The MT-07 Forum

What kind of MPG do you guys get?

Guru

bmwpowere36m3

I get 50-55 MPG avgerage according to the instrument readout regardless how I ride. Then again, I seldom check it.

Who cares... all I can say is it's good and never costs me for than $8-9 to fill up on 87.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

I get about 140-150 miles before the fuel light starts blinking... That's about 55mpg and I don't ride for fuel economy...at 55mpg and I'm still " just playing" around, not many cars/trucks on the road can match the "grins per gallon" of the fz... In my opinion if you ONLY want a bike for mpg get a scooter!!

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

looks like the on board computer is off by about 5mpg.
So if you want to become a real mpg geek, forget the computer and do your own calculation (total actual fill up divided by mileage since last fill up). So far, you are still better than an AI (Artificial Intelligence) (rofl)

looks like the on board computer is off by about 5mpg. So if you want to become a real mpg geek, forget the computer and do your own calculation (total actual fill up divided by mileage since last fill up). So far, you are still better than than AI (Artificial Intelligence) (rofl)
I've done that too and on mine it was the same. I generally get 50 mpg on the highway and 62-66 elsewhere. Once when I was being very gentle (I was curious) I averaged 70 mpg over 200 miles. Kind of boring though.  

On my extended road trip I got between 50-70 mpg (using trip odometer divided by gallons pumped). It was strange, some parts of the trip were up hill through canyons with some aggressive passing and I still nailed 70 mpg for that leg. Other times I was certain I had taken it easy and came out around 50 mpg. I'm still not sure what I was doing different to cause such a big discrepancy. Maybe it was wind? I've attained 70 mpg on a tank commuting since then, so I know it wasn't a fluke.

In other news, my built in mpg display has stopped working since the last fill up. The AVG mpg display hasnt moved at all, and the current mpg just reads --. Not that I trust that display but its a bummer anyway: My warranty just expired on the 18th.

• 2 weeks later...
fooschnickens
On my extended road trip I got between 50-70 mpg (using trip odometer divided by gallons pumped). It was strange, some parts of the trip were up hill through canyons with some aggressive passing and I still nailed 70 mpg for that leg. Other times I was certain I had taken it easy and came out around 50 mpg. I'm still not sure what I was doing different to cause such a big discrepancy. Maybe it was wind? I've attained 70 mpg on a tank commuting since then, so I know it wasn't a fluke. 
In other news, my built in mpg display has stopped working since the last fill up. The AVG mpg display hasnt moved at all, and the current mpg just reads --. Not that I trust that display but its a bummer anyway: My warranty just expired on the 18th.
I've seen similar results with my bike as well. Took a long ride up to the mountains, rode around a bit, filled up and still had 58MPG before heading home.  
Sounds like it's time to get to the dealer assuming you're still under warranty. Though, I never use the MPG readings on my bike since they're so inaccurate, I stick to logging my miles in fuelly.

• 3 weeks later...

150 or so miles before I hit reserve, ride another 25-30 miles, and put in 3.3-3.4 gallons. The bike registers a couple MPG short when I do "miles divided by gallons".

Heard the tank only holds 3.4XX gallons, which means I'm really pushing it. Has anybody ran out of gas and recorded how much it took? Can't imagine Yamaha could/would say 3.7 if it's only 3.4XX.

I've been tracking mine on fuelly since I got the bike just for funsies and curiosity:

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/fz-07/2015/zombiphone/381082

Best I've gotten is 73 mpg on one ride, which consisted of just cruising along the coast with a little highway. Worst I've gotten so far is 55 mpg which was all highway riding through the desert on a 105 degree day with a huge not aerodynamic backpack on that didn't allow me to tuck. All in all, I'd say way better than I expected when I bought the bike! It's like a fun version of a prius :D

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Premium Member

I don't get anywhere near that kind of mileage. It says 43mpg on average on mine, although I do run it WOT a lot. I've never seen mpg average in the 50s. I generally get 120 miles out of a tank with one bar left.

• Global Moderator
I don't get anywhere near that kind of mileage. It says 43mpg on average on mine, although I do run it WOT a lot. I've never seen mpg average in the 50s. I generally get 120 miles out of a tank with one bar left.
You can easily get another 30 miles or so before the gauge starts flashing at you.

i ride 'spirited' including a few 100+ mph runs and still average about 52 w/ my 250lbs and another 40 in gear/pack

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
You can easily get another 30 miles or so before the gauge starts flashing at you. 
i ride 'spirited' including a few 100+ mph runs and still average about 52 w/ my 250lbs and another 40 in gear/pack
That's the kicker: I'm only 150lbs + gear. I should be getting amazing mileage. As to the flashing fuel gauge, I guess I didn't know I could go until it flashes, but then how much do I have left at that point? 

• Global Moderator
That's the kicker: I'm only 150lbs + gear. I should be getting amazing mileage. As to the flashing fuel gauge, I guess I didn't know I could go until it flashes, but then how much do I have left at that point?
Ive gone up to 180 miles on the tank... i think it was at 24 on the 'trip F' meter when i filled up and 3.4 gals to fill completely

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

I downloaded the Fuelly app and tracked the last two fill ups. I'm sitting at 53.7 mpg.

- xCarbonSteelx

• 8 months later...

I ride my bike kinda hard and use to get 48mpg avg.

I got my ECU flashed by 2WDW and now get 39 avg (which is really low)

I've always been using regular gas (87). Am I suppose to use premium (91) after the flash to get better consumption?

• Premium Member

@bino 2wdw has recommended to use at least 91 octane i believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. After my ecu flash I've been getting an average of 50mpg with 93 octane. Lately my right wrist has been more aggressive and my last fill was 45mpg.

AlbatrossCafe

Here is a chart I have made to track my last 10k miles or so: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mgEUy_NX1UTJQVReO04lqZK5WfhOWQTdvvwgmeSd-mQ/edit?usp=sharing

I average in the high 40's, mixed riding (commuting), and don't ride super hard but not too tame either. 6'2" ~255lbs with all my gear & backpack on. Broad shoulders, no windscreen, custom dual headlight, Akra Carbon with ECU flash, Pilot Road 4 tires. I use Premium gas every time. That's all I can think of that may affect mileage...

• Global Moderator
@bino 2wdw has recommended to use at least 91 octane i believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. After my ecu flash I've been getting an average of 50mpg with 93 octane. Lately my right wrist has been more aggressive and my last fill was 45mpg.
91 octane is only recommended for the akro ti flash because of a pinging issue that has developed under heavy accel

87 is fine for their other flashes

I really don't check mine and don't care. But I happen to scroll through it last night and I was doing 47 mpg which is better than I'm used to from my other bikes. Even with my supersport I didn't care to check my mpg. This bike is a weekend toy for me.

Greatness

othgbronco82
I ride my bike kinda hard and use to get 48mpg avg. 
I got my ECU flashed by 2WDW and now get 39 avg (which is really low)

I've always been using regular gas (87). Am I suppose to use premium (91) after the flash to get better consumption?
I'm at 45-ish mpg. And that's averaging anywhere from 70-110 mph. Yes, I'm a dumbass and have a very heavy wrist. :D Also, that's with the 2WDW flash, full delkevic exhaust, and 91. I use 91 since it's cheap enough to fill it up so why not. I did run 87 in it as that was all the pump had and it ran really rough and didn't like it at all. But, it was either that or diesel so...

Archived