The MT-07 Forum

Counter steering

qldnat

Push on the right handle, go right. Also push on the left peg. 
Push on the left handle, push on the right peg, go left.

Also push on the left peg. push on the right peg, go left.

Go back and look at that twist of the wrist vid 
Sorry, unless pushing your feet down can twist the frame in such a way that it effects the stem and then the forks, the pegs have nothing to do with it.

Oddly enough, if the frame is that flexible (and the old R bike in my avatar was - bikes just don't wallow anymore - if it's something you've never experienced, that's probably just as well), And it's not so simple as push right go right when the frame is flexi-flier/like. Pushing with some force on the right side of that bike ol' Luftmeister fairing caused that R90 to steer left

Body english can change center of gravity and have a huge effect on how far you must lean to go thru whatever turn at a given speed. 

But initiating the turn and determining how far the bike will lean and then bringing it back upright or flipped to the other side - well, it's all in your hands

In Twist of the Wrist II, in one of the last chapters, KC advocates pushing from outside peg. He calls it Pivot Steering. It is a part of counter steering. 

Need some clarification about making adjustment during a turn. Yes, I’ve watched twist of the wrist I & II and nowhere can I find the answer to my question. Let’s say you’re in a middle of a sweeping turn and all the sudden the road blindly turns in more than expected. Do you adjust by adding more counter steer or add more lean by using your body weight?

• Premium Member
Need some clarification about making adjustment during a turn. Yes, I’ve watched twist of the wrist I & II and nowhere can I find the answer to my question. Let’s say you’re in a middle of a sweeping turn and all the sudden the road blindly turns in more than expected. Do you adjust by adding more counter steer or add more lean by using your body weight?
I've had that happen and adjusted with counter steering very effectively.  It will have a quicker, more dramatic effect than just using your body. Just try it.

Why can't left turners see us?

You shift your weight to reduce lean angle, use counter steer to turn sharper.

I usually avoid these type of discussions, but counter steering is used to tilt the bike in the direction you'd like to turn. If you can tilt the bike over purely from internal forces generated by your body, then you can technically make a turn without counter steering.
While true (think bicycle with no hands), you'll be working harder and extremely inefficient. To get a full cornering lean without input from the bars is damn near impossible.
I experiment a lot, and can do it.  If you use the pegs, a 90mph turn is no different than a 5mph turn.  You turn the handlebar in the direction you would like to go, as opposed to counter steering.  

I'm not advocating using the pegs that heavily, though.  In fact, I believe in preloading the outside peg so that in a moments notice, you can shift all your weight there in case you need to handle traction loss by standing the bike up.  

A lot of people overlook how much of an effect those pegs have in lowering the bike's center of gravity, and altering lean angles.  If counter steer is 70 percent of bike control, pegs/body position are the other 30.   In my opinion at least.  

bmwpowere36m3
I usually avoid these type of discussions, but counter steering is used to tilt the bike in the direction you'd like to turn. If you can tilt the bike over purely from internal forces generated by your body, then you can technically make a turn without counter steering.
True, I've done this a lot on bicycles ("no hands"), but if you watch the bars carefully… when you lean over in the direction of turn, the bars will momentarily counter-steer (on their own) and then resume in the direction of the turn. 
Simply put, you must counter steer single-tracked vehicles to turn.  Even at low-speeds, you just don't realize it since you making a lot of inputs for stability and the amount you can turn the wheel in the direction of turn "masks" any counter-steering you're doing.

• Premium Member

I think I can summarize this entire thread with: COUNTER STEER! Just do it. It works, and if you haven't been doing it, you will be amazed!

Why can't left turners see us?

Yes, but the real concept to be taken from this method is that if you can steer/turn intentionally and consciously, you can avoid obstacles and danger better than if you're using body English or subconscious methods. Try it - you'll see that it's a real good technique to keep you safe.

I think one of the most common mistakes by new riders on the street is trying to steer the bike like a car or dirt bike. Counter steer is a very important step in getting the bike around a corner at speed safely. You also need to peg weight along with body lean. There is also trail braking ect but It all works together. I watch these vids were someone is going around a corner and instead of counter steer they try to turn the bars in the direction they want to go and end up in the other lane. Then they panic and hit the brakes and the bike comes right up out of the lean and straight off the road. The bike naturally wants to remain upright at speed because of the centrifugal/ gyro force of the ENGINE and Wheels spinning. You need to force the bike to lean with the above methods. When I would ride aggressive at a track day or even on a nice twisty back road I would always keep the bike in the upper RPM range to add more gyro effect and stability when cornering not just to keep it in the power band.

Push with your right hand and pull with the left and the bike will lean right do the opposite and it will lean left. I use that to get the bike to lean. Then after I have the correct lean angle I can let up a bit and get the wheel pointed in the direction I want to go.

This is just my experience and not telling anyone how to ride but my advice would be practice in a safe environment and see what works best for you.

Archived