The MT-07 Forum

What kind of MPG do you guys get?

Guru

I have been averaging just under 58mpg. 88hp engine, Hordpower airbox, Yosh w/db killer, PCV with per gear mapping, and also a flash. 02 sensor installed, with Dynojet optimizer doing it's 14.2:1 thing in ECO mode. :)

J.D. Hord

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
othgbronco82
@othgbronco82 did you remove snorkel or leave it?
I just pulled the rubber snorkel out and left the actual air box lid on. It's the little snorkel itself that restricts airflow since it goes about halfway into the airbox past the lid. If you take it out you'll see what I mean.

I refilled yesterday with regular but on my next refill i will put premium and let you know if i see a big difference.

I ride every day to work (20 miles rounds trip, half of it is freeway) at the same hours and the same way (kinda hard) so it should be "fairly" accurate for real word testing.

Display says 52.4, which I'm sure is very close because my manual calculations are always between 49 and 55. I'm 6'1" 230 lbs so I'm sure that's where my extra 6 or 7 mpg the EPA claims had gone too....hauling my fat butt. haha

• 3 months later...
Display says 52.4, which I'm sure is very close because my manual calculations are always between 49 and 55. I'm 6'1" 230 lbs so I'm sure that's where my extra 6 or 7 mpg the EPA claims had gone too....hauling my fat butt. haha
If you have a pipe it also takes away from the MPG. Stock you're really reserved most of the time. With a pipe your hand and wrist turn into lead.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I am 5'9" 195 lb and get right around 80 mpg (Canadian gallon) about 67 mpg (US gallon.)  I should qualify these figures by mentioning that I am 58 years old and drive my bike very gently most of the time.  BTW my bike is completely stock. :)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member

235lbs loaded. 91 gas with zero performance mods, no windscreen. I get 43-45mpg. I'm t sea level, and run 80% freeway.

Can't really get that number to move regardless of how I ride it.

Don't care much either, its triple the mpgs of my Jeep... LOL

'16 FZ07

235lbs loaded. 91 gas with zero performance mods, no windscreen. I get 43-45mpg. I'm t sea level, and run 80% freeway.  

Your Jeep gets good gas mileage. I'm almost 5x what my Jeep gets.

• Premium Member

all relative lol... details on the jeep please? 

'16 FZ07

all relative lol... details on the jeep please?

'98 6cyl/locked f&r/hi-lines/cage/beadlocks/etc.
94202782b48884a211abd5a8c08d3b6f.jpg

Nice, I like seeing the modified Subies.
Thanks, bought it for 800 bucks, put about 1500 into it.  Still a giant turd, but gets way more smiles and thumbs-up than my Jeep ever did.  I will get another XJ one day though.  Ive already got a rear axle in my garage.

Don't know how accurate it is but my bike tells me that on my last recorded trip I averaged 71.4 mpg. and that's with mods. I have an EJK, an Akrapovic c.f. pipe and a K&N air filter.

Beemer

Don't know how accurate it is but my bike tells me that on my last recorded trip I averaged 71.4 mpg. and that's with mods. I have an EJK, an Akrapovic c.f. pipe and a K&N air filter.
Damn dude. Do you drive like a granny?

Why do you ask? Are you looking to hook up with one? I live in a retirement center so I know a few that would love to meet you. One is like 96 but she's a real cutie!  ;)

Beemer

Why do you ask? Are you looking to hook up with one? I live in a retirement center so I know a few that would love to meet you. One is like 96 but she's a real cutie!  ;)
Hahaha, no. I already have a leather riding jacket. I don't need something else stiff and wrinkly.

• 7 months later...

When the bike was new and I was taking it easy, except for that occasional throttle squeeze to add pressure to the rings, I saw 75 mpg! I now routinely see upper 60s (even while thrashing in 2nd and 3rd gear) and still see 70-ish here and there w/o trying. Dang impressive. It's all OE.

That is very impressive, Rick! When my cousin rode mine while I tried his KTM 950 SE, he could only muster 47 mpg. Instead of sitting in 6th, like I typically do, he was riding almost solely in 3rd and 4th gear.

That is very impressive, Rick! When my cousin rode mine while I tried his KTM 950 SE, he could only muster 47 mpg. Instead of sitting in 6th, like I typically do, he was riding almost solely in 3rd and 4th gear.
Ya know, it seems a bit contradictory - loaf along in 6th gear to get the revs down and get crappy fuel mileage vs. keeping revs well up and getting good mileage.  
But I see this on both of my bikes. This is only a guess mind you. But I think if you run the motor near the bottom of the torque curve, every time you accelerate or climb a grade you wind up with bigger throttle settings/variations than if you were in the meat of the torque curve and could just hold the throttle steady to climb that grade. think of it as stretching the rubber band and waiting for the bike to catch up as opposed to pulling the bike by a cable. There's just more energy lost in the former.

Like I said, it's just a guess.

I won't even put my Aprilia into 6th gear until going 70 mph (it'll pull 60 mph in 6th w/o issue, but) and even then, only if I'm on a highway and will be traveling that speed or higher consistently. I routinely see high 40s with that 530 lb, 115 hp bike on 2ndary roads w/o seeing 5th much and never seeing 6th gear. Cruise along on the highway and that bumps into the low 50s. On the FZ, that goes up a gear as the Futura is geared taller, but still. I thik fuel mileage could even be better with a bit taller gearing - even if that means staying in a lower gear longer.

Of course, weighing a whopping 145 lbs or so with gear doesn't hurt neither. I also get out of 1st gear pretty quick as a habit. Just no need - especially with the FZ's OE gearing.

I've only got 350 miles on my FZ and I've been averaging around 50-55. Like Rick mentioned, I have noticed that going 60 in 6th does seem to lug the engine with elevation changes. I've seen the instant read out upwards of 60-70 when cruising while keeping the RPM's in the sweet spot.

Archived