The MT-07 Forum

Oil consumption

bootstrapjesse

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

FWIW, Years ago, I had a 1975 ElCamino with the 350 ci V8 and one day at oil change time I decided to try the Castrol synthetic oil after years of using the regular oils. Oil leaks from the perimeter of the oil pan started occurring almost immediately. I remembered reading in one of the car mags that a switch from one type to the other would often create a leak. I drained the Castrol and replaced it with one of the old dino oils and voila! the leaking stopped. This probably doesn't pertain here but thought I'd throw it out there.  

Just now, firstyammerha said:

I remembered reading in one of the car mags that a switch from one type to the other would often create a leak.

I think it's more that it does a better job of finding tiny crevices and escaping.  I rebuilt a Vega engine a zillion years ago, and used Mobil 1 from the start.  After a year or so I got tired of drips on the driveway and went to conventional oil.  The leaks stopped.

I'm currently using Yamaha full synthetic oil in my MT-07 and the engine neither leaks nor consumes any oil, as far as I can tell from the sight glass.

Edited by Triple Jim

firstyammerha

I believe that when the synthetic oils first came out that the gasket materials used at the time weren't compatible with the chemical composition of the new oil and it took a few years for the car makers and their suppliers to come up with a new gasket material that worked with synthetic oils. Today I believe cork and neoprene like materials have given way to the silicone and urethane caulk type materials. Also, today the car makers are filling cars with synthetic oils at build time. It's a good thing and helps get us away from OPEC and their cohorts.