The MT-07 Forum

Distance to empty

so1102

• Global Moderator

If the fuel pump meter is to be believed... 2.87gal to truly brim the tank from flashing

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been only getting around 34mpg. My usual fill up is $4.00 at $2.59 per gallon. I do wish these tanks were larger. Went for a nice ride and had to fill up twice whilst the other riders only stopped once and some even went the whole ways. I never let my bike get down to one bar. As soon as I see that second bar lit I plot a course for a station.

While you're pushing your bike to the gas station and you want to know the outside air temperature, simple, easy push of a button.

• Global Moderator
Ive been only getting around 34mpg. My usual fill up is $4.00 at $2.59 per gallon. I do wish these tanks were larger. Went for a nice ride and had to fill up twice whilst the other riders only stopped once and some even went the whole ways. I never let my bike get down to one bar. As soon as I see that second bar lit I plot a course for a station.

By my math you are not even putting two gallons in there. Are you waiting until you get the last segment flashing before you fill up? If so then there is something wrong with your fuel guage.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
You're way too cautious. I wait until I get at a minimum to one bar to fill up. Once the F trip comes on, you have around 45-55 miles to go, depending on how fast you are going.

I look at it like this, the fuel reading is split into 1/3s. Your first half of the fuel reading is the first third, once your f trip comes up you have gotten through 2/3s and you are on your last 1/3.

SigSide.jpg

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. Yes, I am way too cautious. Have only had my FZ07 since late february and am not comfortable with her yet.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Only 34mpg? I find that hard to believe. Do you ride around at 60mph in 2nd gear? My last fill-up was 52.47mpg calculated by miles/gallons put in, that was also riding it pretty hard and 100% stop and go city driving.  
I usually go 15-25 miles on f-trip before I fill up, this usually gets me 150-160 miles to a tank. Still haven't put more than 2.9xx gallons in. 

• Premium Member

My last two tanks averaged 38.4mpg all city driving, best I have ever done on the bike is 46.3mpg and that was babying the bike.
The worst I have ever done is 34.9mpg but that was when she was new (a week old) so I would say 35.8mpg being my worst. I use aCar app on my galaxy to keep track of fuel and oil changes, works pretty good once you learn to use it.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I always divide miles (on trip 1) by gallons put in at the gas pump, which is always reset every time I fill up before I start the bike. The worst I've done was 47mpg and that was when the bike had 0-140 miles on it. Always been 52+mpg since then and that's hitting redline/80mph at least a few times every time I'm on the bike and only city driving. I tend to cruise around 4,500 rpms, seems the best place to sit for fuel economy and won't lug the engine when you need to get on it.

I couldn't imagine getting in the 30s and not being able to get more than 110 miles on a tank. 

I've always been into gas mileage pretty heavily trying to squeak out every bit of mpg possible while still beating on the bike pretty hard. Tire pressure and cruising rpm are easily the biggest factors. If you're around 3,000rpm you might think you're saving gas but the bike has to work a lot harder to compensate for even small throttle inputs. Around 5k it's working faster, obviously, but it's much easier on the engine. Just have to find what works best for your riding style. 

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I always divide miles (on trip 1) by gallons put in at the gas pump, which is always reset every time I fill up before I start the bike. The worst I've done was 47mpg and that was when the bike had 0-140 miles on it. Always been 52+mpg since then and that's hitting redline/80mph at least a few times every time I'm on the bike and only city driving. I tend to cruise around 4,500 rpms, seems the best place to sit for fuel economy and won't lug the engine when you need to get on it. 
I couldn't imagine getting in the 30s and not being able to get more than 110 miles on a tank. 

I'm always been into gas mileage pretty heavily trying to squeak out every bit of mpg possible while still beating on the bike pretty hard. Tire pressure and cruising rpm are easily the biggest factors. If you're around 3,000rpm you might think you're saving gas but the bike has to work a lot harder to compensate for even small throttle inputs. Around 5k it's working faster, obviously, but it's much easier on the engine. Just have to find what works best for your riding style. 
Yeah, I've never gotten less than 100 miles for a fill up, though Ivery never done street only riding...

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Haha, I had an F trip yesterday. Went 15 miles. Good to know it's about a gallon left. I should've put two and two together when I only fill up 2.5 gallons or so. 15 ain't nothing when I average 58-60 miles/gallon.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Haha, I had an F trip yesterday. Went 15 miles. Good to know it's about a gallon left. I should've put two and two together when I only fill up 2.5 gallons or so. 15 ain't nothing when I average 58-60 miles/gallon.

