The MT-07 Forum

Wrong fork bushings installed at factory - heavy wear ensues

pattonme

Guest unknown
ObtwII, the Yamaha rep got my input & sent a UPS shipping label for the old bushings. They are still collecting data to understand what's going on. 

Catfish ...

Awesome! Did he have any further information to add? 

ObtwII, the Yamaha rep got my input & sent a UPS shipping label for the old bushings. They are still collecting data to understand what's going on. 

Catfish ...

Nothing new. Like my photos showed, the oem lower bushing had too-large of gap. In 2000 miles though, my bushing did not show excessive wear.

Catfish ...

Catfish ...

I'm dang impressed with how Yamaha is paying attention to this.  
If only there was a part that could be measured that's causing these bikes to stall inconsistently

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
Yes, I wish I had THAT tool when I took mine apart!!! 
There must have been a 1/2-inch length of serious thread sealant on the damper bolt. My various damper & cartridge holders did not work. The damper just spun too. Borrowed a BIGGER air compressor to use my old air impact wrench, and finally got 'em out. What a PAIN!!!

That pronged holder above looks like a new tool I should get. Thanks for the links gentlemen!

Obtw, the Traxxion Fork Kit works WELL with my dialed-in Penske! YaHOO, she's ready for track days!!! :-)

Catfish ...

Have we heard anything more on this from yamaha? Has anyone reported a failure of the bushing?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

It's been crickets. I've gotten no traction from Kawasaki whatsoever. FWIW I bought like 8 sets of just the lower bushing from AllBalls.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I am glad I found this thread before I break down my forks to put the GV's in ( no comments Patttonme). Still waiting for preload adjuster caps to arrive. I will check and report on the lower bushes in the Aussie model. If they are OK it will point to a factory run problem I would think. You can pass that on to Yammy USA.
If the right ones are a preexisting part hopefully I can get them in Aus if mine are wrong. Otherwise the postage will be more than the part.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I had mine worked on a couple of days ago and made a point to ask about this. The guy I took it too explained how the forks wear the bushings and whatnot and showed me a worn bushing next to the one he took out of my bike. The one from mine was almost pristine compared to the worn one. So, I assume this is an isolated problem.

I had mine worked on a couple of days ago and made a point to ask about this. The guy I took it too explained how the forks wear the bushings and whatnot and showed me a worn bushing next to the one he took out of my bike. The one from mine was almost pristine compared to the worn one. So, I assume this is an isolated problem.
What is your serial #?

What is your serial #?
500 and 7k miles

I took apart @montana07's forks over the weekend and his are worn thru. That makes it what, 5 out of 5 (of what I've opened), and 6/7 across the wider community of FZ07? The EX650 count is 2/3.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I took apart @montana07's forks over the weekend and his are worn thru. That makes it what, 4 out of 5?
And that's for our 7s. That doesn't include the Kaws you've opened up and found the same, correct?. 
Not a happy trend for sure. 

I took apart @montana07's forks over the weekend and his are worn thru. That makes it what, 4 out of 5?
How many miles on montanas07? I need to upgrade but want to wait for Fall if I can. I"m approaching 4000 miles.

• Premium Member

This is not good... Looks like I need to get the proper bushings and have a talk with the local suspension shop after I order the traxxion damper rod kit...grumbles...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Looks like the Aussie MT07 has the same problem. Finally took my forks apart to instal the gold valves and ...yep... gapeing bush.
IMGP0653.jpg
Couldn't find any online is Australia so I had to order from the US. Freight twice the price of the items. The bike will be out of action for weeks now.

• Premium Member

I'm glad ordered the right bushings and for the price it's gonna cost to get the forks rebuilt with the right bushings is better than constantly thinking that forks are potentially defective with the wrong bushings is worth the peace of mind that follows...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

@gregjet should have just bought the Yam cruiser bushing from your local dealer. Would have saved you a ton of time if not money.

from http://fz07.org/post/30480
> 95-97 ZX6F or 98 Yam XV650 V-star

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Looks like the Aussie MT07 has the same problem. Finally took my forks apart to instal the gold valves and ...yep... gapeing bush. IMGP0653.jpg
Couldn't find any online is Australia so I had to order from the US. Freight twice the price of the items. The bike will be out of action for weeks now.
Hmmm.............we need a dislike button. 
I've been wondering if I need to check the forks on Pixie. Probably should.  :(

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator
Looks like the Aussie MT07 has the same problem. Finally took my forks apart to instal the gold valves and ...yep... gapeing bush. IMGP0653.jpg
Pixie?
As in pepskipixiepestrenomi?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Pixie? As in pepskipixiepestrenomi?

Ha ha ha  yeah. My bike is the nimble pixie. Names

Illegitimi non carborundum

Well I just now stumbled into this mess...I have 9200 miles on mine and I've noticed the past couple hundred miles my front has felt "stiffer". Feels like bumps are harder. What would these bushings cause if they are worn out?????????

@toomanytoys' bushings from this morning. *Just* 800 hard miles. So I'm 6 for 6 I believe.

2015-06-04%2007.10.43.jpg

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

If your batting 6 for 6 and the forks came from all over the USA and the land down under and all very differ production numbers I am gonna assume all fz-07 have the wrong bushings...

If your batting 6 for 6 and the forks came from all over the USA and the land down under and all very differ production numbers I am gonna assume all fz-07 have the wrong bushings...
All except for the one that Yamaha opened up, of course! 

Pattonme, You obviously haven't attempted to order Yamaha spare parts in Australia. It will take me weeks, if not months, to get anything here. I was racing a little Commuterlite YZFR125 ( the one in my profile pic). Most of the bike has to be stock for the class so had to order a few things through Yamaha Aus. Gave up very quickly and ordered from England, US, Canada and Thailand , even Greece. ALL were faster than buying it in Australia. This is pretty much the same for almost anything that isn't ultra high volume in this country.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest montana07
How many miles on montanas07? I need to upgrade but want to wait for Fall if I can. I"m approaching 4000 miles.
Sorry for the delay I've been traveling the last few weeks.  My bike only has 1970 miles so it appears it can definitely be a problem early.@pattonme