The MT-07 Forum

Heavy Set New Rider Interested in MT-07 (5'8 300lbs)

BruceWayne911

• Global Moderator

I am 6’1” and 200 lbs and feel comfortable on my bike.   I upgraded the suspension after I had it a couple of years and wish I had done it sooner.  I did not know what I was missing so I was happy enough before I did it, but a better suspension is definitely nice.  

• Like 2

BruceWayne911

I talked to a mechanic today he said it would cost about $1,800.00 to upgrade a suspension on the MT-07. Does this sound right or is that high? I'm down to fix the bike myself if it's not to complicated.

Just now, BruceWayne911 said:

I talked to a mechanic today he said it would cost about $1,800.00 to upgrade a suspension on the MT-07. Does this sound right or is that high? I'm down to fix the bike myself if it's not to complicated.

You can do it for as little as a few hundred USD, for emulators and an entry level shock or spend as much as you have. Top shelf cartridges and a shock can set you back more than $3250 for both ends. There are pages of thread to be searched here on suspension. Easy and informative to do it yourself too. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I spent about $1,200 on my suspension.  I did not go top-of-the-line, but I am not far off (Nitron R1 shouck and Matris F15K forks).  $1,800 seems high unless you are going for a competitive racing setup.

A quick check found these on Revzilla, 

k_tech_rcu_razor_r_lite_rear_shock.jpg

Unlike your OEM shock, this shock features 3 ways of adjustability enabling you to fine tune your shock to match your riding style.

ohlins_nix22_cartridge_kit.jpg

Many OEM forks only allow for a small range of adjustments and some offer none at all. This can be very frustrating as many riders’ skills eventually …

So for $1,145.00 parts you'd be rocking a premo hooligan setup for your weight...plus motor work... plus electronics... plus farkle... plus do-dads... plus tires... plus controls... plus..p.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
BruceWayne911

I finally got my MT-07, one of the first things I want to do is upgrade the suspension. I've been waiting since November of last year to but the Ohlins cartridge kit but its never in stock. It's been 7 months, does anyone have any insight to this?

ohlins_nix22_cartridge_kit.jpg

Many OEM forks only allow for a small range of adjustments and some offer...

5 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

... Ohlins cartridge kit but its never in stock. ...

Sorry. Don’t know why it hasn’t been in stock anywhere in the USA. I did see a few eBay dealers in Italy who claim to have multiple units in stock for US$692.84 + $29 S&H + no tax. (See link below.)

I’m curious, though: You are new to motorcycling, correct? Have you been riding the bike since you got it and if so, are you noticing a particular problem with the stock suspension?

s-l400.jpg

PRODUCT CODE FKS 204. PRODUCT FAMILY NIX 22. MODEL YEARS 2014...

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

BruceWayne911
4 hours ago, D.A. said:

Sorry. Don’t know why it hasn’t been in stock anywhere in the USA. I did see a few eBay dealers in Italy who claim to have multiple units in stock for US$692.84 + $29 S&H + no tax. (See link below.)

I’m curious, though: You are new to motorcycling, correct? Have you been riding the bike since you got it and if so, are you noticing a particular problem with the stock suspension?

s-l400.jpg

PRODUCT CODE FKS 204. PRODUCT FAMILY NIX 22. MODEL YEARS 2014...

Yeah I'm new to motorcycling this is my first bike. I see alot of other people who weigh significantly less than me who speak negatively about the suspension. I'm not looking to upgrade immediately but in the near future. Im just a little concerned because its been 7 months and I've never seen the part in stock.

Triple Jim
13 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

I see alot of other people who weigh significantly less than me who speak negatively about the suspension.

Are they talking about the 2018-present MT-07 or the earlier FZ-07?  The earlier ones were noted for being softly sprung.

BruceWayne911
1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

Are they talking about the 2018-present MT-07 or the earlier FZ-07?  The earlier ones were noted for being softly sprung.

I've heard they improved it but not by much. TBH this being my first bike I don't think upgrading the suspension right now makes alot of since. I plan to take it slow learn how to ride and then maybe this winter.

• Like 1

Triple Jim
3 minutes ago, BruceWayne911 said:

I've heard they improved it but not by much. TBH this being my first bike I don't think upgrading the suspension right now makes alot of since. I plan to take it slow learn how to ride and then maybe this winter.

Sound like a good plan. 

My MT is not what I'd call soft at all.    I don't think I'll make it any stiffer, that is.