The MT-07 Forum

Stalling Issues?

Guru

A hair over 3000 miles and mine tried to die on me (for about the 6th time since new) when pulling away at a light yesterday. The funny thing was I was moving ok after the clutch was completely engaged, clutch lever all the way out and then it hiccuped. I let off the gas a hair and back on it and then it acted right and accelerated. I just know it stalling like that is going to put me and bikie down one day. I try to be careful not to lean when taking off cause that's when it's going to fall over when it dies but I can't always remember to take off with the bike perfectly straight up each time. Where's my 714's?!

Beemer

Mine cut out a few times up to 600 miles than only now and then till about 2/3000 then nothing till today at around 6000 when it cut dead changing from 3rd to 2nd for a humped
back bridge sodding thing.
You mean it completely died at speed? Not just a hiccup and kept running? Mine's never done that and I hope it never does, that's totally dangerous.

Beemer

• Global Moderator
Mine cut out a few times up to 600 miles than only now and then till about 2/3000 then nothing till today at around 6000 when it cut dead changing from 3rd to 2nd for a humped
back bridge sodding thing.
You mean it completely died at speed? Not just a hiccup and kept running? Mine's never done that and I hope it never does, that's totally dangerous.
Had mine do this a couple times recently, have over 11k on my bike. the culprit for me ended up being the kickstand itself. Id hit a bump or something to jar it and the switch would attempt to kill the engine. Check the tension on your return spring as well as the position of the switch. Might be as easy as cleaning and lubing it.
  • Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Guest Ralph

No it died as I changed down, pull in clutch touch throttle to match revs but instead of a little
rev dead, normally it would have been fine but on hump back bridge it caught me out fired right back
up but annoying and luckily the cagers were on the ball so didn't get rear ended, been fine again
over the last 2 hundred miles 6000 service in 2 week will have another go at the dealer get them
to
log it stress the safety aspect and all that then a good blast to Scotland twice next month so that
will loosen it up a bit more.

With any luck, Yamaha will quietly do the same ecu tricks to the new FJ/Tracer version that's coming that they did with the new FZ09s. And with more luck, they'll let us do a free reflash as well. Gotta believe the dealers have had an ear-full by now. Yamaha will have heard as well.

Mine did it a few times when it was new.. After 1500 miles it has stopped having the problem.Hope yours does the same.
Zamp

I think I just had this same issue yesterday, downshifting from 3rd to 2nd rolling up to a stoplight. I'm a new rider, so I thought it was me stalling out again. But I'm pretty sure I had my clutch in and was still moving at least 20 mph. I only realized the engine was off from the red oil light. Incredibly confusing at the time, good thing I had time at the stop light to sort it out. Engine started up again no problems while I was still in 2nd with the clutch in.

Happened with 210-220 miles on the bike. Glad I was just coming up to a stop and not in the middle of a turn. I'm so inexperienced I'm sure I would have gone down...

• Premium Member

Never had a stall while riding except once when the bike was new to me and I didn't throttle enough, and once when I adjusted my new after market clutch lever and engaged sooner than expected.

But I have had it stall a few times during warmup, which is not confidence inspiring, on the other hand it seems to run really well, and start well. There was a one day period where it was hard to start and had some false starts but I am convinced it was bad gas or water in the gas because it completely sucked for like 2-3 startups and then I never had the problem again except as I said, maybe twice it simply stopped during warmup, after about 20-30 seconds of starting.

I now avoid the cheap gas stations and use premium gas and I have had no problems.

All in all I am happy with the performance and as I said, it has never failed me in traffic or on the road that wasn't user error.

Databyter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ralph

Right bike as just been in for it's 6000 mile service, mentioned the stalling, mine as not
stalled for 2/3000 miles then twice in a week, anyway went back for the bike and asked if
anything found re the stalling more like cutting out really, anyway at the end of the counter was
the workshop manager I think, what he said goes and he took a interest, I told him
what was happening and what I thought it was and he said they had done one a few weeks back
and had heard nothing since, so they dragged it back in the workshop and connected the computer
did a throttle body balance, it was very slightly out they then reset the idle control valve
and deleted the idle memory to force the ecu to relearn it's idle settings, they then slightly
richened the idle mixture, they asked me to let them know how it went on.
I only did 14 miles home so not sure of the out come yet but it does feel better, the tick over feels
slower if anything, the bike seems to pick up better from tick over and run a little smoother at
slow speed not that it was bad anyway, it as not stalled and when I got it home I tried to make it
do so, I also get smoother down changes as it picks up better when the throttle is blipped.
Early days yet but looking good off round the Lakes about 260 miles on Friday so we will see,
more when I have had chance to get it mad hot, and a few more miles.

