/17/2022 at 1:15 AM, cosp600rr said:

Pretty sure hes still making them as he test fit one on my bike back a few months ago that he was shipping overseas. He just lives and hour or so north of me.

Do you have an pics of the install / test fit?  I'm just trying to understand how it fits on the bike.  Is the unit the entire "system," or did he rig up feed ducts?  Did it fit right up on your bike, or do things need need to be modified or moved around?  

Just now, jb.junior said:

Do you have an pics of the install / test fit?  I'm just trying to understand how it fits on the bike.  Is the unit the entire "system," or did he rig up feed ducts?  Did it fit right up on your bike, or do things need need to be modified or moved around?  

I dont have one of his airbox set ups. He used my bike to test fit one last spring that he was shipping over sea to make sure it would clear my shock configuration. I didnt take any pictures because it wasnt for my bike. 

M. Hausknecht
13 hours ago, jb.junior said:

Interesting.  Do you use the Carbon Smith set up?  What other options are there?

I have not attempted to create a sealed airbox for my 07. Like you, I've used a Hordpower intake, but unlike you, I haven't needed to put it in a "box". I'm not aware of anything that can be purchased that comes close, except for the Carbonsmith setup from a few years ago. So, it is something that would have to be built from scratch, most readily, I think, out of fiberglass. I think    Giaccmoto is working on a system for the R7 that will be available. I recall seeing a photo of Ed Sullivan testing it at Daytona in December.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I have not attempted to create a sealed airbox for my 07. Like you, I've used a Hordpower intake, but unlike you, I haven't needed to put it in a "box". I'm not aware of anything that can be purchased that comes close, except for the Carbonsmith setup from a few years ago. So, it is something that would have to be built from scratch, most readily, I think, out of fiberglass. I think    Giaccmoto is working on a system for the R7 that will be available. I recall seeing a photo of Ed Sullivan testing it at Daytona in December.

Thank you for that.  

I'm going to weigh the set up that I have at the shop tomorrow.  The Carbonsmith system weights 552g (1.1 lbs), which is pretty light.  I'm guessing that it will save at least a pound over my Hord + cut-in-half oem box setup.  

That said, they changed the minimum weight limit for a Twins Cup bike in MotoAmerica this year.  It's 337 lbs., and I think I'm already dangerously close.  So any more weight savings may not be legal, anyway.  I'll also weigh my bike tomorrow and see where things stand.

The Hord + modified OEM box seems like it would flow damn-near as well as without the box, so I think it's good from that perspective.  But the cold / ram air of the Carbonsmith is enticing. 

29 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

Did you see the Yoshimura R7 option? Should fit without issue. Says it's MA legal for Twins Cup.

Ed

https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/products/yamaha-yzf-r7-mt-07-airbox-kit-750bg137200

I have seen that and definitely like it and am considering it.  Thanks for posting.  I'm going with their new titanium full exhaust, so I'd assume that these are designed to work together and would have good tuning synergies.

But it actually hasn't been released yet, so I may not be able to wait until it is...

Edited by jb.junior

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, jb.junior said:

I have seen that and definitely like it and am considering it.  Thanks for posting.  I'm going with their new titanium full exhaust, so I'd assume that these are designed to work together and would have good tuning synergies.

Yoshimura shows some pretty impressive gains with the airbox and their full exhaust system. If the the gains are real, it looks like a good system.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

3 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

Yoshimura shows some pretty impressive gains with the airbox and their full exhaust system. If the the gains are real, it looks like a good system.

Ed

Damn straight.  They do great engineering.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Evill_Ed said:

Ed

The CP2 motor seems very sensitive to over all intake length. From Yamaha, the intake runners are very long, which is why low and mid-range power is so strong, while the power just disappears beyond 9000rpm. All of the viable intake alternatives include shorter runners, which necessarily move the torque curve up, generating more peak horsepower. Of course, to optimize the "area under the curve", you also want cams and cam timing that can take advantage of the shift in torque curve. I suspect Yosh intends their airbox and new exhaust to go along with their cams, and a proper head porting.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 2/27/2023 at 3:08 PM, jb.junior said:

Do you have a pic of your fiberglass box solution?

I don't think so...I sold the bike some time ago...

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, jb.junior said:

But it actually hasn't been released yet, so I may not be able to wait until it is...

Looks eerily similar to my air box solution...

• Like 1

This is what's on my existing bike.  Yesterday, we chopped off a bit more of the OEM air box plastic to make it a little easier to install.  The entire unit weighed 3.1 lbs (air box + horde).  But then we cut off some more of the air box plastic, so I'm guessing 2.8-2.9lbs?

For my other bike rebuild, I think I'm going with the Carbonsmith ram air.  I like the idea of ram air, and the unit weights 1.1 lbs.  So ~1.7lb savings would be nice.  I contacted Ryan, and it is indeed still available.

On that note, we weighed this bike last night, and it was 340 lbs. with about one gallon of fuel.  So getting close to the limit...

IMG_1663.jpg

Edited by jb.junior
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Might be a dead thread but anyone still using the Carbonsmith intake? Not sure if I should get short runners or long, I have a yoshi carbon exhaust. Hordpower has been out of stock lately and considering going for this. Its also cheaper which is a plus.

Another question regarding fitment, I have the CA model with a charcoal cannister right above the shock. Will it clear it? Worst case I can just remove the cannister 

As for the tuning, I have a dynojet power vision 3. Any off the shelf maps? Otherwise I will send in ECU to 2wdw for a flash. 

3 hours ago, pepperona said:

Might be a dead thread but anyone still using the Carbonsmith intake? Not sure if I should get short runners or long, I have a yoshi carbon exhaust. Hordpower has been out of stock lately and considering going for this. Its also cheaper which is a plus.

Another question regarding fitment, I have the CA model with a charcoal cannister right above the shock. Will it clear it? Worst case I can just remove the cannister 

As for the tuning, I have a dynojet power vision 3. Any off the shelf maps? Otherwise I will send in ECU to 2wdw for a flash. 

No experience with the Carbonsmith inlets, but I would expect the longer inlets to suit a stock motor better than the short.

Be aware that if you get 2wdw or anybody else to flash your ECU using Woolwich or FTECU software you probably won’t be able to use your Powervision 3 on that ECU ever again, you can check that with Dynojet tech support first but I had a previously flashed ecu and ended up having to replace it before I could use my pv3.

• Like 1