The MT-07 Forum

What Paddock Stand Do You Use?

MeanMug

Same as @rick , I have Tue trackside, rear only. I can see myself upgrading, especially by winter.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bmwpowere36m3
Oh, that 33 pin is a perfect fit for the stem. The headlight stuff is close, but nothing touches when the bike is up. And don't forget, the back must be secure on a stand beforer using that stem stand.
+1
Tried the Vortex stand last night, #33 Pitbull pin works great and clears the headlight mount...

Nice shot, and nice fit!

I'll spring $13.00 for their proper fitting pin. Still haven't made a decision on which stands to buy, but Pit Bull is a bit too much.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

I was debating front stands because I bought a set of sonic springs to upgrade the fork. I have a PitBull rear spool stand that I bought 12 years ago. It still looks like new and has been used and abused. I also bought Giles swing arm ends with spool mounts for the FZ-07 so I can adjust chain etc... It works flawlessly. I finally decided my previous PitBull was well worth the investment, so stick with what you know. I bought the PitBull Hybrid front stand with [HASH]33 pin. It was more money, but I like to support companies that create quality products and I'm lucky enough to be able to pay a little extra for the quality.

Why can't left turners see us?

bmwpowere36m3
I was debating front stands because I bought a set of sonic springs to upgrade the fork. I have a PitBull rear spool stand that I bought 12 years ago. It still looks like new and has been used and abused. I also bought Giles swing arm ends with spool mounts for the FZ-07 so I can adjust chain etc... It works flawlessly. I finally decided my previous PitBull was well worth the investment, so stick with what you know. I bought the PitBull Hybrid front stand with [HASH]33 pin. It was more money, but I like to support companies that create quality products and I'm lucky enough to be able to pay a little extra for the quality.
+1 
I was torn… really wanted a set of Pitbull stands, but dropping $370+ was tough.  So I scoured CL for a few days and found some used Pitbull stand for decent money… but they were all sold.  Then I found a set of Vortex stands that looked practically new.  130 dollars (including Pitbull pin) and 60 miles later I have a really nice set of stands.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. The Pitbull really is heads and shoulders better built with better materials than the rest. All you have to do is pick it up off the ground to feel the difference between made in America and, well, not. Sorry if that sounds a bit unworldly snobbish, but I'm old enough to remember when that meant something. Nice to see it still does.  
Will have this thing the rest of my life. And shelling out the cash only hurts once.

A buddy of mine in Belgium just had a rear Pitbull stand shipped from The Aprilia shop in Texas for his brand new 2015 Tuono 1100. It requires a special width and he wasn't gonna hoist that bike on just any POS stand. Between the shipping and import duties, I gasped when he told me what that cost him. He didn't even blink.  

thomascrown

Mine is a pitbull, but it's the one that hikes the bike up from the side.  So you can hold the bike securely by the handlebar, and hike the bike up with your free hand.  I prefer it as I'm pretty sure I would drop the crap out of the bike with the traditional stand. 

11127655_10204128140311198_6472290020028327225_n.jpg?oh=3fa87ab91db27754660b18fc0ab0750a&oe=55C14E67

• Global Moderator

The only reason that I still have the passenger seat strap on is to give me something to hold on to when I put my bike on the rear stand. It works well for that.

The only reason that I still have the passenger seat strap on is to give me something to hold on to when I put my bike on the rear stand. It works well for that.
I do exactly the same thing. 

What are some of the cheapest and reliable methods for putting our bike on stands, front and rear?

I see some spoil sliders are through-axle on the rear while other options are to use the paddles of a rear stand and lift under the rear swingarm.

For the front, I've seen some stands with a pin which goes into the bottom of the forks (looks sketchy). Also have looked at some with two rollers which sit on the calipers or bottom of forks, idk.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

The type that lift from the bottom of the forks work well. I had purchased a set of stands from cyclegear. Trackside front and rear as well as a wheel chaulk that i could just roll the front wheel into and the bike would stand up. The front stands works good. The only thing that would make me nervous about is removing the front wheel with the stand as i feel removing the tire would cause weight to shift and the bike falling off. This thought in my head has prompted me to find and purchase a triple clamp life instead.

So the with triple tree stand the underside of the bikes fork clamp (triple tree) rests on the stand?

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

Just read through the entire thread, my questions are answered. Should have read in the first place!

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

I use a Bursig Center Lift Stand. I bought it over a month ago and will be posting a full review shortly. 

Warning: These makes pitbull stands look like an "economical" solution... However they are truly worth it and having used it now I could never go back.

Link: http://www.bursigusa.com/bursig-center-lift-stand/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

oooo, seen vids of that stand. They are indeed sweet!

Where does the bracket bolt up? Do you have to remove that piece of trim?

• Premium Member
I use a Bursig Center Lift Stand. I bought it over a month ago and will be posting a full review shortly.  
Warning: These makes pitbull stands look like an "economical" solution... However they are truly worth it and having used it now I could never go back.

Link: http://www.bursigusa.com/bursig-center-lift-stand/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0
That is badass!  Waiting for your review -- would be interested to see how the bike can be lifted while having frame sliders in place

oooo, seen vids of that stand. They are indeed sweet!  
Where does the bracket bolt up? Do you have to remove that piece of trim?
There are two points of contact. One being the swing arm pivot and the second being an add on sleeve that its bolted through the top of the shock. This means you can removed everything on the bike minus the frame, swing arm and shock while using the bursig. The attachment points vary from bike to bike. 
Here is their install video which gives you the general idea.

That is badass!  Waiting for your review -- would be interested to see how the bike can be lifted while having frame sliders in place
I have a full set of OES sliders (Forks, Engine, Swing Arm) and it works with no issues. In general I cannot see how any sliders including the OEM would interfere with the Bursig.

• Premium Member

Ah that makes sense. I was thinking perhaps the mounting point was further forward

• Premium Member

It can take up to a week for stuff to clear customs if coming from Canada in my experience

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

That's wierd, I ordered through Amazon from the same company and got mine within a few days. Definitely did not come from Canada lol

Well, well, my awesome package is at our local hub, so I should see it today. Guess it did dwell at the boarder for their paperwork BS. So, for the best price, Kapscomoto.com is probably the cheapest, but you'll have to expect a wait.

6/17/2015 5:39 AM Highland Heights, OH, United States Arrival scan
6/17/2015 4:57 AM Middleburg Heights, OH, United States Departure scan
6/16/2015 8:14 PM Buffalo, NY, United States Arrival scan
6/16/2015 7:40 PM Niagara Falls, NY, United States Departure scan
6/16/2015 5:08 PM Niagara Falls, NY, United States Origin scan
6/09/2015 3:40 PM Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I'll throw the bike on the stands ASAP and see how rickety they are. I'll have to make a sleeve for the front pin for a proper fit. Hopefully with parts found laying around the house. The 19mm pin it comes with, is a perfect 3/4", which should match quite a few different types of pipe ID's. Just have to whittle the pipe OD to match the 21mm bore. Oh, and I'll need to add a roll pin through it to clear the headlight housing. Pictures to come...

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Turns out the pipe used for a shower head is the correct size to make a sleeve:

shower_arm_pipes.jpg

I happened to have one left over from a new shower diverter kit.  Swapped it with an old one that had tarnished over time.  Cut it to length and cross drilled for a 5/32" roll pin.  A washer with 17mm ID would work as well.

dsc00002.jpg

dsc00003.jpg

Archived