• Like 1

Fancy some notion of what "richened up the idle" is quantitatively? Because I envision swarms of FZ07 bikes circling service departments across the country, blipping their throttles, stalling, and making gestures (think Mad Max biker gang) until the manager comes out wiping his hands on a shop towel and pleading for the safety of innocent women and children...

So is it a '3' or a '7' and what was the field on the tuner dohicky?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Global Moderator
Mine just started stalling this weekend, yay!
This is a good thing?
Hmmm, maybe a little yamaha action should be required here... its getting out of control

Honestly, with the stalling and pogo stick like suspension, my ride to Canada and back was lackluster. I like the torque curve on this bike, but I honestly think I liked my 2011 Ninja 650r better. I will keep riding and make my decision to keep the bike by next spring.

With the coming of a "tour"version of this bike next season, I'm gonna bet Yamaha will quietly massage the ecu to get rid of the stall issue w/o ever admitting there was one. Like the new FZ9s and FJ9s, hopefully, that ECU upgrade will be free.

As for the pogo-ing, a better shock in back with a proper rate spring will make that disappear and improve the ride quality at the same time. At that point, there's not much to dislike at under $8k. As for the Ninja 650R, it's really due for a character injection.

Guest Ralph

Well 330 miles on and I think it's fixed, tried to make it stall/cut without the slightest sign
of it wanting to even when mad hot in heavy traffic, I didn't see the numbers on the screen so
don't know the numbers, all the Yamaha's I have seen have started off differently form the factory
and have often had differing numbers for different cylinders on the same engine so it's likely
to be pretty meaning less anyway, so all I know is they richened it up a touch I take it when it's
closed loop, it had a very slight tendency to hunt a little nothing that worried me but that's gone
too, only strange thing is the MPG display now seems to be even more wide of the mark.
No woman or children were hurt in the adjusting or testing of this motorcycle.  ;)

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Damnit... took the bike in for it's 12k service last week. Now its stalling on me... happened x2 today.
Gonna take it back and see what tbey can do

• Like 1

So I stalled twice on the way to work for the first time on this bike. Each time was from stopping and turning at a light, but thinking back I'm pretty sure it was my fault and not the bike, like I could feel the bike jerk slightly which means I let go of the clutch to fast... But not 100% sure since I haven't stalled in the last 7 years with my old cbr600. So maybe it was just a bad morning for me. Wouldn't have even thought twice about this but I read about stalling issues here so thought I'd post my experience. My bike is at 2500 miles and had throttle body synced by myself at 600mi, everything else is stock.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, wow, what a wild ride this thread is. I just put my deposit on for a Saturday pick up and I am reading this now? WOW.
I never expected this from Yamaha, there is a reason i go for the big 4....and now this?

part of it I think is too clever by half ECU. It's trying to 'learn' and adapt to chase (I expect) a MPG number. Disconnect and remove the O2 sensor (plug the hole) and put the ECU in dumb mode, and make SURE that clutch interlock switch is properly connected. I am not aware of any bike (except perhaps recent models?) that played games with the switch and dorked around with ignition timing if it was activated or not. From the dawn of time it's role was to be a starter motor interlock and not a damn thing more. I wish car engineers would stay the hell out of motorcycles.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Yeah, I think if you spend a lot of time in traffic/stop-go, that long term fuel trim is causing this thing to go very, very lean and that's at the root of this. Someone a while back quoted an AF ratio at idle that was like all air and no fuel.

Mine's not even thought of stalling all summer - but I do almost no city riding in the summer when I have time to spend 2-4 hours on a ride. I'm out on 2ndary roads 99% of the time between 4-7k RPM. When it has stalled, I was doing short rides in town when the weather was not so great.

As for the clutch interlock, meh, my clutch freeplay is adjusted by the book. I;d be surprised if that's got anything to do with it. The guys who are having the ecu reflashed have no stalling issues and all that took was a bit more fuel at idle and maybe another 50 RPM idle speed. Would mileage suffer from that? Not if yer goin it won't

Mines stalled while splitting lanes! Could be super deadly but my inner Jedi felt it instantly somehow and by some miracle I restarted it quicker than I thought I'd be able to! Very very dangerous though. It was definitely not my fault. It's happened twice to me and every time it was while splitting lanes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
BMW is having to face the music. http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/bmw-g650ds-serato-recall

Anyone want to lay odds Yamaha gets dinged?
Ya think there's any way we can help push it through? Or is it something yamaha has to submit?
ive almost dropped my bike several times because of the funky fueling map on it