The MT-07 Forum

Click/pop taking off- I'm out of ideas.

shinyribs

15 hours ago, 00RAH said:

the chain is making that noise, what chain is that? chainsaw chain?

DID's finest X ring logging chain money can buy 😂

• Global Moderator

Listening to your vid again, the perception is click/pop's coming from forward (engine) or above (shock/linkage).

How about disregarding perception and just give a check to the chain tensioner/swingarm axle area?

Maybe loosen the axle nut, but keep chain tensioners. Then reverse, tighten axle nut, but release chain tensioners. Is the sound resonating inside swingarm? Check the wheel bearing (resonating through axle spacer)?  Is a tensioner inside swingarm upside down (they have an arrow UP indicator)?

It's such a cool mystery I would want to check the counterintuitive stuff related to axle/tensioner/wheel bearing & aliens👽

The stuff that gets monkeyed with when you switched shocks at 2k miles (you already checked linkage, now check everything about rear wheel off, then back on).

Maybe go as far as "is there a weld crack?" Frame or stamped and welded swingarm? Way out there longshot...

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well, I finally figured out this noise while replacing my chain last night. It was the crash cage!

The long bolt at the rear/upper engine mount also holds my cage on both sides. I loosened that bolt and the sound went away. 

Under tension, the bike frame is flexing more than the cage, so they try to shift apart and it creates this creaking noise. Yeah, the bike frame flexes more ... 😐

• Like 6

Took you long enough to figure this one out, sheesh. 

Seriously tho, glad you figured it out. It's gotta be great peace of mind. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Took you long enough to figure this one out, sheesh. 

Seriously tho, glad you figured it out. It's gotta be great peace of mind. 

I'd had the rear suspension apart to inspect a few times and was confident it wasn't in there, so I wasn't really afraid to ride it while it was making this noise. My biggest fear was a cracked frame tube somewhere. Kind of a familiar noise from the tube chassis drag car days. For some reason it dawned on me to check this connection with the crash cage and I got lucky. 

Some aluminum crush washers between the crash cage and the bike frame seem to be doing the trick for now. Gives things something to bed in to without shifting, I hope. 

Yeah, it definitely felt good to find it. Shocked how much these frames move, though. Oh well, it works!

Would you say the frame should be allowed to flex, or is it better to contrain that?

Just do it! 

Triple Jim
2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Yeah, the bike frame flexes more ...

Well, to be fair, the forces from the chain are flexing the frame, and the cage, attached to the frame is then forced to try to flex too.  The cage will always tend to resist the flexing of the frame, no matter which of the two is actually stiffer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robbo10 said:

Would you say the frame should be allowed to flex, or is it better to contrain that?

That's a good question. And possibly where my vibration issues came from a while back. Harmonics are a weird thing. I'm thinking of making urethane bushes to isolate the cage from the frame.