The MT-07 Forum

Fork upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

So if the fork oil is changed to something heavier, compression would suffer (since small hole) but rebound would be better (since large hole)?
Yup, you got it and well summarized! There isn't much of a discussion about which oil to use because the worthwhile remedies (GVE or cartridge) to the problem have "well known" oil weight answers and the readily available oils in say 10W are pretty close to each other in cSt terms.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

or DIY on replacing fork springs, or full on cartridges. 

There's a couple threads on doing the GVE mod and over in the How-TO section there was a fork spring change one I believe. The Andreani thread is pretty detailed and has rider reviews in it.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
thomascrown

It might be possible to slap R6S front forks, fz1 triple tree, fz09 discs together.  The triple tree is where things get complicated.  Making it look oem would be the difficult part.  

• 1 month later...

I was looking for swap with other bikes forks with 41mm. Options i found:

Thundercat with same calipers mountings bolts (not sure if it has bigger rotors) and compression-rebound and spring regulation. 

SV650 gen 1 and gen 2 with compression-rebound and spring regulation but only on some % of bikes 

and that is it :(

First R6 has 43mm forks sadly because they are good quality for that old suspension.

Im trying to get some Thundercat and SV forks for tryout, but personally im thinking about upsidedown form R6 RJ11-RJ15 because similar weight and my track r6 in garage for tryouts.

Thundercat with same calipers mountings bolts (not sure if it has bigger rotors) and compression-rebound and spring regulation.  
SV650 gen 1 and gen 2 with compression-rebound and spring regulation but only on some % of bikes 

Not sure what you're seeing in SV650 forks. They are no different than FZ07 except the damper rod is built better. If you want a 'good' damper rod, try the R3. But we're still talking damper rods and frankly very much doubt it'll make any discernible difference. Save the $50, do something else instead. The only thing the SV has that the FZ doesn't have is spring preload.

The YFZ-6R has 'ok' cartridges. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YZF600R) Obviously much better than a damper rod by a mile, but they still need to be re-worked. The big win is readily available aftermarket rotors. Good catch @ok those calipers might indeed be identical. Like I mentioned in that other thread about rotors (http://fz07.org/thread/3545/ebc-front-brake-rotor-alert) and how the FZ07 designer didn't use any of the standard parts Yamaha has used over the years: the thundercat uses WK021L/R 300 132 5 6 150 8,5 - everything perfect except it's a 6-hole instead of a 5 hole mount.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm looking at Maxton suspension...

Here's their option for the front http://maxtonsuspension.co.uk/files/gp20.htm
And their 2 options for the rear;
1 - http://maxtonsuspension.co.uk/files/nr4.html 
2 - http://maxtonsuspension.co.uk/files/rt10.htm
They build the whole lot to rider weight and riding style, including spring rates and valving.
Would be good to hear people views?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Matt, you can add the just announced option from Ohlins for a fork cartridge kit, but details, price and availability etc is not yet announced. It is similar in construction to Matris F15, but uses the NIX layout as known from their NIX30 kits, here in 22mm. Left leg is compression with a lowspeed adjuster at the fork top, right leg is rebound with a lowspeed adjuster at the fork top and both legs have spring preload at the fork top. Looking at the pictures they seem to retain the normal NIX singlevalve setup, so it shall be interesting to see how it performs. The Yamaha MT-07 fitment is specifically listed in the product news. BR, Jan.

http://www.ohlins.com/product/nix-22-series-cartridge-kit/

• Like 1

Actually it's comparable to the Andreani. The Matris is a proper 4-piston design and zero mod. This will require gutting the fork tube just like the Andreani to get the cartridge thru.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Here is a better picture which shows why I compared it to Matris, it is a combination of the two - Andreani and Matris - in that physically and fittingwise it is close to Matris and dampingwise it is closer to Andreani. I do not think that it is necessary to modify or gut the forks in any way, based on below picture:

nMU7o3v.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

i don't if this has been discussed,but ap motorsports is selling a 40 dollar bearing that allows a complete usd r6 front end to be installed.heavier and stiffer than stock,and allows for better brakes.don't know about geometry,turning lock-benefits vs. good cartridge in stock fork?-i started adding up the costs-complete r6 front end on ebay-700-1000-then maybe respringing,revalving,maybe caliper rebuild,pads,brake lines,rotors,front fender-gets pretty crazy.

There is precedent to the R6 graft, the SV650 community did the same thing with GSXRs especially by racers. For the Gen1 owners Zoran had a like bearing. If you're going to race the FZ07, it might be worth looking into but like you noted, bring a sack of money.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

> The Duc 1098 S front end works well with the FZ 07, but is about 1 inch too short.
> That was compensated by making the top clamp 1 inch thicker on the clamp ends and using
> a 1 inch extended fork cap.

Good grief, talk about trying WAY too hard. Obviously he had the mill and the inclination to do it and good on him. But it's the farthest thing from a "every man" solution. What seems to be overlooked is the front-end has to match the frame/head stock. Putting a super rigid front end on a comparatively 'wimpy' frame isn't going to help and likely to add new problems. There is nothing magical about sportbike cartridges - it's massively easier to just put the guts inside the OE forks and there's absolutely no hassle with wheels, fenders, headlights etc.

The funny thing is I could have put the Ducati guts inside the FZ07, retuned the valving, and even contoured the cap to fit so at a casual glance it looked like it had the SBK-style forks. All that effort when simply lengthening the internals by an inch and he'd be done in 30 minutes.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Zoran is that you? Alright I was over-simplifying and probably being a little flippant. The original has 120mm of travel, so going to 135 isn't out of the question.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Problem is you are limited with bushing location, especially on forks with both bushings in outer tube. Some you can extend about 10mm and some none. Reason they make longer caps for them.

• Premium Member
Problem is you are limited with bushing location, especially on forks with both bushings in outer tube. Some you can extend about 10mm and some none. Reason they make longer caps for them.
Agreed, When I was at Race Tech we had some issues lengthening most forks when doing the R&D on Race Tech's 25mm cartridge kits. Very few were able to be lengthened without a issue with the bushings. 

• 2 weeks later...