The MT-07 Forum

I Modded my MT! (or What Good are Peg Feelers?)

Triple Jim

I've been thinking recently about those 'peg feelers' and concluded that, for street riding, I like to know that when I hear/feel them dragging, I know I'm at my limit. You don't have to worry that the bike will 'pivot' on them and throw you off, as they're soft aluminum. Other parts on the bike that are harder steel could possibly ruin your day should they ever hit the road at speed. I believe I'll leave them on. Anyone who rides that hard will soon wear them down to nothing anyway. Some view worn peg feelers like they do 'chicken strips', ie if your tires have any chicken strips at all, you're not riding hard enough. The wisdom of a fool. We all bought these bikes to have fun. Can't imagine dying is any fun. I've lost too many friends over the long years to foolishness, whether it be on motorbikes or other stuff. Please have fun and be safe. If you really want to ride that hard save a few $$ and go to the track. Many of the guys I ride with go to the NY 'safety track'. They have all the goodies for rent. You can even rent a bike and full leather one piece suit. If you fall, you slide into the grass, not cars.

• Like 2

Triple Jim
50 minutes ago, emmett said:

You don't have to worry that the bike will 'pivot' on them and throw you off, as they're soft aluminum.

Actually they're zinc plated steel.  Not that they'd directly cause a crash anyway.  I guess it's up to the rider to decide if he/she thinks they're a help or a hindrance.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 2

The second time I low sided was in town, going thru a series of ess turns. I was hugging the inside of a right turn and my footped snagged the curb; spun my Honda 750 around and around as we slid across the street. Lucky there was no oncomming traffic. Funny thing about crashing: while it's happening, it seems like it will never end. When it's done, it seems like it all happened in a hot second, lol. Oh well, I'm sure we all have our 'war stories'.