Wo,that sounds great! How are you getting 58-60 mpg? Are you pusshing it half of the way? :D

MT-07 Prospect

Guest Ralph

A lot depends on were you ride, I never ride mine in town riding
out in the sticks at reasonable speeds will near double your mpg,
on a recent trip to Scotland UK we travel'd at the leagle limit 70 mph
or shall we say around there and both bikes my MT-07 and a 800 BMW
the water cooled twin one did just over 81 UK mpg about 67 US mpg.

martyinaustin

made it all the way (not on purpose i assure you) to 26 miles on the F. when i filled up, i still only put in about 3.2 gallons
so i think i could have made it to 30+...open farm road driving...so i was getting good milage.

marty

Wo,that sounds great! How are you getting 58-60 mpg? Are you pusshing it half of the way? :D
This blows my mind that people aren't getting this!! :) I assume @motomeek was referring to highway mileage. That is what my got since I bought it. Well, maybe not the first couple hundy miles. If I'm not accelerating hard, I always cruise with the dash indicator for ECO displayed. Works perfect.

I, also, got 42 miles on the F. And had a few hiccups before. The tank's fill up was 12,654 liters (3.3 gallons). So the tank would hold around 1.5 liter (0.36 gallons) that is useless. I usually don't push over 25 miles on the F.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Guest Ralph

Back it right down in top and it will get you about 50 miles on the F trip
a lot more fun than pushing if you end up miles from fuel.

This blows my mind that people aren't getting this!! :) I assume @motomeek was referring to highway mileage. That is what my got since I bought it. Well, maybe not the first couple hundy miles. If I'm not accelerating hard, I always cruise with the dash indicator for ECO displayed. Works perfect.
Don't forget that some people calculate their mpg manually and some other use the on board computer. The on board computer is generally off by 5mpg, so you will have different answers for the exact same trip with the same use of the bike if you are using one or the other. Add 5mpg to your on board reading and you should get pretty close to reality.

Don't forget that some people calculate their mpg manually and some other use the on board computer. The on board computer is generally off by 5mpg, so you will have different answers for the exact same trip with the same use of the bike if you are using one or the other. Add 5mpg to your on board reading and you should get pretty close to reality.

True, the only accurate way is to do the math. I never use the dash as it is always incorrect. I don't think there has been an accurate mileage display since they were invented. It's a cool feature, but quite misleading, and I assume it's this way because it doesn't compare fuel capacity to miles driven, but instead looks at injector pulse width, correct? And Pulse width doesn't translate to MPG.

True, the only accurate way is to do the math. I never use the dash as it is always incorrect. I don't think there has been an accurate mileage display since they were invented. It's a cool feature, but quite misleading, and I assume it's this way because it doesn't compare fuel capacity to miles driven, but instead looks at injector pulse width, correct? And Pulse width doesn't translate to MPG.
Coming from a bike that didn't have a fuel gauge, I am so used to counting miles I don't even think about not doing it. I don't trust any fuel gauge to be really accurate and definitely don't trust the MPG gauge. Here is my actual data on MPGs since owning the bike. If you click on the banner here, you can see each fuel up and how many miles I got on that tank:  
379745.png

I use an app called FuelLog to track fill ups on my phone. I export this data periodically and upload it to Fuelly (separate platform) to compare with fuel economy other riders are getting. Helps me know if I'm within the norms of the bike (or car).

As you can see, my worst was 45mpg (this was right after I installed the EJK, was having some fun lol) and my best was 66mpg[span] (highway miles), with my average being 57mpg.   

So, by my calculashunz, going off my worst gas mileage, when the fuel light comes on, meaning I have .7 gallons of gas left according the manual, I can ride at least another 31 miles. 

When I am on F, I usually ride about 20 miles or so and end up putting in about 2.5 gallons, give or take a little. To me that adds up right. The tank holds 3.7 gallons and remember that INCLUDES the .71 gal reserve.

Not sure if it was this thread or another, but someone mentioned actual tank capacity being smaller than the advertised capacity. The suspicion stemming from when filling up only putting in 2.5 gallons or so. If you take a look in the manual, you'll see this:

[div style=text-align:center]Ro85mLn.png[/div]
So, maybe due to the tanks design it holds slightly less fuel than the advertised 3.7 gal. I don't know. Maybe they are filling it with the kickstand down. Personally, I sit on the bike when I put gas in, so the tank is level. Or at the very least, I turn the front wheel straight, so the bike has the least lean angle.

I would like to get a fuel can one of these days and just run the bike totally out of gas to see how far I can really get on a full tank. I have always done that with my cars, but of course it's much easier to throw a gas can in a car, than on a bike.  :D [/span]

Archived