The MT-07 Forum

Purchasing Help

WeTrolling

On 3/12/2021 at 9:23 PM, cornerslider said:

I'm a bit late to this party, but thought I'd share my experience with buying "new".... I've been buying bikes from the same dealer/salesperson for about 30 years. This dealer is just outside a largely populated metro area by about an hour. I can call him anytime for a price quote (which most of the time is @ or slightly lower than MSRP). He gives me that price over the phone, and I know will be "+tax/title/license".... There has never been, nor will there ever be "Freight & Dealer prep". That is just the way they do business. They are the cheapest, they know it, and so do you! They won't even "toss in" a t-shirt, but you will the BEST price in the area. I've bought my last 4-5 bikes over the phone from them. I don't even have to give them a deposit, he just asks "When do you want to pick it up?" Mind you, I have never bought a single part from this dealer, nor have I ever had them do service on anything I own. He just says "Tell your friends"- which I do 😎-

When we had repeat customers that was pretty much what it came down to.  One family and their friend had bought around 40 bikes/ATVs from us.  When they called or stopped in the price was always rock bottom, a shade less than what would be normal, just because - 40 vehicles!  They never bothered going elsewhere because they knew we'd do the best including cuts due to dealer incentives that are not advertised.  They also got breaks on accessories and such.

In our normal dealings when we gave pricing we were all about the bottom line, but did show setup and freight in some cases, because of low ball pricing (pricing under cost) from other places.  It showed people knew our setup and freight were not $2000, the place where so many cut throat dealers make up for low ball prices.  It's easy to sell for $1000 under cost if it's going to be jacked up a couple thousand on paper.

But as often as not for us the bottom line was emphasized - total, in full.   That was the best way.  The one problem is the fact that most people will shop the price, letting the competition know our bottom line.  That dealer would undercut by a minimal amount and make the sale.   That is why so many dealers are hesitant to throw out quotes.    

There is another trick done by some sales people.  As you get the number they might say something like "would you buy it if I can sell it for $$$$?"  They throw a low ball number that they know no one can beat and know they can't sell it for that, but that will most likely get the buyer back and by then they can jack it up then and usually now can learn the competitor's prices.   That is the trick, trying to be the one with the customer at the desk when they're finally tired of chasing the deal.   

It is so much nicer to just find the good dealers by asking around, not what the bike price was, but what was the OTD pricing and how they treat you.  Then go in knowing what you'd like to pay and the maxiumum you will pay and work the deal - with the check book on the desk top, aka money talks.

• Like 1