The MT-07 Forum

Decided to take the plunge!

cncntr8

As I remember, Nylon requires a higher temperature, so possibly a print head made to work at that temperature.  There may have also been some considerations about getting it to adhere to the bed well enough, but not too well, bed temperature, etc.  I'm sure it's all common knowledge on the webbernet.

19 hours ago, cncntr8 said:

Excited to see what ABS can do for stopping distance.

Congrats on the new bike! ABS is great to protect you from panic braking. It is good to trigger ABS and get a feel for how it feels to over brake (you will feel a pulsating vibration if you trigger ABS). I Just took my advanced MSF and the first drill we did was threshold braking. We first actived our front and rear ABS to learn the threshold for triggering ABS (squeezing the brakes fast). Next, we practiced braking until we were just shy of triggering ABS. Your braking distance is shorter when you brake just shy of triggering ABS because you have not lost traction; you do this by progressively squeezing the brake harder slowly and smoothly. Once, you trigger ABS, your wheels will release your brakes to regain traction, which means a temporary pause in braking, thus increasing your braking distance.

New riders generally brake with a force of 0.5 G deceleration (this is the minimum standard for the MSF as well). Cars and motorcycles can brake at ~1 G deceleration max, but it takes actual skill and practice on a motorcycle to get to that point. This means that whatever distance a car can stop at for emergency braking, a new rider will need double the braking distance. I took the beginner MSF course in California (CMSP), and they had us brake from ~20 mph to 0. For real road riding, you should try threshold braking at higher speeds (work up to higher speeds slowly). The concept is the same, smooth, progressive squeeze on the brake levers and keep your eyes and head facing up towards the horizon. The riders in my class were practicing at braking from ~45 mph to 0.

Edited by tomlichu
  • Like 1

only parts I have printed for my MT07 are blinker holders when I swapped them out for LED (2018 MT07).  This will be the first season with them, we'll see if they hold up since I used PLA.

Edited by Migyver
  • Like 1

It's more fun naked!!

9 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

As I remember, Nylon requires a higher temperature, so possibly a print head made to work at that temperature.  There may have also been some considerations about getting it to adhere to the bed well enough, but not too well, bed temperature, etc.  I'm sure it's all common knowledge on the webbernet.

You are correct! I need to grab some higher temp heater cartridges but otherwise I should be good to go I hope.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomlichu said:

The riders in my class were practicing at braking from ~45 mph to 0.

This is something that I definitely want to work up to.  I have been looking at taking the other msf classes actually. I definitely learned a ton in the intro class.

Good point about the abs and keeping it from kicking in. My biggest fear when learning threshold breaking was going over the handle bars at first lol. My hope is that abs will give me the confidence to push my breaking even closer to that traction threshold when practicing.

I was able to threshold brake in half the normal stop distance when I did my test... They did not quantify that in any way though 

5 hours ago, Migyver said:

only parts I have printed for my MT07 are blinker holders when I swapped them out for LED (2018 MT07).  This will be the first season with them, we'll see if they hold up since I used PLA.

If you ever want them reprinted in ABS, or hopefully nylon/asa/PC in the near future, let me know! I can do it for real cheap.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cncntr8 said:

Good point about the abs and keeping it from kicking in. My biggest fear when learning threshold breaking was going over the handle bars at first lol. My hope is that abs will give me the confidence to push my breaking even closer to that traction threshold when practicing.

I was able to threshold brake in half the normal stop distance when I did my test... They did not quantify that in any way though 

For going over the bar: squeeze the tank with your legs and brace. Keep your eyes up. If you want to measure your deceleration, you can do so with this calculation

(speed)^2/(2*stopping distance) = average deceleration

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 5:07 PM, tomlichu said:

For going over the bar: squeeze the tank with your legs and brace. Keep your eyes up. If you want to measure your deceleration, you can do so with this calculation

(speed)^2/(2*stopping distance) = average deceleration

I finally got it gone today and was able to ride it around some before the rain! This bike is awesome! How I fit in it is so much more reassuring. I really appreciate the advice!

ElGonzales

With good warm tires after some full stops and much grip of the asphalt the MT-07 sometimes lifts the rear end on the last metres of the braking distance. ABS will not prevent this (as long as Yamaha didn't add this feature for the newest models, but I don't think so)
But don't be afraid, just be prepared to release the front brake. I saw other bikes do this too on a rider safety training like the Kawa Versys. It's a matter of correct braking technique and the geometry of the bike, I also had my rear wheel up in the air involuntary while practising with an instructor.

• Like 1